• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Colombo Road Race

Grand Civic

Depending on what I'm using, you might be able to use one of mine.

I wonder if we can get some pics from a high perch? Like a tree or platform or summin?

judging by my current financial situ.. i may have to beg a lens off you for the event!

Well, I saw you treated yourself to a Pentacon 50mm ;) (Actually, how come you didn't get the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens instead?)

yep i did... i've used a buddies EF50mm you've mentioned and wasn't too happy with the way it was put together...i don't think that thing would last that many days with me :( And when you take away the major pain in the butt of not having AF...the older german/russian lenses supposedly have better glass and more character.

So it was kind of an experiment... Since i'm not that into taking people shots, i kinda can live without AF.... For that kinda work i have my other two lenses...

so far i'm a happy camper!

btw.... this is you right?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kavvz/ :D

yep i did... i've used a buddies EF50mm you've mentioned and wasn't too happy with the way it was put together...i don't think that thing would last that many days with me :( And when you take away the major pain in the butt of not having AF...the older german/russian lenses supposedly have better glass and more character.

So it was kind of an experiment... Since i'm not that into taking people shots, i kinda can live without AF.... For that kinda work i have my other two lenses...

so far i'm a happy camper!

btw.... this is you right?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kavvz/ :D

lol Yes. That's me from my point-and-shoot days!! I have to update that stream with a couple of newer pictures that I took with my current setup.... Buying an SLR made for a pretty dramatic change, and I'd like to thank you folks at autolanka for helping me out with that decision.

Edited by Kavvz

yep i did... i've used a buddies EF50mm you've mentioned and wasn't too happy with the way it was put together...i don't think that thing would last that many days with me :(

Ah, fair enough. The Canon 50mm 1.8 is at the end of the day a cheap lens (if not the cheapest lens Canon offers)...so I guess that makes sense. Am glad you're liking the new lens Ripper; gives you crazy cool depth of field options huh? Nice. VERY nice.

Edited by Kavvz

I recall that signature being on Peri's and wasn't it said to be one of George Bernard Shaw's musings/utterances? :unsure:

Yeap looks like you're right, I did a quick google search and at first glance it DOES seem to be associated with Bernard Shaw- Thanks! I don't recall Pericles having it as his signature, it must have been before my time; or consequently that could be why I remember this particular quote...

Edited by Kavvz

Has any authority stated WHY they want to shut down the country's capital and host a road race there? I mean if their goal is to promote tourism well wouldn't that goal be better served via a rally or a dune race on the beach?

Edited by Kavvz

Has any authority stated WHY they want to shut down the country's capital and host a road race there? I mean if their goal is to promote tourism well wouldn't that goal be better served via a rally or a dune race on the beach?

Maybe they wanna show an Aston Martin? :)

Actually, I doubt this has to do with tourism or economic development (unless its part of a larger package of programs). More likely a morale boosting effort for Colombo? Rally Championship already exists and I doubt there are enough vehicles of the right types to have a dune race.

Besides, they are closing non-residential stretches. The only people who might be inconvenienced that I can think of are the Foundation Institute, Television Training Institute and 80s Club. Other places will probably be closed on Sunday.

......Actually, I doubt this has to do with tourism or economic development (unless its part of a larger package of programs). More likely a morale boosting effort for Colombo? Rally Championship already exists and I doubt there are enough vehicles of the right types to have a dune race.

Besides, they are closing non-residential stretches. The only people who might be inconvenienced that I can think of are the Foundation Institute, Television Training Institute and 80s Club. Other places will probably be closed on Sunday.

Moral building exercise? Hmm...I guess. However my first thought is that the number of racing enthusiasts or the target market of this exercise makes for an insignificant representation of Colombo's population or the voter base in general. But hey, one mustn't look a gift horse in the mouth I suppose. And as far as racing events go, this is probably as good as it gets location wise.

Maybe they wanna show an Aston Martin? :)

Actually, I doubt this has to do with tourism or economic development (unless its part of a larger package of programs). More likely a morale boosting effort for Colombo? Rally Championship already exists and I doubt there are enough vehicles of the right types to have a dune race.

Or may be even to get all the street racers at one spot and then............................................................................

......... :)

Or may be even to get all the street racers at one spot and then............................................................................

......... :)

wont work since afaik...this event is not for street racers :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

the colombo night race is scheduled to happen on the 17th of dec

there is also an official drag that is supposed to happen on Nov 5 to be done by the same organizers.

I saw on dilantha's fb page that he is bringing down his race car & a few other foreign drivers will be bringing there cars as well.....theres gonna be an open event where all the super cars will run together.....

its gonna be one great night & theres also gonna be parties all around colombo... :alc:

I saw on dilantha's fb page that he is bringing down his race car & a few other foreign drivers will be bringing there cars as well.....theres gonna be an open event where all the super cars will run together.....

its gonna be one great night & theres also gonna be parties all around colombo... :alc:

Any idea which country are the foreign drivers with their cars gonna come from?