• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Brake, Engine, Battery Light Comes On

Car Lover

Question

10 answers to this question

Hi,

I just went to an auto electrician. He said seems alternator is defective, since battery charging voltage is below 12v.

He said need to remove the alternator and see.

So i have to keep my car there and come back. :(

After came home, I checked are there any alternator repair mannuals in the web, just to get an understanding of how it works...

Fortunately i found below from Toyota USA.

It's very informative, therefore thought sharing it for you all.

www.autoshop101.com/forms/h8.pdf

Hope this may useful.....

thanks.

Hi,

I just went to an auto electrician. He said seems alternator is defective, since battery charging voltage is below 12v.

He said need to remove the alternator and see.

So i have to keep my car there and come back. :(

After came home, I checked are there any alternator repair mannuals in the web, just to get an understanding of how it works...

Fortunately i found below from Toyota USA.

It's very informative, therefore thought sharing it for you all.

www.autoshop101.com/forms/h8.pdf

Hope this may useful.....

thanks.

Hi Dude

I think there is no link between your alternator and brake light to glow,

you get some other problem with your wiring system

thanks

Regards

sumith

Hi Dude

thanks

Regards

sumith

Read his post again, he says:

Hi,

I have Toyota Corolla CE96 Diesel 1991 Station Wagon.

Last week suddenly i got Brake, Engine, Battery warning lights continuously ON.

thanks.

He meant the warning lights came on, not that the brake lights were lit.

Read his post again, he says:

He meant the warning lights came on, not that the brake lights were lit.

I also meant Warning lights only(there the mistake "Brake Lights") since he talks about

warning lights, i did not mean that brake light actually.

Thanks

Regards

sumith

Hi Dude

thanks

Regards

sumith

in fact there is a link. That is the console panel gets to know that the engine is running is through the alternator in some systems. If that's the case there's a possibility of some warning lights of the dash board to stay on after engine start.

in fact there is a link. That is the console panel gets to know that the engine is running is through the alternator in some systems. If that's the case there's a possibility of some warning lights of the dash board to stay on after engine start.

Actually when alternator is generating Voltage only the system knows that car is in start, that is true,then it will off the battery lights . but Brake warning light works depending on a signal given by Master Brake cylinder sensor as of my knowledge,but i don't think that Brake warning and engine will depend on alternator signal.

Thanks

Regards

sumith

Actually when alternator is generating Voltage only the system knows that car is in start, that is true,then it will off the battery lights . but Brake warning light works depending on a signal given by Master Brake cylinder sensor as of my knowledge,but i don't think that Brake warning and engine will depend on alternator signal.

Thanks

Regards

sumith

you're missing the point here machang. Brake, charging, oil pressure (and some more indicators depending on options) warning lights on the dash comes at the point of ignition switch on. What is this mode? that's provided to check the bulbs of warning lights. If any of warning lights not lighting up in this mode means something wrong with the warning lamp itself. If these systems are normal then all these indicators suppose to go off after the engine start. But if system "thinks" that engine is not yet started, these lights could remain lit without any issue in these systems, namely, brake, oil. How system "thinks" that engine is running in most systems is through one supply line from alternator. So if this line doesn't feed anything to the system it continues to "think" that the engine is not running.

Further, for your information, brake warning light depends on many inputs, hand brake switch, pressure switch inside the servo unit, brake pads, oil level of the brake oil reservoir.

Further, for your information, brake warning light depends on many inputs, hand brake switch, pressure switch inside the servo unit, brake pads, oil level of the brake oil reservoir.

Thanks Harshan,

one other thing, the vacume required for the brake booster is generated by the vacumme pump built in to the alternator of these models, if the alternator is not driven fine the vacumme generation is poor and warning will appear as a failiure in the alternator current and low vaccume.

Better check the drive system of the alternator and the vacume part of it.

The alternator can be easily replaced at a cost of about 5000, its better than to repair it.

Hi Harshana,

You are talking within a common point of view only machan, this common theory doesn’t apply for all car warning lights. behind those there are different mechanism

For an Example: -

OIL bulb is on when you key ignition on, but when you start the car engine should have required oil pressure inside the engine, then Oil pressure sensor delivers a signal to the dash board to off the bulb.

It does not get any alternator signal to see whether the engine is in start or not, but oil pump to build required oil pressure engine should be cranked.

Unless the engine is cranked the system doesn’t know whether you have enough oil pressure inside it.

That is why sometimes you see while you crank a engine bit longer oil bulb will go for a moment off and again blow, still your car is not in start position, Oil pressure is triggered through engine crank not from any alternator signal.

hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback.

Finally i got my car reparied 2 weeks back. Sorry since i was soo busy i haven't had time reply.

Issue was with the Alternator. Electrician gave me 2 options;

1. To replace with new alternator --> I checked, for my model it will cost me around Rs 12~14k since this model is soo rare.

2. To repare the exsisting one. i.e. to Rewire the coil,replace brushes, bearings & to replace the IC ( Since my IC also got faulty Voltage regulator / indash indicator )

I went with 2nd option since it cost me less. ( arond 7k with labor.)

Now battery is charging well.

Also i found below link which discuss about all 4 wanning lights (i.e. Battery, Oil, Brake, CHeck Engine ) & their fault indications,

http://autorepair.about.com/od/lightsbuzze...and_Buzzers.htm

hope this may useful.

thanks for all your feedback.......