• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Window Tints-what's The Deal???

Shrapnel

just a quick headsup. at this time the police is stopping vehicles with tints infront of kurunduwatta (col7) police station. if u happen to survive with tints till this time, better avoid that route :) cheers

AL should have SMS alert system.... :jumping-smiley-013: :jumping-smiley-013: :jumping-smiley-013:

guys...im planning to tint my rear mirrors to 70% for privacy( breast feeding proposes).

can you pelase ensure me that it isnt an offence tinting the rears and as long as the front arent tinted?

thanks lot.

Are you running a Mobile Breast Feeding unit?

You do? Why?

Because fully tinting the front windows (and sometimes the entire windscreen leaving just a narrow open strip!) and sticking on a "Mahinda Chinthana" decal on your back window seems to give certain morons and thugs a 'licence' to do what they feel like on the road, even a hit and run, (regardless of the fact they are not VIPs or in any way connected). Perhaps you would have noticed this within the last year or so more than ever before. The idea being that nobody wants to mess with someone in a tinted vehicle because they're not sure who they are. Now I'm not for a moment saying that everyone with fully tinted cars behaves like this, but it does happen.

I wouldn't mind something like a 20-25% tint being allowed on the front windows. When I lived in the USA, front window tinting was banned in every state I lived in, including California and Texas (other states too, I'm sure). Not sure what the policies in Europe are. People have lived without any kind of tints throughout the history of automobiles, and they didn't all drop dead. There's a sun visor for blocking the sun. Tinted windows shouldn't be an excuse to start making your own road rules. And personally I think most cars other than black/dark blue cars look butt ugly with all four windows tinted.

Just my opinion, others may vary.

be a bit respectful mate!

havent you a mother?a sister?or a wife?

its just that my sister finds it quite awkward feeding the kid in the car!

Yes, you can do a full tint in the back windows, as has been mentioned on this thread countless times. There's some debate about a certain percentage allowed on the front windows, but I don't know about that, and don't think they have means to check it.

Yes, you can do a full tint in the back windows, as has been mentioned on this thread countless times. There's some debate about a certain percentage allowed on the front windows, but I don't know about that, and don't think they have means to check it.

WRONG!

ZERO tint on the front

upto 70% on the back.

Are you running a Mobile Breast Feeding unit?

Dude that's uncalled for.

Because fully tinting the front windows (and sometimes the entire windscreen leaving just a narrow open strip!) and sticking on a "Mahinda Chinthana" decal on your back window seems to give certain morons and thugs a 'licence' to do what they feel like on the road, even a hit and run, (regardless of the fact they are not VIPs or in any way connected). Perhaps you would have noticed this within the last year or so more than ever before. The idea being that nobody wants to mess with someone in a tinted vehicle because they're not sure who they are. Now I'm not for a moment saying that everyone with fully tinted cars behaves like this, but it does happen.

very interesting point Sean. I some what agree but it is very unfortunate that all of us have to suffer becasue of handful of idiots.

That's a good point. But the problem is that no cop will ever stop a tinted SUV in the first place for any reason, let alone order them to strip the tints from the windows. So I doubt that this law will prevent these thugs from doing as they please. All it is is a hassle for people who do want to keep their windows tinted.

be a bit respectful mate!

havent you a mother?a sister?or a wife?

its just that my sister finds it quite awkward feeding the kid in the car!

My apologies. How often does your sister do that?

best thing will be to get those Window covers with the rubber sucker in the middle. So when the need arises you stick it up and remove it.

I personally would not trust this 70% tint at the back with our retarded PoPos.

I removed it all and will suffer the indignity of the extra heat rather than get it o a debate with a monkey.

On another note, how come many of our forum members are a bunch of humorless twats? Many of them can't take a joke. What has happened to the humor, people??? Why so serious?

I think owning and driving cars has become such a stressful task for many people, worrying about 1kmpl, the cost of parts, the tax, etc, that the joy and humour of it all have all died.

I noticed that those who actually take a joke and give back in kind and still be non-anal about it are people who enjoy the driving and owning of cars regardless of the pain associated, not those who bought them to impress or as a dire necessity. They can take a joke and they give it back in style and you never feel that you offended anyone. Eg. MasterDon, Ripper, Peri, Devinda...

But some other members are just, like I said are, Humorless twats.

Cheer up guys, there is more to life than how many Kms per litre your Toyota does.

Damn, sometimes commenting here is like walking on broken glass, not knowing which sensitive Homo you will offend next.

Sad..

Edited by VVTi

WRONG!

ZERO tint on the front

upto 70% on the back.

This 70% range is a bit debatable. the 70% tint is under controlled light conditions. So if a cop sees you say at a certain time of the day with the sun falling at a certain angle, he will interpret the tint darkness level to what he think is wrong/right.

I had it happen to me in the Punto which as fcty standard darkened glasses at the back. The cop who stopped me near RC at least knew that there is a certain thing called Fcty darkened glasses and let me go after checking the window to make sure you cannot peel it off.

WRONG!

ZERO tint on the front

upto 70% on the back.

But what exactly is a 70% tint in the back? 70% as opposed to (100%) a pitch black glass, 70% as opposed to a (100%) glass where you absolutely cannot see in from the outside, 70% as opposed to (100%) where you cannot see outside from in, or what? What is the proper benchmark to define a 100% tint? I wouldn't mind asking a cop that next time, as this whole 70% thing is pretty arbitrary and seems highly subjective if they're not using some kind of metre (I have not heard of them doing such a thing anyway).

Ahhh I finally managed to get through to city traffic and spoke to a female officer who was in the know.

Driver side & passenger side (Front) CAN NOT have ANY TINT……

Rear windows – No issues and can have any shade / grade

Front windscreen – 1/5 of it can be tinted (Dark) basically a small strip

A also asked what I should do if a copper pulls me over for the rear windows :

Said “ there is a gazette and that the IGP has issues the same guidelines and if they have a confusion for them to call city traffic “ Not the exact words but in the same line

:rolleyes:

Edited by SeanD

I have called the Traffic police HQ and they confirmed that front both passenger & driver CAN NOT be tinted . Rear windows – NO ISSUES and can be 100% if required.

@ riddle - U know u can Install a sun screen that can be pulled up when needed for the rear window – cost something like 2000/-frm Darly road and it really helps with cutting down sunlight and also keeping the visibility - Got the same problem

WRONG!

ZERO tint on the front

upto 70% on the back.

WRONG!

I heard on Radio the police spokesmen saying up to 30% allowed in front and thats all, others may go even up to 100%.

This was from NethFM Balumgala program (cant remember the exact date) where they had done a special research on this. According to them, most of the cops were not aware of the correct rule and were just chasing behind each n every tinted glass. The Police Spokesmen accepted the fact that the cops were not aware of the correct law by that time (This was around 1 to 2 months back).

What part of that is a gazette notification dated 2002 and is no longer valid don't you understand?

Ohhh Damn. !

Is it expired :unsure:

I was keeping a photocopy f this in the car to show the cops if needed..

hahahaha so bloody stupid of me. :action-smiley-060:

Sorry guys. Thanks SeanD for the heads-up.

KW

Edited by KurtWagner

Dear All

please see the Govt Gazette notification on tinting.

Have a nice day.

docrv.jpg

This is the same old 2002 Gazette other members were talking before. Can any one have access to the latest version of it?

The funniest thing is they come up with a law which is retarded, don't give guidelines or equiptments to the cops who implement it and don't let the general public aware what the correct law is. I prsonally think the Police department should make a public disclosure regarding this issue to clear all doubts. They look stupid when the DIG comes on TV and says some thing and some other copper make their own rules on a radio show and another one sends a totally different notice to the papers. Think about the poor motorist who is rushing some where and is forced to peel his tints in the middle of the road.

Is there any member in the forum who has friends/relatives in a higher rank within the SL Police department who could clarify these facts and give some solid answers for the following questions. I'm sure all of us will much appreciate it.

1) Percentage of front tint allowed - (0%/30%/?)

2) Rear tints - (0%/30%/70%/?)

3) How is this percentage measured - But what exactly is a 70% tint in the back? 70% as opposed to (100%) a pitch black glass, 70% as opposed to a (100%) glass where you absolutely cannot see in from the outside, 70% as opposed to (100%) where you cannot see outside from in, or what? What is the proper benchmark to define a 100% tint? I wouldn't mind asking a cop that next time, as this whole 70% thing is pretty arbitrary and seems highly subjective if they're not using some kind of metre (I have not heard of them doing such a thing anyway) - Thanks Sean D

If they give something in black and white it will save all motorists time/money/stress.

Ohhh Damn. !

Is it expired :unsure:

I was keeping a photocopy f this in the car to show the cops if needed..

hahahaha so bloody stupid of me. :action-smiley-060:

Sorry guys. Thanks SeanD for the heads-up.

KW

Well you may be able to get away with showing it to the cops, since they don't usually go to question folks who are well prepared I think :P The worst they can do is tell you that it is expired, best they can do is get confused and let you go. However, beside that point, it would be good to try and get a copy of the new gazette notification for the new rules- if there is one.