• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Non Original Alloys!

NFS

Hi Guys,

As it had been evident in the past say 1 or 2 years we have seen an increasing trend of alloy wheels been used on vehicles unlike in the past. Has anyone got any idea as to whether using those alloys other than those provided by the car manufacturer(Original Alloys).That is chinese alloys and stuff, would it have any impact on the suspension such as the steering rack and axel. I mean would it result in more wear and tear, and impact on these suspension parts.

Please share your thoughts.

Hi Guys,

As it had been evident in the past say 1 or 2 years we have seen an increasing trend of alloy wheels been used on vehicles unlike in the past. Has anyone got any idea as to whether using those alloys other than those provided by the car manufacturer(Original Alloys).That is chinese alloys and stuff, would it have any impact on the suspension such as the steering rack and axel. I mean would it result in more wear and tear, and impact on these suspension parts.

lower the profile...the tougher your suspension has to work to dampen forces. So most parts connected to the suspension system is at added stress making them prone to premature wearing and eventual failure.

Say,,,i have 13 steel wheels... thinking of going for 15's but that means it's less rubber to dampen forces so my suspension will take a hit.

If i were to be a real idiot and go for 17's...it will be lot worse :)

don't think the origin of the country matters as much as the wheel size does.

Chinese 17's and Jap 17's will put simillar stress on your setup while the latter might look cooler and last longer

lower the profile...the tougher your suspension has to work to dampen forces. So most parts connected to the suspension system is at added stress making them prone to premature wearing and eventual failure.

Say,,,i have 13 steel wheels... thinking of going for 15's but that means it's less rubber to dampen forces so my suspension will take a hit.

If i were to be a real idiot and go for 17's...it will be lot worse :)

don't think the origin of the country matters as much as the wheel size does.

Chinese 17's and Jap 17's will put simillar stress on your setup while the latter might look cooler and last longer

Thanks Ripper. So u mean to say that chinese alloys are good as Japanese alloys and are made to almost similar specs as japanese alloys in terms of weight, size, e.t.c??

Thanks Ripper. So u mean to say that chinese alloys are good as Japanese alloys and are made to almost similar specs as japanese alloys in terms of weight, size, e.t.c??

I guess your question is in relation to the durability/reliability of Chinese alloys compared to the Japanese or European....

I also guess most are same. Except different materials are used at different instances for different needs, like some are lightweight forged ones for racing, some dish type ones are heavy but look better imo. So anyway if it's a mid range passenger car, you could find a lighter 15" wheel they would be almost similar to a stock one except for the profile, which also would be fine on a 15". Anyway we also got a 14" Taiwanese one (D*rwin racing) for a van last week, though it was a bit wide, I guess maybe it was lighter than the OEM steel rims, I din't weigh but just a guess

nope. my answer was more towards the profile of the tyre affecting your suspension.

i would guess that jap alloys...the name brands should be far superior to their chinese counter parts. Japan is far ahead as an automotive nation so i doubt the chinese are still there yet with their offerings.

Like ShanX said... materials might be different and also the design, the quality of moulding etc etc...

So i wouldn't compare chinese alloys to euro or jap :D

nope. my answer was more towards the profile of the tyre affecting your suspension.

i would guess that jap alloys...the name brands should be far superior to their chinese counter parts. Japan is far ahead as an automotive nation so i doubt the chinese are still there yet with their offerings.

Like ShanX said... materials might be different and also the design, the quality of moulding etc etc...

So i wouldn't compare chinese alloys to euro or jap :D

True. Have heard that some popular Jap wheel manufacturers, test their wheels for different conditions, like temperature tests, shock tests, and are tested to out perform even in beyond real world conditions. But other Chinese, Taiwanese manufacturers makes exact replicas of famous Jap branded wheels, but they couldn't be considered reliable as the originals.

Edited by shanX

Its just luck mate. Unless if you r planing to buy a well known brand like Oz, bbs etc. IMHO lighter the better. 14" - 15" with high profile sound more practical on our roads. Dont forget to do the math if your changing the stock rim size.

Click HERE to calculate

Its just luck mate. Unless if you r planing to buy a well known brand like Oz, bbs etc. IMHO lighter the better. 14" - 15" with high profile sound more practical on our roads. Dont forget to do the math if your changing the stock rim size.

Click HERE to calculate

yeah.... i buy them on GT and Forza3 :) no chance in real life :D

Thanks mate, for your suggestion. I am planning to get a set of alloys for my Allion. Thats why just wanted to check whether it would have any impact on the suspension. Any idea as to where I could get a original set of alloys?

Any idea as to where u could get the original alloys?

What do you mean as original alloys? Have seen lot of people using generic alloys on Allions, Corollas ...etc, so I think you are better off with those

In my POV, 17" alloys with low profile tires are not suitable for SL roads. These roads have more ditches, potholes and whatnot than they nave bends. Sticking to at least 14" or 15" inches with 60+ tires (depending on your wheel well size) is more practical.

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

If ur plaining to buy a set of after market alloy wheels.... jus check whether wheels are certified by VIA and JWL ...no matter whether it is Taiwan..Chinese or Korean ... any alloy which carries these certifications are good and fit for use...

If ur plaining to buy a set of after market alloy wheels.... jus check whether wheels are certified by VIA and JWL ...no matter whether it is Taiwan..Chinese or Korean ... any alloy which carries these certifications are good and fit for use...

Do you know from where I can buy those certified alloy wheels?