• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vibration After Atf Change

Thiwanka Wimalasuriya

Question

Dear Experts, I want your advice regarding ATF

I had my ATF changed at p**stop about month ago on my ht51s (Suzuki swift). They insisted that i do engine flush, throttle body clean etc.. and I allowed all that to be done. After that I feel that there is much vibration in the car, especially when its in D and break is fully depressed. I also checked ATF level and noticed that they have overfilled it. The level of ATF was about 1 cm above the max level when engine was cool and not running.

Can the vibration in D caused by overfilled ATF ?

I'm going to take it back to p**stop tomorrow. Is their any other place for Auto transmission diagnosis ?

regards

Edited by Thiwanka Wimalasuriya

Dear Experts, I want your advice regarding ATF

I had my ATF changed at p**stop about month ago on my ht51s (Suzuki swift). They insisted that i do engine flush, throttle body clean etc.. and I allowed all that to be done. After that I feel that there is much vibration in the car, especially when its in D and break is fully depressed. I also checked ATF level and noticed that they have overfilled it. The level of ATF was about 1 cm above the max level when engine was cool and not running.

Can the vibration in D caused by overfilled ATF ?

I'm going to take it back to p**stop tomorrow. Is their any other place for Auto transmission diagnosis ?

regards

What to you mean by "especially when its in D and break is fully depressed"? Does the break pedal vibrating?

What to you mean by "especially when its in D and break is fully depressed"? Does the break pedal vibrating?

no. the break pedal do not vibrate.

what i mean is that there is lot of vibration in the car after ATF change.

when i drive slowly i feel lot of vibration.

when i start the engine, press the break completely, and put the gear to D position, there is lot of vibration

when i put the dear to N or P, there is no vibration at all.

my question is that , can there be a connection between AFT change and this kind of vibration.

1. Who pays for an engine flush? seriously all you need to do is change your oil on time. Engine flushes are counterproductive.

2. With the engine running and at the optimal temp, change your gears in the following order: P-R-P-N-P-D-P-2-P-l-P. After that with the engine stil running and the gear in park, check your fluid. If it's still too high you would need to get some fluid taken out.

3. While i wouldn;t rule out a messed up tranny, I would also look into a cylinder misfire. Check your spark plugs for the correct gap and see if any are burnt or worn out, replace if needed (when replacing spark plugs, replace all four).

Edited by jdnet

1. Who pays for an engine flush? seriously all you need to do is change your oil on time. Engine flushes are counterproductive.

Thanks. The service person, really really sold it to me saying it is a must since I have done about 50k kilometers.

2. With the engine running and at the optimal temp, change your gears in the following order: P-R-P-N-P-D-P-2-P-l-P. After that with the engine stil running and the gear in park, check your fluid. If it's still too high you would need to get some fluid taken out.

Thanks. Will check that

3. While i wouldn;t rule out a messed up tranny, I would also look into a cylinder misfire. Check your spark plugs for the correct gap and see if any are burnt or worn out, replace if needed (when replacing spark plugs, replace all four).

Any good place to check if auto transmission has a problem ?

Are you sure the ATF is compatible? Do you know what sort they put in? Compare that with what's recommended in the manual. If it's not compatible, you may be heading towards a costly mistake. However, if that is the case it would be the fault of the place that did it, so you would need to take appropriate action.

Any particular reason they wanted you to do the transmission flush at 50k? Is that the recommended mileage in the manual, or something they wanted to do?

Edited by SeanD

Any particular reason they wanted you to do the transmission flush at 50k? Is that the recommended mileage in the manual, or something they wanted to do?

No car manual or manufacturer recommends engine flushes. It is as you said: counter productive in all but a handful of cases, therefore its not something manufacturers would state explicitly.

Edited by Kavvz

Thanks. The service person, really really sold it to me saying it is a must since I have done about 50k kilometers.

Thanks. Will check that

Any good place to check if auto transmission has a problem ?

1. They also sell nitrogen for tires, that doesn't mean you need it. Sometimes the cheapest route is the best route to take. Don't feel bad though, you aren't the only guy in the world to get coerced into opening your wallet for no reason.

2. Not sure about your car but on most new cars you can hook up a scanner and check the transmission for fault codes.

3. As a previous poster mentioned, it could very well be that they put in the wrong type of fluid. I suggest you not to drive it until you have the problem figured out as you may end up with a blown out transmission. If the fluid is wrong, get the transmission flushed along with a filter change and make sure you buy the right fluid from a suzuki dealership.

Any updates to this Thiwanka?

Not an expert, but sounds like the car may have a high idle after you had it tuned up (if thats what they actually did!). What is your idle rpm?

If its the kind of vibration because you have the gear in "D" and your foot on the brake, sounds like the engine is straining to 'release' the power to the drivetrain, and the whole car is shaking/vibrating as a result...

just a thought. hope the issue is resolved by now!

Edited by gunat

Any updates to this Thiwanka?

Not an expert, but sounds like the car may have a high idle after you had it tuned up (if thats what they actually did!). What is your idle rpm?

If its the kind of vibration because you have the gear in "D" and your foot on the brake, sounds like the engine is straining to 'release' the power to the drivetrain, and the whole car is shaking/vibrating as a result...

just a thought. hope the issue is resolved by now!

I had the same experiance with my Toyota. When I complained that car is vibrating they recommended me to do a tune up and I accepted. After that the vibration is become more. Still I am running with that thinking what to do. Most probabaly your case can be due to high idle after tune up.

Cheers

(with AC off)

idle rpm is about 800.

if I put gear in "D" and foot on the brake the rpm will go down to about 650. Does that indicate any problem ?

that may be the case.

If so it is not related to a engine flush or ATF change, isnt that so ?

I have complained this to A*W (where i did the ATF change and engine flush , etc), and I will be taking the car back to them next Monday.

Are you sure the ATF is compatible? Do you know what sort they put in? Compare that with what's recommended in the manual. If it's not compatible, you may be heading towards a costly mistake. However, if that is the case it would be the fault of the place that did it, so you would need to take appropriate action.

the dip stick says suzuki ATF 3317

A*W used DEXRON III

The A*W people say its compatible, but I have not verified this.

I do not have the owner manual. I don't think the manufacturer recommend engine flush.

The A*W people have remarked in the service booklet that next flush to be done after 30,000 km.

First of all if your car calls for ATF then it requires ATF. I've seen too many transmissions take a dump because of these idiot mechanics putting in dextron. I would fight them and demand they fix the problem as they are the dealers and they did something which was out of the reccommended specs. Demand that the flush your transmission and do a filter change and then put in the correct ATF fluid. I can guarantee your transmission will give you a load of problems should this not be corrected.

2. Engines flushes are the worst thing you can do to a car as it can break up deposits in the engine such as sludge and block oil inlets and outlets. The only thing you need to do on an engine is make sure you change the oil on time and the spark plugs when the manual requires. Engine flushes are just a way to dump money to make a problem worse.

3. If you need help explaining to these idiots that they just screwed up your tranny, I will be glad to offer them you insight and experience.

Sorry that I sound ticked off, but it's because I hate it when people won't admit thier mistakes.

Edited by jdnet

A*W used DEXRON III

I think your next ride in the car should be direct to A*W. Try not to drive the car much before that, cos incompatible fluid is not doing your transmission any good.

A*W used DEXRON III

The A*W people have remarked in the service booklet that next flush to be done after 30,000 km.

I think your next ride in the car should be direct to A*W. Try not to drive the car much before that, cos incompatible fluid is not doing your transmission any good.

Any body who can confirm Suzuki ATF 3317 is compatible with Dexron III .. if A*W said its compatible and if they do not have Suzuki original ATF then no good taking the car back to them..

man A*W is taking lot of heat in the forum lately.

I too send my Vehicle to A** for servicing, the last time they called me and mentioned that an engine flush needs to be done ( this is a 2001 manufactured car ). I agreed with them and it was done. After 3 days while driving I felt after I slow down the car does not pull and the RPM goes up, after a few seconds the car gets back to normal. Last night when I drove the car the same thing happened and the Engine Check Light came on.

Can someone advise me on this. Should I take the Car to A**?

I too send my Vehicle to A** for servicing, the last time they called me and mentioned that an engine flush needs to be done ( this is a 2001 manufactured car ). I agreed with them and it was done. After 3 days while driving I felt after I slow down the car does not pull and the RPM goes up, after a few seconds the car gets back to normal. Last night when I drove the car the same thing happened and the Engine Check Light came on.

You should probably take it to them, and everyone else should avoid doing this damn "engine flush"

You should probably take it to them, and everyone else should avoid doing this damn "engine flush"

Agreed! Its a marketing gimmick to add a few more thousands in to the service bill and it does more harm than good.

get someone to hook up and OBDII scanner to it. I'm willing to bet you are having misfires.

I had the same experiance with my Toyota. When I complained that car is vibrating they recommended me to do a tune up and I accepted. After that the vibration is become more. Still I am running with that thinking what to do. Most probabaly your case can be due to high idle after tune up.

Cheers

if you did a tune up they probably put in the wrong plugs (Always use OEM plugs. I think you should have NGK plugs). They may have also gapped em wrong.

Yesterday I took it back to A*W workshop and after being checked by so called their best guys , the final diagnosis was that, the throttle body was dirty. It's again pit***p fault because they did the trottle body cleaning together with ATF flush, engine flush etc.

They did the yesterdays diagnosis and fixes FOC.

The problem is now fixed.

1. ATF used was "Autran DX 111" (http://www.amwltd.com/Bp/html/product_details/details_transmission_dx3.htm) and as per both pit***p guys and workshop guys it is compatible with suzuki ATF 3317 . They call it as DEXRON III

2. workshop say there is nothing wrong with Tranny.

This was a good lesson learned. I should not have let them do the engine flush, etc , because what i needed to do was just to replace ATF, because it was brown color.

yes.

you can first send a comment from http://www.amwltd.com/pitstop/html/comments.htm and explain how you got the check engine problem just after the service. You will get a call from management within a day. I think you should also demand a FOC fix, if you believe that the service caused the issue. (I did same)

When i got my 1st car.. i was so eager to do a radiator/engine flush too. My luckly my father insist with big NOOOO. More and more i get used to car and femilierize with it now I know the flush is the last thing you should consider doing to your car.