• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Getting To Know About Bmw

MkX

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys please.. Lets try not to go OT as I said E36 and EK3 does not need a comparison interm of technicality of it. But I would much appciate if we keep this to practicality of the ownership of E36 to someone who does not simply get settled with typical Sunny and Corolla mind set. (some who can go for Carina / Primera, etc)

Machang, its simple. All E36 are over 10 years old. Mine is 14 this year. Most of them are passed their 100,000 mile/Km mark. Mine just hit 100,000 Kms last week. As with any car, you will have to carry out many of the high mileage replacements. Bushes, bearings, engine parts, hoses, etc. Parts are relative cheap depending on where you get them from. Prestige carries most parts for E36 and if not, they will tell you.

Don't buy a BMW if you are scared to get one. All it will do is amplify the smallest issue and make it look like a disaster. Its not a Honda, its not a Corolla or a Sunny. Care will have to be taken.

Service intervals are longer, original parts are more durable etc.. Basically you get what you paid for. I serviced mine along with a ATF change last week and the bill was 48K. But then I will not be servicing again for 12 months. Yes, it's expensive to maintain.

If you are not prepared to invest in the timely care and servicing it needs, then you better stick to a known brand/model. EK3 and A32 comes to my mind... :)

Machang, its simple. All E36 are over 10 years old. Mine is 14 this year. Most of them are passed their 100,000 mile/Km mark. Mine just hit 100,000 Kms last week. As with any car, you will have to carry out many of the high mileage replacements. Bushes, bearings, engine parts, hoses, etc. Parts are relative cheap depending on where you get them from. Prestige carries most parts for E36 and if not, they will tell you.

Don't buy a BMW if you are scared to get one. All it will do is amplify the smallest issue and make it look like a disaster. Its not a Honda, its not a Corolla or a Sunny. Care will have to be taken.

Service intervals are longer, original parts are more durable etc.. Basically you get what you paid for. I serviced mine along with a ATF change last week and the bill was 48K. But then I will not be servicing again for 12 months. Yes, it's expensive to maintain.

If you are not prepared to invest in the timely care and servicing it needs, then you better stick to a known brand/model. EK3 and A32 comes to my mind... :)

This make sense.. E36 budget fits with me so I'll keep the option open. If am to own a Beemer best time is with in this 2 , 3 years.. no commitments, no major investments like house or some thing. So if I get one now and can restore fully hope it'll be good to go for another 10 years.

This make sense.. E36 budget fits with me so I'll keep the option open. If am to own a Beemer best time is with in this 2 , 3 years.. no commitments, no major investments like house or some thing. So if I get one now and can restore fully hope it'll be good to go for another 10 years.

The general rule of thumb with old BMWs machan is Buy the very best one you can... Because "restoring" a crappy one will end up costing a helluva lot more in the long run!

Edited by Supra_Natural

The general rule of thumb with old BMWs machan is Buy the very best one you can... Because "restoring" a crappy one will end up coting a helluva lot more in the long run!

Yeh defa.. getting a better well cared one at Premium is always much better than trying to restore as we don't know what problems it will cause. Now I now the drivers attitude and knowledge really does matter.

haha dont take the expert too sriously VVTi...this guy changes colour just like that...the brand of car he owns currently is the best there is according to his retarded logic...you should have seen the posts this guy put up in the roadraped.lk(RIP) forum,hola's very own butt boy he was...those days honda's were the best,now it's nissan...tommorrow he'll buy a chery qq and claim it's better than a rolls.

maybe we're seeing an increase of retards here in AL after the long and slow death of that rebellious website! :P

well i never said anything other than that a regular bmw 318i is slower in acceleration than regular VTi. so to accuse me of trying to portray bmw as somehow an overall inferior car is untrue. but i still stick to my original claim that regular bmw 318i is slower in acceleration than regular VTi. that's a fact that cannot be proven wrong. i don't care whether one cares for acceleration or not. i just mentioned a plain fact and did not issue a verdict on what's actually better. there is a difference between "reporting" and passing a "judgement". what i had done is only the former. all else are different interpretations made by many on my original post.

@assistant koluwo: if possible please translate this "sad" reply in to your colorful ways :) ... i really enjoy this translation business

Man, if you dont know about something, then don't shoot your mouth off.... It makes you look like an idiot.

AFAIK (Im no honda expert) there are perhaps 5 or 6 Honda SIRs (genuine cars) in Sri Lanka. Confining ourselves solely to the E36 There are AT LEAST 15 cars that have a 6 Cylinder engine (320i, 323i, 325i or 328i)... and the 320i is the most numerous. Im sure some E36 owners will clarify the exact figures.

So as you see, you aren't even remotely correct.

Oh and on a side note, six cylinder E36 prices arent a lot different to four cylinder prices when they do come up for sale, so they definitely fall within the price bracket MkX is considering, which makes them a valid comparison. Kapische?

And yes, I did edit this post once, if I think of more relevant information, I may well edit it again.

this is such a lame attempt at taking my quote out of context... 6 or 15 doesn't really matter, both numbers are quite rare in relative numbers if you compare them to the number of 318 and VTis on the roads.

But Isuru... what I don't get is, you drive a A32... which is a great car by all means... why you suddenly want to race a EK3 against BMW? Do you have a EK3 to race? Are you feeling inadequate by any chance? Has the novelty of driving a big car to compensate for other things worn off?

Please count how many times I might edit this post now... ;)

be honest to god and tell me whether what i told about acceleration is true or not? bmw is the better car overall to me as well but regular 318 E36 is slower in acceleration than VTi. that's all i said.

sour grapes ha! nevertheless, i got to keep the righteous ones bz and unhappy whereever they may be.

1.you have habit of jumping in and throwing that empty head to whatever hat that's thrown about! :P

2.sour grapes? for what?

3.on keeping others unhappy...quite the contrary...i feel other are having a ball bashing you into smithereens

1.you have habit of jumping in and throwing that empty head to whatever hat that's thrown about! :P

2.sour grapes? for what?

3.on keeping others unhappy...quite the contrary...i feel other are having a ball bashing you into smithereens

arguing with you is such a boring experince. it's nice to argue with VVTi, it's entertaining to argue with assistant kolla, but you... :sigh no imagination or creativity in your replies, too predictable, empty soul.

Edited by isurujosh

For sure...!!

The 3 series to clarify is an entry level luxary car- the Civic is a mid size family car. The Car makers compete by the segment- just because the local car market is fueled by local ecnomics/speculation resulting in similar pricing for the 3 and the Civics- in no way can the 3 be found to be the inferior purchase. Even in terms of figures- the 3 three has more torque than the civic, which makes it far more drivable in the real world. However civic will always be the better choice for track days...

doublefacepalm2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

first you misinterprete me and then when i reply u just run out of words or facts and resort to attacks

Hmm I wonder why that would be, Perhaps it's because arguing with you adds no value to my day in any way, shape or form?

However, since you get all butthurt when you're ignored let me take a stab at it anyway....

this is such a lame attempt at taking my quote out of context... 6 or 15 doesn't really matter, both numbers are quite rare in relative numbers if you compare them to the number of 318 and VTis on the roads.

First, There IS a very clear difference between 5 cars and 15 cars FYI, any 5 year old will tell you there is a difference of 10 there.

(15 - 5 = 10 see?)

When we consider a car market the size of Sri Lanka's, the SiR can be considered Ultra Rare, while E36's with a Six pot are merely somewhat rare. For further clarification, when was the last time an SiR was up for sale? In comparison , just over a month ago an E36 six pot was in the papers. This, by the way is a FACT.

Second, The six pots don't sell for a much higher price than the four cylinder cars, which means (As has been stated earlier) that if one is patient, one can pick up a good example for well within MkX's budget, which makes them a fair comparison. This is also a FACT.

Thirdly, The most prevalent version of the Ek Civic is not the Vi/VTi, but the Exi which if i remember right is the model of civic that MKX has (although I am not certain of this, Mk X care to clarify?) Compared to an Exi, a 318i or indeed even a 316i will really not have a lot to worry about at all. Which is what I meant when I replied to MkX's question. This is the third FACT.

Clear enough for you? or do you want me to double space and use bigger fonts or something?

arguing with you is such a boring experince. it's nice to argue with VVTi, it's entertaining to argue with assistant kolla, but you... :sigh no imagination or creativity in your replies, too predictable, empty soul.

arguing? who's arguing here...i was merely stating the FACT how you tend to always stick your head out and happily fit your empty head into any hat that's thrown about... :P:angry-smiley-048:

Thirdly, The most prevalent version of the Ek Civic is not the Vi/VTi, but the Exi which if i remember right is the model of civic that MKX has (although I am not certain of this, Mk X care to clarify?) Compared to an Exi, a 318i or indeed even a 316i will really not have a lot to worry about at all. Which is what I meant when I replied to MkX's question. This is the third FACT.

Since you asked to clarify Its Vi.. But lets keep this little bit more friendly and informative.

Edited by MkX

If you are not prepared to invest in the timely care and servicing it needs, then you better stick to a known brand/model. EK3 and A32 comes to my mind... smile.gif

My service at the agents cost me around 10k. If I had done an ATF change, I think that would be an additional 8k. And I gotta service every 5000 kms. Which is about five months for me. So, I'm guessing maybe 30 - 35k a year for me. So, not a huge difference eh? Besides, I drive a Hyundai.... :D

Since you asked to clarify Its Vi.. But lets keep this little bit more friendly and informative.

Ah right. I stand corrected. In that case you may well feel a slight performance difference. However as Elvis mentioned the 3 series motor does have more low down torque so in real world driving wouldnt be much of an issue. If you're going to be doing a lot of drag racing on the other hand, yes, that Will be a problem.

Even arguments can be informative, by the way.

Edited by Supra_Natural

Ah right. In that case you may well feel a slight performance difference. However as Elvis mentioned the 3 series motor does have more low down torque so in real world driving wouldnt be much of an issue im guessing.

Even arguments can be informative, by the way.

Yes aruguments are good as long as its done with the correct spirit and with in the context... :jumping-smiley-014:

Any how loosing bit of performance .. and geting some thing like 9Kmpl is ok. If the current average service cost me 7K and if I did 4 services for a year it's cost me 28K and with other stuff like tune up lets make it 50K. In comparison what would E36 will cost.

Edited by MkX