• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pet Question !

ferrarif50

first of all, sorry for asking about pets in auto form. but i think most of the members have puppy s with them, so i thought you all can help me with my pet problem, actually not a problem. but want to know your experiences/ advices. i have read so many articles on web, but wanted to ask from you guys too.

I'm planning to get a Yellow Labrador soon. so what i want to know is,

1. what are the common issues with this breed?

2. what are the good places to buy one? (as you see on papers, there are many sellers)

3. Good VET you can recommend? (in nugegoda/ maharagama/ colombo area )

4. as they are so friendly, aren't they even bark at strangers?

5. are they easy to train?

it would be great if you can share your experiences with Labradors, thanks in advance

:)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all, sorry for asking about pets in auto form. but i think most of the members have puppy s with them, so i thought you all can help me with my pet problem, actually not a problem. but want to know your experiences/ advices. i have read so many articles on web, but wanted to ask from you guys too.

2. what are the good places to buy one? (as you see on papers, there are many sellers)

it would be great if you can share your experiences with Labradors, thanks in advance

Ok, first of all..... you have to ensure the parents are good stock and not from the same blood line. Most of the buggers who sell dogs in the paper runs dog farms that results in a lot of in-breeding. Its safe to say, it's tough to find pure bloodlines anymore in SL. Dogs that are inbred go blind, have nervous system issues, don't look 100% always and don't live long.

IMHO its a crime that should be punished to the maximum by law.

Labs are lovely dogs...but guard dogs they are not! :) They bark... but they seldom bite. Very high tolerance to pain. Great with kids... bad with remotes, cell phones, ties, shoes, socks and anything not firmly anchored to the ground... ;) Don't test their jaw muscle strength... :)

During the first two years of their lives, they will cause a lot of material damage as they are very destructively playful, curious and thinks the whole world is their playground.

If you get one, make sure the shots are given on time, don't skimp on their medical bills/checkups as the last thing you want to see is a sick Labrador. Dont feed them beef or pork. Tummy issues.

Just chicken and haal masso, eggs and fish. They need a lot of running space as they tend to put on weight if they are a confined to small spaces. Fat Labs are unhealthiy and will have kidney and back leg problems later on if the weight gain goes unchecked.

They need to be lean and active.

If you have someone in the Police Kennels or the SLAF you might be able to get hold of a good puppy. They got the best blood lines.

Stay away from most of the ads on the paper... they are just bred for money.

If you get a female please no matter what you do, don't consider using her womb to make money! Its a crime. If you must, let her litter once and snip her.

thanks a lot VVTi !!! do you own a lab? seems it would be hard to find a good one... :huh:

yes.. I owned one.... sort of... My ex wife and I had one... she took the dog... :) I have no visitation rights.. ;(

thanks a lot VVTi !!! do you own a lab? seems it would be hard to find a good one... :huh:

If you want a dog... get a good RiceHound.. (Paraya)..:)

they are half as much trouble.. minimum maintenance and if trained properly will be as delightful as a good breed.

last June while driving home I almost ran over a puppy that has barley opened her eyes.... felt so sad and worried that some bugger might run over her I took her home thinking that I will \'do something\' later... well... she is still here... grown to a size of a small horse.. :)

Hates cats, hates the newspaper man, three wheelers or in fact anyone other than the ones in the house. The only outsider she wags her tail is to the bread man.. thats because she associates him with the bun she gets every morning.dsc00127fe.jpg

Edited by VVTi

VVTi,

You did a wonderful job by saving that fellow, look at his smart look. IN srilanka Ppl dont care much for animals only keep harping in the television sitting in chairs,I must say that.From the looks it is a bitch... am I right.

Did you read that article that was in dailymirror.lk about people giving there loving dog due rights.I think it was yesterday.

VVTi,

You did a wonderful job by saving that fellow, look at his smart look. IN srilanka Ppl dont care much for animals only keep harping in the television sitting in chairs,I must say that.From the looks it is a bitch... am I right.

Did you read that article that was in dailymirror.lk about people giving there loving dog due rights.I think it was yesterday.

She is a bitch alright! :)

me mum's a ex great dane and current ridgeback owner ...in her opinion a kennel association of SL registered,pedigreed and purebread pups are reccommended...but they cost a lot more...beware that there are a two or three k9 associations in SL but the best is the above mentioned one run by the obeysekera family...also take a look at the sire and dame if possible.

@ VVTI I dont think haal masso is reccommended cos it tends to be harmful to their skin,

yes.. I owned one.... sort of... My ex wife and I had one... she took the dog... :) I have no visitation rights.. ;(

I would have filed a lawsuit for visitation rights. Haha JK

But excellent post on the Golden Retrievers. We had a mixed goldie when I was a kid, boy they are wonderful species. You are quite true about how destructive they can get during their early years. Ours even bit some parts off from our Mazda Familiar back in the day.

Then we bought a Doberman which i believe was from the same bloodline as you mentioned earlier it didnt live long, may be 4 or 5 years. It was bought from Wattala after hunting a Classified on Sunday Observer. (Wattala, Ja-Ala areas are notorious for dog breeding businesses)

And now we have a Rhodesian Ridgeback, wonderful dog, great with families, not one master at all and rolls like a big shot. :)

Golden Retrievers are a wonderful breed and would make a great first dog if you havnt owned one before. Or a RiceHound quoting from VVTI, would be a great start to owning a pet.

Good luck on finding your next best friend!

Finally topic which does not talk about fuel consumption, re sale value or ac & fuel saving .

well done and nice to read too.

I had a pedigreed German Sheperd who contracted Tick fever and passed away- still miss her.

:unsure:

Edited by pradfred

Finally topic which does not talk about fuel consumption, re sale value or ac & fuel saving .

I had a pedigreed German Sheperd who contracted Tick fever and passed away- still miss her.

Ayyyooo... we had a Cocker Spaniel that had a habit of rummaging in the trash. One day he has eaten some crab shells... with disastrous results to its intestines. Died a horrible and painful death 2 days later... nothing could have saved it as all the bowels were cut and he was pooing black... bad sign of heavy bleeding in the upper GI.

Lesson learned... do not let any dog have access to crabs, prawns, chicken bones, etc.

But Prad... it won't be long till someone ask how to take a dog in a car in a fuel efficient way or what car is best for dog transport... then we will start it all over again... :)

that's a bummer!

we have a paraya and a GS ourselves... not pedigreed GS though he was brought up on pedigree until he was like 12 months!

Our fella is a very lazy bum compared to the super active paraya!

he just loves to relax and chill out!

Though he hasn't bit anybody as yet...their larger size and loud bark scares away a lotta people! :D

wanted to buy a rottie but with the little fellow around couldn't take a chance with that breed with all that bad rap they've got all over

that's a bummer!

we have a paraya and a GS ourselves... not pedigreed GS though he was brought up on pedigree until he was like 12 months!

Our fella is a very lazy bum compared to the super active paraya!

he just loves to relax and chill out!

Though he hasn't bit anybody as yet...their larger size and loud bark scares away a lotta people! :D

wanted to buy a rottie but with the little fellow around couldn't take a chance with that breed with all that bad rap they've got all over

Fellow GS owner here.... Gotta say I've always liked them best, though I do have a soft spot for labs since one of my close friends owns 3!

If you want a dog... get a good RiceHound.. (Paraya)..:)

they are half as much trouble.. minimum maintenance and if trained properly will be as delightful as a good breed.

last June while driving home I almost ran over a puppy that has barley opened her eyes.... felt so sad and worried that some bugger might run over her I took her home thinking that I will \'do something\' later... well... she is still here... grown to a size of a small horse.. :)

Hates cats, hates the newspaper man, three wheelers or in fact anyone other than the ones in the house. The only outsider she wags her tail is to the bread man.. thats because she associates him with the bun she gets every morning.dsc00127fe.jpg

My respect to you fro saving the puppy. :appl:

Edited by kumudug

Ok, first of all..... you have to ensure the parents are good stock and not from the same blood line. Most of the buggers who sell dogs in the paper runs dog farms that results in a lot of in-breeding. Its safe to say, it's tough to find pure bloodlines anymore in SL. Dogs that are inbred go blind, have nervous system issues, don't look 100% always and don't live long.

Labs are lovely dogs...but guard dogs they are not! :) They bark... but they seldom bite. Very high tolerance to pain. Great with kids... bad with remotes, cell phones, ties, shoes, socks and anything not firmly anchored to the ground... ;) Don't test their jaw muscle strength... :)

During the first two years of their lives, they will cause a lot of material damage as they are very destructively playful, curious and thinks the whole world is their playground.

If you get one, make sure the shots are given on time, don't skimp on their medical bills/checkups as the last thing you want to see is a sick Labrador. Dont feed them beef or pork. Tummy issues.

Just chicken and haal masso, eggs and fish. They need a lot of running space as they tend to put on weight if they are a confined to small spaces. Fat Labs are unhealthiy and will have kidney and back leg problems later on if the weight gain goes unchecked.

If you have someone in the Police Kennels or the SLAF you might be able to get hold of a good puppy. They got the best blood lines.

If you get a female please no matter what you do, don't consider using her womb to make money! Its a crime. If you must, let her litter once and snip her.

Just one more addition for VVTI's post. A dog is a huge responsibility. Think before you get one. If you are just thinking of getting one for protection think twice. Dogs are not meant to be put in kennels all day or leashed. They need love.

Just one more addition for VVTI's post. A dog is a huge responsibility. Think before you get one. If you are just thinking of getting one for protection think twice. Dogs are not meant to be put in kennels all day or leashed. They need love.

Absolutely. They are like humans in many ways. Our one knows when one of us in a bad mood or in a happy mood and adjusts her behavior accordingly. They need to be fed on time, washed cleaned... its not easy and I always tell people don't get a dog for the sake of it.

They need so much attention and love.

VVT's bitch is beautiful and lovely looking, skin is like ridgebeck. I have a lovely ridgebeck and never allow any strangers to roam around .

Ha ha ha ha ha.. yes she is. She had that ridge since a puppy. Her mom would have hung out with the upper crust... :)

I couldnnt agree more..........We have a Black female Lab of 7+ years, she'll be 8 in June :) Buffy is her name.....She has a bark and well....no bite really

But then that works well cause the loud boom in her bark keeps people out anyway.

Used to sleep in our bed till the kids came along. ( Ripper no sarcasm pls :D ) Now sleeps with the kids in their rooms he he he.

Amazing with the kids........In fact even our pediatrition was pleased that we brought up our kids with her casue its been a proven fact that they ( dogs in general) teach kids

to love and care for others among other things.

So so true........Its best to keep them loose all the time, like we do. Worst case would be to keep them in the back garden if there are people who dont like dogs around..but then that a s rare occurance......for us anyway.

Some pics with Buffy below

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2764/62...69557029319.jpg http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6881/6253...69557029319.jpg

Edited by SHAI

I couldnnt agree more..........We have a Black female Lab of 7+ years, she'll be 8 in June :) Buffy is her name.....She has a bark and well....no bite really

But then that works well cause the loud boom in her bark keeps people out anyway.

Used to sleep in our bed till the kids came along. ( Ripper no sarcasm pls :D ) Now sleeps with the kids in their rooms he he he.

Amazing with the kids........In fact even our pediatrition was pleased that we brought up our kids with her casue its been a proven fact that they ( dogs in general) teach kids

to love and care for others among other things.

So so true........Its best to keep them loose all the time, like we do. Worst case would be to keep them in the back garden if there are people who dont like dogs around..but then that a s rare occurance......for us anyway.

Some pics with Buffy below

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2764/62...69557029319.jpg http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6881/6253...69557029319.jpg

errrrr! why drag me into this mate :P

i have no issues with you sleeping with K9's or any other animal for that matter :P:D

errrrr! why drag me into this mate :P

i have no issues with you sleeping with K9's or any other animal for that matter :P:D

LOL!!! An I thought i was gonna avoid it by asking you not to comment.......serves me right :lol::P

1) Dunno never owned one..my aunt did bugger lived for a good 8 years before the new maid decided to give pork remains..

2) i would also recommend going through the kennel association..you should be able to scout one if you visit the dog shows which they hold..dont trust the papers..most of the time they are in bred or they are genetic deficiencies..specially from a Jaela place where there is different kind of breeds in one house..thats mass production for me...best you go through someone you know so they can vouch..or through the kennel association..

3) i take my dogs to the Vet next to cargills down staple street not sure if i can mention names so PM if you need the name but its easy to find...they saved my dog once and im eternally grateful and loyal to that place..thats my opinion some might beg to differ about the place..

4) all dogs bark even pocket dogs so you shouldnt worry about that

5) any dog can be trained they just need a good trainer..you should be able to find ex police dog trainers around for a decent price...

I own a rottweiler and he`s a teddy bear within the family members or my friends who visit me frequently..but with strangers its a different story thats where training and disciplining your dog comes into play...good luck with your puppy hunting and if you need more info feel free to ask the forum..seems like we are very much interested in our dogs as much as our vehicles :)