• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pet Question !

ferrarif50

thanks everyone !!! i see most of you guys are interested and really care about dogs ! we r still looking for a Lab and that's our choice. will see how it goes. one more question, does any one knows about st.a******s ? thats a well known place, are they good?

again, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT !!! really appreciate it !!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the scene with pork remains? / Pork bones and scraps etc?

Things you should never give your dog....

Panadol

Chocolate

Coffee

Pork (all cuts) NO PORK!! It turns theuir stomachs inside out and they die of horrioble diarrhaea... dont knwo why.

Chicken bones.

Fish bones (small ones)

Prawn heads,

crab shells

They swallow them whole and choke and suffer later.

Edited by VVTi

Weird. None of our dogs ever had issues with chicken bones. Lived 14 and 12 years. And those were Poms, not big dogs.

Apoi.. those buggers are hard to kill! Ha ha ha ha..

No seriously, Chicken Bones and prawn heads are not recommended.

Soooo..... your saying its better to get small dogs? ;)

I agree on the prawns, we didn't give those either. But they merrily had chocolate and stuff. I dunno about the pork, but pork would have to survive the humans before going to the dogs ;) Though I'm fairly sure they had bacon bits and stuff.

BTW, do you mean raw chicken bones or summin? coz AFAIK, our buggers used to eat the leftover bones from meals all the time.

Not arguing, I didn't really take care of the dogs. We had dogs growing up and it was mums job looking after them. She swore we'd never have dogs again after the two died. She was very attached to them.

Chicken bones, especially leg bones are nasty. They dont chew them and they swallo it after a few bites, the jagged edges tend to cut them up, It doesn't happen with all the dogs all the time... but its a precaution.

Chicken bones, especially leg bones are nasty. They dont chew them and they swallo it after a few bites, the jagged edges tend to cut them up, It doesn't happen with all the dogs all the time... but its a precaution.

Makes sense. I guess the smaller dogs with the smaller mouths tend to chew it to smaller pieces which is why our ones were ok with it.

Sir,

For your comment of (Chicken Bones and prawn heads are not recommended.)

Own a male Labrador black for 10 years female died in 8 years I do not agree about feeding chicken bones beef with bones prawn heads you have to crush them and use a pressure cooker for 45 minutes then feed dogs with rice.

now I have 4 others off shots of lab to a ordinary female.I never sell my pups give them free to my relatives and friends who will look after them well.

Wijesinghe.

Foods poisonous to pets

By Megan Zehnder, Care2

We all know that pets aren’t supposed to have people food. But let’s face it, sometimes, it happens…something falls on the floor when you’re cooking dinner, and Buddy is quickly there, vacuuming up the crumbs, or Felix steels something off the plate when you aren’t looking…

There are some healthy “people foods” for pets (only small amounts– not replacements for pet food). But there are also many foods that can be dangerous to our feline friends and canine companions.

Here is a handy list of the top common foods that are toxic to your pet along with tips on what to do if your pet happens to get a hold of any of these substances.

Avacado

While many pet owners say they feed their pets avocados with no problems, studies have shown that their leaves, fruit, seeds and bark can contain a toxin called Persin. According to the ASPCA, the Guatemalan variety, which is commonly found in stores, contains the most toxicity.

Onions, onion powder, chives and garlic

These all can lead to gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. All forms of onion can cause problems including dehydrated onions, raw and cooked onions. Cats are more susceptible than dogs, but it can be toxic to both.

Grapes

Grapes

Grapes and raisins

These can be toxic to dogs and cause kidney failure. Researchers say there are still many unknowns about the toxicity of grapes and raisins, including whether only certain types of dogs are affected, but it is advised not to feed grapes or raisins to dogs in any amount.

Yeast dough

Dough that is not cooked and contains yeast can rise in your pet’s stomach, causing pain, and can potentially cause the intestines to rupture. This risk diminishes once the dough is cooked.

Bones

Bones

Left-over bones

Left-over bones pose a choking hazard to pets, and they can also splinter and puncture your pet’s gut or intestine. Additionally, do not feed your pet undercooked meat or eggs, as they can contain harmful bacteria.

Foods with a high salt or fat content

Excessive fats can cause upset stomach and potentially inflame the pancreas causing pancreatitis. Salty foods can pose a risk for the development of sodium ion toxicosis, according to the ASPCA. Be aware that if your pet gets into food with a high fat or salt content, she could experience stomach problems including diarrhea and vomiting.

Chocolate

Chocolate

Chocolate, coffee, alcohol

According to the ASPCA, the substances in chocolate, coffee, and caffeine, methlxanthines, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures, and potentially death in pets. The higher the cocoa percentage, the more dangerous the chocolate is, making dark chocolate more toxic than milk or white chocolate. All these products can cause vomiting, diarrhea and even death.

Sugarless candies (products sweetened with xylitol)

This compound can cause liver damage and even death in some more vulnerable dogs. Xylitol is in many products including gum, candy, sugar-free cookies and toothpaste.

Macadamia nuts

These nuts can cause weakness, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs. Symptoms generally last up to two days, and usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion.

What do you do if your pet ate something poisonous?

If your animal is having seizures or losing consciousness, bring him or her to your veterinarian or emergency vet center

Sir,

It is very easy to log into the web and quote from that.

I write all from my experience I have had more than 50 dogs during my life time 6 to 10 in my Coconut land.

Colombo Labrador 10 years old now with 4 ordinary male 1&3 females and Pomeranian's in early days

In my coconut land all mixed breeds which are found in those areas. They eat any small animals raw. without any problems live for more than 10 years. And they are good night watchers.

All doges are given Injections for Rabies. Any skin disease apply Magosa ( Kohomba)oil with sulphur powder.

Ideal thing is to give 1 tablet of Garlic daily.

Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Have had two labs in my lifetime, along with other breeds. VVTI's post sums it up. Don't feed them red meat, although this is commonly done in some Western countries, (even uncooked), I wouldn't really recommend this due to many pure bred dogs not having the stomach for red meat anymore (although they are carnivores by nature). Also, the risk of disease from improperly cooked meat, and worm problems, is not worth it. Instead, the diet recommended by the others here (as well as stuff to avoid) along with certain proper (not snake-oil) supplements recommended by a vet should be good. I haven't yet met a vet in SL who recommends beef for a dog either. Don't feed anything that will splinter in their mouth (hence the chicken bone problem). And watch how much you feed them - labs have a bottomless pit and will eat until they throw up. They're also very good at making you feel sorry for them and overfeed them - don't do it. You should just about be able to see their ribs when they are at an ideal weight.

Labs are very susceptible to skin disease, when you are checking out the puppies, make sure that their stomachs and skin are not having any black pigmentation. That's a common problem I've seen in Labs and Golder retrivers (a sort of dermatitis), and is a pain to cure.

If you get a lab, please try as much as possible (as someone else has mentioned) to see both parents. Labs are varying sizes (depending on whether the parents are from a field-bred or show-bred line (some call them "American" and "English"), the latter being shorter and stockier, with a boxy face and shorter snout (more common in SL), while the Field bred guys (I have a 10 year old one right now) are much leaner, often are enormous (my guy is close to 60kg, and not considered overweight for his height by the vet), and are perhaps slightly better guard dogs (all labs generally have a very deep and loud bark, which together with their size can be scary to people not familiar with them whether or not they're aggressive to outsiders). If you're looking for a guard dog though, the lab should not be your first choice.

The parents will give you a good idea of how big they might get, and the well bred ones often have folders made by their owners that lists the dog's lineage for several generations. More expensive, but in the long run, saves you a lot of grief.

Also, there's a difference in attitude between the males and females (I'm not sure if this is across all breeds or just this one). The females I've had and seen tend to be more like cats, meaning more independent, and somehow more aloof. The males I find are much more endearing, and are the sort who don't want to leave your side. Either way, I much preferred the male ones. YMMV.

The others have mentioned this, and I can't myself underscore how destructive they can be upto around age 2-3, especially while they're teething. Anything is fair game to be chewed on, so you better get used to leaving your shoes on top of the cupboard, any electric cables out of reach, rubber gloves and tissue bags (they sometimes swallow these whole, with possible bad results) and god bless any furniture that happens to take their fancy.

However, if you train them well, they'll soon grow out of this (my guy won't even chew a slipper if it's poked in his mouth, though until he was 2 would destroy any footwear he could find). They have extremely strong jaws, so good luck getting anything out of their mouths once they've locked their teeth on it (sometimes pressing the side of the jaws will make them release it, or offering them some food).

There are airforce and police trainers around, but make sure to get them early. Don't wait till the dog is a year or two old, because by then, it's too late. On the other hand, don't separate them from the mother for a couple of months. Most people are way too eager to wean them off within a matter of weeks, which can affect proper growth (physical and mental) of the dog later on.

Yes, chocolate is bad, but it depends on how much of it they've consumed vs bodyweight. A little chocolate may kill a small dog though it won't affect a much bigger one. Some countries have special "dog chocolate" for sale, but don't ever willingly give normal chocolate to any dog. (And don't leave any lying around, cos they will grab it and swallow it, wrapper and all).

Yes, make sure it gets all its shots on time (by the way, the 3 annual shots are supposed to be spaced out over a period of 1.5 months, (every 2 weeks)) when the dog is small (no harm doing it throughout its lifetime). I currently go to the same place in Staples street (actually they come home cos I have no way to transport my elephant). They had some bad publicity once, but I have had much worse experiences with so called "famous" vets who have really screwed things up. Also used them for some minor surgery, no complaints. The one big problem one of my dogs had, I managed to lug them to the peradeniya animal hospital, and got top notch treatment there, but you should be in good hands in Colombo itself.

There is plenty of good advice on the various UK and US kennel websites as well, make sure whatever info you look for on the web are from such accredited sites. If you can handle the potential initial issues, and train the dog well, getting a lab will be one of the best decisions you ever make. You'll never regret it.

Sir,

I write all from my experience I have had more than 50 dogs during my life time 6 to 10 in my Coconut land.

Colombo Labrador 10 years old now with 4 ordinary male 1&3 females and Pomeranian's in early days

In my coconut land all mixed breeds which are found in those areas. They eat any small animals raw. without any problems live for more than 10 years. And they are good night watchers.

All doges are given Injections for Rabies. Any skin disease apply Magosa ( Kohomba)oil with sulphur powder.

Wijesinghe.

Its very hard NOT To feed the troll... MUST NOT FEED THE TROLL!!!!

In my coconut land all mixed breeds which are found in those areas. They eat any small animals raw. without any problems live for more than 10 years.

Mixed breed dogs have much more hardy intestines than pure bred dogs who have over generations been brought up on a certain diet, and lost more of their immunity and ability to handle certain strains of bacteria and the like. It's just a sort of sideways evolution. In any case, I can't recommend feeding a labrador ANY small animals, let alone "any small animals." Too many known cases of dogs dying after eating poisoned or rabid rats etc.

Do you have this information from a proper source? Because I found a website earlier that details things that are poisonous to dogs (on the heels of VVTI's article): http://www.healthypet.com/PetCare/PetCareA...e4-af262ec76c7c

Scroll down to the very end and read the last set of "toxins." The authors of the site have nothing to gain from randomly listing garlic there, so I imagine this is all based on solid research.

In any case, why would you risk giving potentially harmful stuff to an animal who depends on you to care for it, when you could just play it safe? After all, since you have 50 dogs, you must know what it's like to lose one due to human error.

Regards,

Sean 'busy feeding the trolls' D

Sir,

And that electric car article you posted was your own piece of writing was it? :P

Here's a lesson from my 25 years of experience: People in glass houses should not throw rocks at others. (and must also turn off the lights when undressing)

Mixed breed dogs have much more hardy intestines than pure bred dogs who have over generations been brought up on a certain diet, and lost more of their immunity and ability to handle certain strains of bacteria and the like. It's just a sort of sideways evolution. In any case, I can't recommend feeding a labrador ANY small animals, let alone "any small animals." Too many known cases of dogs dying after eating poisoned or rabid rats etc.

Do you have this information from a proper source? Because I found a website earlier that details things that are poisonous to dogs (on the heels of VVTI's article): http://www.healthypet.com/PetCare/PetCareA...e4-af262ec76c7c

Scroll down to the very end and read the last set of "toxins." The authors of the site have nothing to gain from randomly listing garlic there, so I imagine this is all based on solid research.

In any case, why would you risk giving potentially harmful stuff to an animal who depends on you to care for it, when you could just play it safe? After all, since you have 50 dogs, you must know what it's like to lose one due to human error.

Regards,

Sean 'busy feeding the trolls' D

Garlic is good for your dogs... unless its a Vampire... :)

Man, we still punish ourselves mentally for letting our Cocker Spaniel get hold of the trash bag with the Crab shells in it.... 17 years later... ;( That bugger suffered and died in my arms and I don't think I was ever that upset since then. Trust me... you don't want a pet suffer and die slowly while you are holding it, helpless.

Main reason why we don't have dogs at home anymore..until that stray walked in to our lives.

Can i ask a question guys..................is the amount of people having dogs in srilanka increasing or decreasing.........I mean what was it like about 20 years ago, because i think many dogs are killed inhumanly because of no proper homes.Cats are small and can manage for themselves most of the time , but when it comes to a dog it is a different story

Can i ask a question guys..................is the amount of people having dogs in srilanka increasing or decreasing.........I mean what was it like about 20 years ago, because i think many dogs are killed inhumanly because of no proper homes.Cats are small and can manage for themselves most of the time , but when it comes to a dog it is a different story

Dont think there are records of such data machang... but if you look at the Press ads there might be an increase in pet ownership. But the amount of Ads does not reflect the actual figures.

Anyone have any experience on traveling with a pet? Can you send pets abroad and is there a company someone can recommend?

Check the embassy of the country you are traveling to... they will have the guidelines you have to follow.

Anyone have any experience on traveling with a pet? Can you send pets abroad and is there a company someone can recommend?

After checking with the embassy, check with the various airlines and their policies. I have no idea how big dogs are sent. I've heard of smaller dogs having a seat purchased for them, though they have to be kept in a cage. I imagine the others go in some sort of hold, but not sure about food and water, etc.

<<<courtesy www.dogslanka.com>>>

How to import a dog to Sri Lanka

It is relatively easy to import a dog into Sri Lanka. A person firstly must seek approval from the Department of Animal Production and Health in Peradeniya. An application form can be downloaded by visiting there website www.daph.gov.lk

A duly filled application along with the vaccination record for the dog should be faxed/ emailed to the Director General of the DAPH.

Permission to import will be granted within a few weeks.

Once an approved application is at hand one can work on import of the dog.

A suitable airline approved box needs to be purchased and airline booked, be cautious here as some airlines do not have live cargo hold and always try to book a direct flight to end destination.

A health certificate issued by the country of origin’s veterinary department or agricultural department (depends on the country) would be required. Be cautious here as some countries the certificate would only be valid for 48hrs, this means the dog has to be shipped within this time frame or you will have to get a fresh certificate.

Once the dog arrives your dog will subjected to a health check at the air port, ensure all the documents are in hand. In the same time you may have to pay duty for the dog. If your dog came accompanied it is much easier to clear. If your dog comes via cargo village then you may need a TIN # to clear the dog. We advise you get a wharf Clark to do the needful.

There is 1 month quarantine but this is mainly at the address declared by the importer. The animal should not be sold during this time and if sick or in the event the dog dies the DAPH should be informed.

Do not buy any dog that has not completed its quarantine period.

Koheda yanne, malle pol!!!!

QUOTE (racerx @ May 30 2010, 08:50 AM) *

Genius from Da Rock City responds...

How to import a dog to Sri Lanka

It is relatively easy to import a dog into Sri Lanka. A person firstly must seek approval from the Department of Animal Production and Health in Peradeniya. An application form can be downloaded by visiting there website www.daph.gov.lk

You don't know if you are coming or going, mate... hilarious!!!

Sylvie Genes all over!!!

Wondering if this is how he came to SL... :) Like the container cars, his hometown is famous for. :):sarcastic_hand:

Edited by VVTi