• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Window Tints-what's The Deal???

Shrapnel

this is pretty sad, coz after all what rules is cop's decision. Although the law says some percentages and they should use a meter to check what exceeds enforced limits, that seems doesn't happen but a whole different 75meter BS. If the copper is visually impaired, then the lighter most original uv cut glasses too would be an offense, as they can't see from a 75meter distance.

When they impose new laws, they should think of proper ways to identify offenders too. Not giving a corrupt copper an another chance of looting in day light.

Similar to drunk driving law where as in other countries a certain percentage is allowed and here slightest smell of a beer glass leads to an overnight hassle in the police station and if the breathelyser(silvy, please check spelling, i'm too lazy for that) doesn't turn on color there are some drunk cops back in cop shed to take care of that.

Very true. They were operating in groups of 2 or 3 around the Town Hall area, and i managed to pass by 2 or 3 of such groups without any problem before i was stopped by this guy.

Is it because the others were able to see through and this fellow couldn't? :blink:

Everything depends on the cop....

Very true. They were operating in groups of 2 or 3 around the Town Hall area, and i managed to pass by 2 or 3 of such groups without any problem before i was stopped by this guy.

Is it because the others were able to see through and this fellow couldn't? :blink:

Everything depends on the cop....

This is tooootal bull*hit guys...

How the hell we know if these cops having correct eye sight? :unsure:

If they coming up with laws they shud handle it right way, with proper measuring equipments...

I said yes and told him that according to my knowledge rear tints are not allowed but front tints below 20% is allowed so i have not violated the law.

Not only would the leave the car looking ridiculous, please don't try and convince them that rear tints are not allowed!!

Not only would the leave the car looking ridiculous, please don't try and convince them that rear tints are not allowed!!

I think OP mixed that and meant to say front tints are not permitted, but a back tint of 20% is OK (though he mentions that the cop was fine with a very dark tint in his car)

All sorts of old timers returning these days :) Should try and find a few more. Like Shak, Dev and Andy.

:) Gee, I'm going OT

i'm around! :)

...saw the traffic codgers roaming all over Colombo last morning & stopping just about everything that moves with a tint! :o blew past them to avoid having to sit & explain V6's & exhausts to them! :lol:

this is pretty sad, coz after all what rules is cop's decision. Although the law says some percentages and they should use a meter to check what exceeds enforced limits, that seems doesn't happen but a whole different 75meter BS. If the copper is visually impaired, then the lighter most original uv cut glasses too would be an offense, as they can't see from a 75meter distance.

When they impose new laws, they should think of proper ways to identify offenders too. Not giving a corrupt copper an another chance of looting in day light.

Similar to drunk driving law where as in other countries a certain percentage is allowed and here slightest smell of a beer glass leads to an overnight hassle in the police station and if the breathelyser(silvy, please check spelling, i'm too lazy for that) doesn't turn on color there are some drunk cops back in cop shed to take care of that.

(silvy, please check spelling, i'm too lazy for that)

Are you requesting a reply from me.

Wijesinghe.

Oops..! my bad guys. Typing error.

I was in bit of a hurry when i wrote that post.

What i told him was That "According to my knowledge rear tints are allowed, but only a tint of 20% is allowed

on front passenger and driver side windows"

i'm around! :)

...saw the traffic codgers roaming all over Colombo last morning & stopping just about everything that moves with a tint! :o blew past them to avoid having to sit & explain V6's & exhausts to them! :lol:

ah yes...the exhausts! you had a tough time explaining them to me :P

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

What's the current situation of this "LOW"?

It seems now cops R not interested in Tinted vehicles any more.

Finally it's a another b**l S**t law put buy the govt. mainly with the security aspects if IFAA.

Oops..! my bad guys. Typing error.

I was in bit of a hurry when i wrote that post.

What i told him was That "According to my knowledge rear tints are allowed, but only a tint of 20% is allowed

on front passenger and driver side windows"

i got copped last sunday for having 20% tint in the front, the cop told me it has to be clear and no tint can be put to the front. my back is 50% he said that is no problem. no fine but he took my license and told me to remove it and bring it and show it at city traffic. did remove the tint but didnt show the vehicle, got the license from a reliable source inside... :DB)

Edited by Z.u.L

• 3 weeks later...
i got copped last sunday for having 20% tint in the front, the cop told me it has to be clear and no tint can be put to the front. my back is 50% he said that is no problem. no fine but he took my license and told me to remove it and bring it and show it at city traffic. did remove the tint but didnt show the vehicle, got the license from a reliable source inside... :DB)

yap same thing happen to me also............

they hav brought dis law to clearly catch the persons who uses mobile while driving...............................

cauz when cop stopped me i was muttering a song....................he thought dat im using da mobile(this is my opinion)

& my rear glasses r full black, cop said no need to remove it..............

they hav brought dis law to clearly catch the persons who uses mobile while driving...............................

cauz when cop stopped me i was muttering a song....................he thought dat im using da mobile(this is my opinion)

Seriously doubt it. They have only said for 'security' reasons. Nothing said about it being a safety issue.

Edited by jehan80

Since when can't you sing and drive? I do it all the time! :lol: Stupid fuzz.

• 3 weeks later...
hi guys...

wht is the current status of Tint Law...? still active?

Don't know abt the low active or not, but I've been driving around Colombo with tinted windows for some time now. But still cops didn't bother to stop me. :angry-smiley-048:

Yes I agree with you. If that is the law it should be common for everyone. This law is not implemented on government and police vehicles. Also I saw a policeman driving a red color jeep (near Bambalapitiya police station) while talking on the phone. I guess the whole idea is not our security. Either security of few people or government needs money from fines.

Edited by Malaka Silva
  • Like 1

hi guys...

wht is the current status of Tint Law...? still active?

yup its still active.

yesterday (sunday) at about 11am my friend was stopped at the corner of dickmons rd / duplication rd for tints. his has to remove two front tints and show it to the police to get his license back.

today morning at about 9am another friend was caught at negombo rd between seeduwa & airport junc. same story with the license.

so beware.

BUT, this leaflet is given to the customers by the tinting places now. it says the law was adjusted to allow 70% see through on front. im keeping a copy in the car so that i can argue coz for sure cops do not have meters to measure that. did anybody already try that out and got away without trouble?

~ elnino

Edited by E L N I N O

thats a gazette from 2003.. seven years ago... the new one that the cops are trying to enforce is something that came in during the last year or so....

of course the tinting places would want to get people to get some tinting done. Its not like they provide a guarantee customers their money back in the event of the cops asking them to remove the tint...

thats a gazette from 2003.. seven years ago... the new one that the cops are trying to enforce is something that came in during the last year or so....

of course the tinting places would want to get people to get some tinting done. Its not like they provide a guarantee customers their money back in the event of the cops asking them to remove the tint...

yeah machan i figured out that part later :(

did some research on this gazette and its been discussed on police dept site faq (http://www.police.lk/divisions/tfaffic_faq.asp question 15).

"Use of tinted glass are appended in Government Gazette 875/08 on 16.06.1995 and Gazette Number 1273/28 on 31.01,2003. If windscreen and the two shutters besides the driver are tinted It is an a offence. However 20% tinted glass could be used only on the top portion of the windscreen"

damn it :action-smiley-060:

Saw a new black LR defender in Kurunegala yday, with fully tinted windows, and a tinted windscreen with one narrow strip in the middle not tinted. Don't think it was any police or army vehicle, and it was travelling alone. Must be a self appointed V*P :) (come on admin, why is that word censored, I wasn't talking about the insurance policy :P )It just breezed past all the traffic cops on the road, who were obviously too scared to stop it just in case.

Moral of the story: If you want to bypass the law of tinted vehicles, just make sure you drive a defender or prado :)

Edited by SeanD