• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Getting To Know About Bmw

MkX

Its maintenance is simple if you keep at home the whole time only. It is aging and they need to close all the door handles train electrification drive. Most of them are out of a crowded, poorly managed and have more than 3-4 hold on average. Many of these shortcuts and when such short-term solutions to catch you sooner or later.

???? Can you rephrase EVERYTHING you just said , pls... :)

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ohh well... maybe it could mean like this, simply, if you need anything for your Beemer, you should know where to click ;) lol

Edited by shanX

heh heh! i too spent about 2 minutes trying figure that one out but finally gave up on it :)

maybe it's in code? :P

Edited by Ripper

Its maintenance is simple if you keep at home the whole time only. It is aging and they need to close all the door handles train electrification drive. Most of them are out of a crowded, poorly managed and have more than 3-4 hold on average. Many of these shortcuts and when such short-term solutions to catch you sooner or later.

heh heh! i too spent about 2 minutes trying figure that one out but finally gave up on it :)

maybe it's in code? :P

Count me in please. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Still my car maximum car budget is around 1.5M - 2M. But I can see lot of folks who has budget around 2.5M - 3.5M going after new/recon jap cars. I wonder why they don't even consider BMW E36 (little old but with 1M - 2M cash saving) ????? At least I don't see any of them in here in A/L.

Lets keep the fuel consumption aside.. we don't need this 15kmpl but with decent fuel consupmtion (9 - 11Kmpl), is it really difficuilt to maintain BMW ???? This came to my mind again because another beautiful E36 is in classifields (hope its in good condition)

Edited by MkX

Guys,

Still my car maximum car budget is around 1.5M - 2M. But I can see lot of folks who has budget around 2.5M - 3.5M going after new/recon jap cars. I wonder why they don't even consider BMW E36 (little old but with 1M - 2M cash saving) ????? At least I don't see any of them in here in A/L.

Lets keep the fuel consumption aside.. we don't need this 15kmpl but with decent fuel consupmtion (9 - 11Kmpl), is it really difficuilt to maintain BMW ???? This came to my mind again because another beautiful E36 is in classifields (hope its in good condition)

i guess your talking about that Silver 318i right? that's a keeper. :rolleyes:

i guess your talking about that Silver 318i right? that's a keeper. :rolleyes:

Yeh that is it.. isn't it bargain for 1997 E36.. There is brand new Premio for 65 laks.

Why on earth a person who can spend 65 laks for a car can't buy one of E36 for 17 laks spend few hundred thousand for any repairs needed and save around 40 laks. :angry-smiley-048:

Ok my point is .. isn't the exclusivity and prestige of BMW not worth 1.7M .. or is it hell of a hassel to find parts/maintain a BMW. (I am not promoting any cars or brands.. but some thing really goes wrong in our market or in my head :action-smiley-060: ).

Edited by MkX

Yeh that is it.. isn't it bargain for 1997 E36.. There is brand new Premio for 65 laks.

Why on earth a person who can spend 65 laks for a car can't buy one of E36 for 17 laks spend few hundred thousand for any repairs needed and save around 40 laks. :angry-smiley-048:

Ok my point is .. isn't the exclusivity and prestige of BMW not worth 1.7M .. or is it hell of a hassel to find parts/maintain a BMW. (I am not promoting any cars or brands.. but some thing really goes wrong in our market or in my head :action-smiley-060: ).

This car has changed hands by yesterday afternoon !

The BMW IS worth it, but only people who can appreciate fine machinery will see it. To the average sri lankan car buyer, its a european car with an "old number".... so the idea is totally dismissed before it even starts!

Well I for one am ok with that, at least it means the cars mostly end up going to people who will appreciate them!

This car has changed hands by yesterday afternoon !

Not supprised then.. specially when 91 - 92 priced little over to this car.

The BMW IS worth it, but only people who can appreciate fine machinery will see it. To the average sri lankan car buyer, its a european car with an "old number".... so the idea is totally dismissed before it even starts!

Well I for one am ok with that, at least it means the cars mostly end up going to people who will appreciate them!

If we assume the A/L community is little above the average .. still no much difference.

Is there any real facts behind this negative attitude towards Euro cars (BMW in perticular since E36 is almost with in my budget in case i opt for one). Not the fuel consumption but most importantly finding the correct parts,etc wothout cost a fortune.

Not supprised then.. specially when 91 - 92 priced little over to this car.

If we assume the A/L community is little above the average .. still no much difference.

Is there any real facts behind this negative attitude towards Euro cars (BMW in perticular since E36 is almost with in my budget in case i opt for one). Not the fuel consumption but most importantly finding the correct parts,etc wothout cost a fortune.

Finding a good decent and well maintained BMW car is like finding a needle in a hay stack. There are ones which not maintained properly which go for low prices and vice versa. Still finding a decent and paying extra will go a long way as long as it had been serviced and maintained to factory spec. I had a 92 318i which sold for approximately that price last December. Parts-wise, never really encountered a problem.

318is—The best for fuel economy+power! There are two in SL. One ruined bottle green with a lovely alcantra and leather package. Needs a lot of attention, but a great one if someone has the means. The other is a black 318ti and is in mint.

the other thing is this older euro cars that are in SL are not as quick as we might like them to be. for example the beemer we talk about is waaay slower than average Civic VTi in acceleration department. it lower in horse power while even having a bigger engine.

on the question of parts and maintenance. these cars are definitely more expensive to maintain. just check the price of a sealed beams of a normal car and this one. worst of all are the 2nd hand parts like AC vents, sun shades that you need on 2nd hand quite old cars like them. however if u have alternative sources to get these parts lower than normal market rates then it is ok.

318is—The best for fuel economy+power! There are two in SL. One ruined bottle green with a lovely alcantra and leather package. Needs a lot of attention, but a great one if someone has the means. The other is a black 318ti and is in mint.

the 318is you are talking is the one parked in Milroy's right?

the other thing is this older euro cars that are in SL are not as quick as we might like them to be. for example the beemer we talk about is waaay slower than average Civic VTi in acceleration department. it lower in horse power while even having a bigger engine.

on the question of parts and maintenance. these cars are definitely more expensive to maintain. just check the price of a sealed beams of a normal car and this one. worst of all are the 2nd hand parts like AC vents, sun shades that you need on 2nd hand quite old cars like them. however if u have alternative sources to get these parts lower than normal market rates then it is ok.

This reply illustrates pretty much the sort of ill-informed thinking I mentioned earlier. The automatic assumption is that since parts prices are expensive at the agents, the car is a lot more costly to run. As usual, nobody factors in the the proven fact that service intervals are considerably longer and that the parts are very durable. Essentially, as long as routine issues are taken care of properly, euro cars can definitely be more durable (in an overall sense) than japs.

As to the "not as quick" argument (and the comparison used to illustrate the point) I'm not even going to bother responding, other than to point out that "driving pleasure" is something that is based on a lot more than merely acceleration.

Still, if acceleration is such a major issue an E36 equipped with either of the following should answer that question as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M52

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M50

This reply illustrates pretty much the sort of ill-informed thinking I mentioned earlier. The automatic assumption is that since parts prices are expensive at the agents, the car is a lot more costly to run. As usual, nobody factors in the the proven fact that service intervals are considerably longer and that the parts are very durable. Essentially, as long as routine issues are taken care of properly, euro cars can definitely be more durable (in an overall sense) than japs.

As to the "not as quick" argument (and the comparison used to illustrate the point) I'm not even going to bother responding, other than to point out that "driving pleasure" is something that is based on a lot more than merely acceleration.

Still, if acceleration is such a major issue an E36 equipped with either of the following should answer that question as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M52

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M50

I totally agree with Supra_Natural ! These cars a lot durable and can take on alot if they are serviced and maintained properly and the technology in them are far ahead of the Japanese makes. They also age very slowly in comparison. Driving pleasure— you need to step on a six-pot to feel the power and driving pleasure !

Edited by Rukster

another effing spambot!