• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which Type Would You Go For??

Overdrive

What type of Engine do you go for??  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which type Would you go for??

• Naturally aspirated
    • Force Induction (TURBO)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can those who said NA pls say why they chose it....

turbolag maybe?

y i chose NA for my daily ride is because turbo chargers doesn't last long.. its too expensive for daily use replacing turbo every 50K or something.. i heard sudden stop of engine is bad for the turbo aswell.. thats y they use timers innit? correct me if wrong :D

Turbo Timer FAQ

The primary purpose of an aftermarket turbo timer is to allow your engine to idle unattended for a user specified amount of time. This will allow your engine, specifically the turbo, to return from elevated temperature levels to normal temperature levels prior to the engine being turned off. This can prevent oil coking in turbochargers that are cooling by engine oil.

Are these necessary with Subaru Turbos? No.

June 2001 TechTIPS published by Subaru for Subaru Technicians states:

"2002MY WRX TURBO COOL DOWN PROCEDURE

FHI's position regarding this is that it is not necessary to perform a "cool down/idling" procedure, as was recommended with past turbo models. Our current 2.0L turbo engine has a far greater cooling capacity and, coupled with technology advances, makes this practice no longer necessary. This explains why information about cool down is not included in the 2002MY Impreza Owner's Manual.

The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."

http://www.subaruwest.com/PDF_files/Tech_P...01_techtips.pdf

1) i cant afford a turbo or super charged as day to day running , & i Enjoy the power of VVL in our roads ( as this is also company maintained )

2) if the road conditionsimprove & the cops stop catching for speeding at 75kms , i might shift to turbo

but at this time not worth for me, unless i win a lottery

I would also go for Naturally Aspirated... Da reasons, well... here goes:

1.) Think N/A engines has the best compromise between fuel economy and engine power. (Im refering to other power improvement technologies like V-TEC)

2.) Better reliability without a turbine.

3.) A turbochager/supercharger will definietly add much weight to the engine. (Inercoolers and the assembly will add even more weight)

P.S: Guys, This is jus what i thought ok... Didnt search google for this... :D

1.) Think N/A engines has the best compromise between fuel economy and engine power. (Im refering to other power improvement technologies like V-TEC)

3.) A turbochager/supercharger will definietly add much weight to the engine. (Inercoolers and the assembly will add even more weight)

P.S: Guys, This is jus what i thought ok... Didnt search google for this... :D

ok we can't agree with ur conclusion.. u need to show the reference B)B)B)

Turbo Timer FAQ

The primary purpose of an aftermarket turbo timer is to allow your engine to idle unattended for a user specified amount of time. This will allow your engine, specifically the turbo, to return from elevated temperature levels to normal temperature levels prior to the engine being turned off. This can prevent oil coking in turbochargers that are cooling by engine oil.

Are these necessary with Subaru Turbos? No.

June 2001 TechTIPS published by Subaru for Subaru Technicians states:

"2002MY WRX TURBO COOL DOWN PROCEDURE

FHI's position regarding this is that it is not necessary to perform a "cool down/idling" procedure, as was recommended with past turbo models. Our current 2.0L turbo engine has a far greater cooling capacity and, coupled with technology advances, makes this practice no longer necessary. This explains why information about cool down is not included in the 2002MY Impreza Owner's Manual.

The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."

http://www.subaruwest.com/PDF_files/Tech_P...01_techtips.pdf

True thats why Evo's have oil coolers and Scooby's dont..

U guys are only thinking of Forced petrol cars here! I've been used to turbo diesels since I started driving. (That was in an Isuzu Double cab) All these v-tec, power vs economy all kindsa talking going out the window. Driven the cab with the turbo, drove the cab with the same engine without the turbo after the oil seal messed up. Def need that turbo.

Edited by Pericles

P.S: Guys, This is jus what i thought ok... Didnt search google for this... :blink:

you keep surprising me buddy! :P

i thot u love the scooby more than any! :P

Arguements for forced induction.

veyron1642006260tw.th.jpg

hey!

thats my wallpaper @ work!! :party-smiley-015:

and peri,

true what u said about the turbo on a diessel engine..

i remember someone said (regarding racing cars) that a turbocharged engine is considered equal to a NatuAsp engine 1.6 or 1.7 times the capacity of the turbo engine.

so if u use that principle on any vehicle that means the vehicle would go quite underpowered if the turbo fails, provided that a manufacturer specified turbo...

hey!

thats my wallpaper @ work!! :jumping-smiley-013:

and peri,

true what u said about the turbo on a diessel engine..

i remember someone said (regarding racing cars) that a turbocharged engine is considered equal to a NatuAsp engine 1.6 or 1.7 times the capacity of the turbo engine.

so if u use that principle on any vehicle that means the vehicle would go quite underpowered if the turbo fails, provided that a manufacturer specified turbo...

I read some where that a 3Litre a 2 litre turbo produces the same power as a 3 Litre N/a car. But i suppose thats subject to the size of the turbo. :)

• 2 weeks later...