• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dslr Prices In Sri Lanka After Tax Cut

Stingray

What is the best place to buy? Singapore or Malaysia

The prices are the same.. one might be slightly higher than the other based on which shops you check out the price at.

But i'd say get it in S'pore since if you do have a case where you need to claim warrenty you're more likely to find people going to S'pore than M'sia to send the camera with..

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After doing a fair bit of research on budget DSLR and coupled with the fact my cousin from Canada asked me what i wanted from there :) I told her to bring me a Sony Alpha A230. She has got it from there for CAN$470, which works to roughly Rs 50 000.

I did not want to go for a high end model as i am just trying to upgrade from the point and shoot user to a slightly advanced level!.

Yes the Sony A230 has its drawbacks like no live view and certain issues with the grip being too small. But overall reviews stated its an ideal DSLR for beginners.

Rebel XS was in mind but did not want to tax my cousin too much as she is getting me this as a gift!.

Have not checked the local prices though.

Thinking of getting a Nikon D90. It is around AUD1600 here. I will be travelling to SL in Dec via Malaysia. Will it be cheaper to get it in Malaysia or locally? And also could some one give me a rough price of this model in SL please?

Edited by Skyline R33

Thinking of getting a Nikon D90. It is around AUD1600 here. I will be travelling to SL in Dec via Malaysia. Will it be cheaper to get it in Malaysia or locally? And also could some one give me a rough price of this model in SL please?

About 141k LKR with the kit lens (18-105VR, is it?) on the "duty free" places. Obviously much higher at the agents.

Dunno about Malaysia but about 1600+ SGD in Singapore ( ~ 1175 USD) for the kit.

About 141k LKR with the kit lens (18-105VR, is it?) on the "duty free" places. Obviously much higher at the agents.

Dunno about Malaysia but about 1600+ SGD in Singapore ( ~ 1175 USD) for the kit.

Thanks Wish. They give two lence here a 18-55 VR and a 55-200 VR. I prefer a wide angle like what u have mentioned though. Also the SL one, which country is it made in? Honkong I assume.

Thanks Wish. They give two lence here a 18-55 VR and a 55-200 VR. I prefer a wide angle like what u have mentioned though. Also the SL one, which country is it made in? Honkong I assume.

Sorry about the late reply Skyline, I was away.

I just checked with a mate, the D90 he bought at Majestic City in SL was made in Thailand.

If i'm nt mistaken all D90's D5000's D3000's are made in thailand. (my D40x too)..... Not sure of the D300s's though...

Thanks Vish and Dilesh. I was wrong if it is from Hongkong. Dilesh, since you have a D40X, did you buy it in SL and how much is the current price? My friend was buying a used D40X here from another guy and asked for my Opinion. The camera was in very good condition and he asked for AUD 400. I told him it seemed to be a good deal. Just thought to get your opinion since you own one.

I bought mine in Dec 2007. Thats a long long time ago, in S'pore for SGD 960.00.. It was the latest entry level DSLR at the time. But there have been 3 other entries as the 'lowest' end since then, and they've been getting cheaper and cheaper.

Really not sure on the 2nd hand value of it right now, but i dont think its a lot. and the 2nd hand prices vary quite a bit depending on where you're buying it (along with what other stuff the seller includes such as kit lens, extra mem cards, extra batteries, bag etc etc).

Personal recomendation: if you're on a tight budget and want to get mroe lenses later on, ur better off going to Canon, as canon lenses are cheaper than Nikon AF-S lenses which are needed for models ranging from D40 all the way upto the D5000

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't we purchase a one from E bay? Have any of you guys or a friend of yours actually purchased a dslr from e bay? Any idea about the customs etc and the procedure we have to clear from customs?

Few days ago I bought a camera (Canon PowerShot SX30 IS) for 457USD(with EMS shipping) from eBay(Hong kong). Cleared it from customs after paying just Rs.850 :lol: without giving any bribes. Seller had marked it for 1000HK dollars. Received within 4 days after ordering.

Edited by hyacc

Few days ago I bought a camera (Canon PowerShot SX30 IS) for 457USD(with EMS shipping) from eBay(Hong kong). Cleared it from customs after paying just Rs.850 :lol: without giving any bribes. Seller had marked it for 1000HK dollars. Received within 4 days after ordering.

just wondering at what % did they taxed u? cos someone above mentioned its almost 12% + 5% + 3%, so if we take 1000HK$ ~ Rs.15000, then tax should be something around Rs3000.

Other thing is didnt they questioned/had any clue whether its undervalued, cos sx30 is not exactly an average looking point n shoot cam ne ;)

Anyway congrats on the new buy

just wondering at what % did they taxed u? cos someone above mentioned its almost 12% + 5% + 3%, so if we take 1000HK$ ~ Rs.15000, then tax should be something around Rs3000.

Other thing is didnt they questioned/had any clue whether its undervalued, cos sx30 is not exactly an average looking point n shoot cam ne ;)

Anyway congrats on the new buy

Thanks. If you buy some high value items on ebay and need express/courier service, always ask the seller to ship by EMS shipping. Because with EMS you can handle paying taxes yourself and from my experience buying several electronics/toys online for personal use, customs people normally accept whatever value mentioned in the invoice sent by the seller.

Edited by hyacc

Hey thanks man... I'll pm you if I need any advice

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I lost my compact Digi cam after 14 months of use. it was a sony W220 and was a great one!

Now set my sights on a new one but have a limited budget. Thought about the Sony HX1 since it had more features thought it's bulky. THen the H55 which is compact bt the speed is slow from the reviews I read.

A friend is trying to convince me to go for my first DSLR and suggested a Canon 450D (Moving from sony to another is one thing ;) )

There was a used one for around 430$ on ebay but would have gone by now (It was in aussie so I would have got someone to get it here)

SO if anyone knows about the Sony DSC HX1, what do you think? or should I go for a DSLR.

As for the usage, for most of the next year, I would be taking loads of ordinary photos of people and events and it requires mobility.

THereafter, I wouldn't be taking as many photos but would be concentrating on taking beautiful pics :)

Thanks in advance

As for the usage, for most of the next year, I would be taking loads of ordinary photos of people and events and it requires mobility.

THereafter, I wouldn't be taking as many photos but would be concentrating on taking beautiful pics :)

Thanks in advance

buy a canon/nikon point-n-shoot for the next year so that you can sell it off easily. And when you do want to start proper photography buy yourself an SLR.

No SLR will simply fit in your pocket like a P&S will, so you wont find one camera that suits your needs, cos frankly your needs are at the two ends of camera properties.

IMO, you'll be bneither here nor there if you go for the semi-pro/amature cos they simply wont give you the flexibility that a SLR does. You should be able to find a used DSLR even in sri lanka for under $430.. pretty sure on that..

buy a canon/nikon point-n-shoot for the next year so that you can sell it off easily. And when you do want to start proper photography buy yourself an SLR.

No SLR will simply fit in your pocket like a P&S will, so you wont find one camera that suits your needs, cos frankly your needs are at the two ends of camera properties.

IMO, you'll be bneither here nor there if you go for the semi-pro/amature cos they simply wont give you the flexibility that a SLR does. You should be able to find a used DSLR even in sri lanka for under $430.. pretty sure on that..

thanks for the reply..

is it easy to sell P&S, i mean cos even that range, the ones im interested are arnd 20k-30k so I dont think that would have a big resale value.

but i guess that's the way to go.

will keep posted :)

I'm curious. You'll have to define "beautiful pics". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all :)

well.. we'll just say that pics that 'most' will agree that they're beautiful :)

well.. we'll just say that pics that 'most' will agree that they're beautiful :)

Like I said, not precise. For example, I like action shots. Some people like portraits. Some like landscape. Some like products. Some like night shooting. Some like studio work with complicated light setups. Some like the fisheye effect, some don't. Some like thing DOF for isolation, some prefer wider DOF to capture the whole scene. Some think its beautiful as long as there a scantily dressed woman in the frame.

So... what do you think constitutes a beautiful shot? :)

Like I said, not precise. For example, I like action shots. Some people like portraits. Some like landscape. Some like products. Some like night shooting. Some like studio work with complicated light setups. Some like the fisheye effect, some don't. Some like thing DOF for isolation, some prefer wider DOF to capture the whole scene. Some think its beautiful as long as there a scantily dressed woman in the frame.

So... what do you think constitutes a beautiful shot? :)

ahh

i like portraits. but I like landscape much more!

If I'm doing serious photography, my main theme would be nature (wonder how close i can get though)

I like to have that wider DOF just for that, but then again i love the close ups of insects n animals.

With my P&S, i used to use the flash a lot to snap those exciting moments which would be done in a flash...

used it to great effect to take silly moments of ppl to bug them later on :D

Just saw the thread and saw to keep you guys posted. With the D90 I was planning to get finally I decided to get the body with a 18mm - 200mm Nikkor lens. The whole lot with the 8GB ultra fast card, Hoya filter and a bag came roughly around AUD 2000. There is already two D90 in the family with my cousin and uncle and was waiting to get this. Any one has the latest price of a D90 body or the lot with the lens in SL?