• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Window Tints-what's The Deal???

Shrapnel

More likely they'll do what they did to the seatbelt law, cellphone law, etc., and forget about it after a month.

yea...i have very light tints in front and a bit dark at the back.

didn't remove either and taking my chances until i get caught. I ran the car like that during the height of war crossing over a few high security zones everyday on my way to work.

so this stupid retarded law doesn't really make sense!

I've seen so many cars with very dark tints running around, so i suppose the cops were on high alert the first few days and now it's gradually fading off...

Ahhh I finally managed to get through to city traffic and spoke to a female officer who was in the know.

Driver side & passenger side (Front) CAN NOT have ANY TINT……

Rear windows – No issues and can have any shade / grade

Front windscreen – 1/5 of it can be tinted (Dark) basically a small strip

A also asked what I should do if a copper pulls me over for the rear windows :

Said “ there is a gazette and that the IGP has issues the same guidelines and if they have a confusion for them to call city traffic “ Not the exact words but in the same line

All members,

Please understand I am not retreaded at 68 years still active and stand on any forum.

If police gives a ticket to any member for a motor Traffic offense.

He has time to attend court and waste his time spend his money going behind a lawyer.

Or give a call to a high up police officer before the offense is entered in the police Court record book

For a case to appear in court get his license back for the Motor Traffic offense what he had done.

Yes I was born with a silver spoon and inborn ability to meddle with technological matters Qualified like wise.

Wijesinghe.

Glad you are not retreaded, uncle Sylvi.... :)

So with your 'inborn' ability on all things tech, please enlighten us on who are 'all' the manufacturers who are doing Boxer engines now?

Ahhh I finally managed to get through to city traffic and spoke to a female officer who was in the know.

Said “ there is a gazette and that the IGP has issues the same guidelines and if they have a confusion for them to call city traffic “ Not the exact words but in the same line

Thanks Mazdaspeed for that practical piece of advice....motoring around with your front windows down just to please da cops??? :blink: It defeats the purpose-doesn't it, with all this dust and heat????

Guys,as some members have pointed out,this won't be enforced fully...I believe they would let few punters go after greasing the palms of our valiant cops thus creating another source of funds for their daily booze and what-not.

Having said all that,my heart goes out to those coppers who man the busy roads tooting their whistles all day long until lungs are full of exhaust smoke and baking themselves in the infernal heat of Colombo.....

Thanks Mazdaspeed, that's very good info. And kind of makes this much less of a bigger problem, since it's the back windows that most people tint. Anyway, I think even in other countries there is a law that there should be 60-70% clear in the front windows as well, while you can do anything in the back. Must try and see if that gazzette notification is online, so that members who have this issue can print out a copy and keep in their vehicles.

Having said all that,my heart goes out to those coppers who man the busy roads tooting their whistles all day long until lungs are full of exhaust smoke and baking themselves in the infernal heat of Colombo.....

Found this recently, on FB, (credits to whoever took it, no idea)

slcop.jpg

I sure wouldn't want to be that guy, whatever said n done.

What if we have tints on front but drive with shutters lowered fully?

hah hah am doin the same nowadays, besides the weather isn't that bad, will see how long they wud look for tints, but again am sure i would have to take those off front tints someday

Btw SeanD, that pic is a repost, but anyway a nice shot really :)

Edited by shanX

Thanks Mazdaspeed, that's very good info. And kind of makes this much less of a bigger problem, since it's the back windows that most people tint. Anyway, I think even in other countries there is a law that there should be 60-70% clear in the front windows as well, while you can do anything in the back. Must try and see if that gazzette notification is online, so that members who have this issue can print out a copy and keep in their vehicles.

Found this recently, on FB, (credits to whoever took it, no idea)

slcop.jpg

I sure wouldn't want to be that guy, whatever said n done.

Found this on the internet " http://www.dailynews.lk/2001/pix/gov_gazette.html " hope it will be useful..didn't check that yet as I'm dead tired.. apparently its in sinhala and tamil only. :)

Found this on the internet " http://www.dailynews.lk/2001/pix/gov_gazette.html " hope it will be useful..didn't check that yet as I'm dead tired.. apparently its in sinhala and tamil only. :)

that a.hole of a lorry driver should have been stopped and beaten up!!!!

most heavy vehicles and some suv's, 4x4's were driving about like utter idiots when roads were flooded not giving a poop about other motorists in pedestrians.

had that SUV been a car most probably water would have gone into the engine bay :violent-smiley-030:

that a.hole of a lorry driver should have been stopped and beaten up!!!!

most heavy vehicles and some suv's, 4x4's were driving about like utter idiots when roads were flooded not giving a poop about other motorists in pedestrians.

had that SUV been a car most probably water would have gone into the engine bay :violent-smiley-030:

That's an SUV?? Jeeze, I thought that was a Subaru station wagon or something (stupid, come to think of it when looking at the back)...man, that is some high water. But lorry drivers and bus drivers (along with many other drivers) don't give a damn even about puddles of water along the road side when pedestrians are there. Too many days I would go to school with a white uniform drenched in mud thanks to those morons.

Edited by SeanD

That's an SUV?? Jeeze, I thought that was a Subaru station wagon or something (stupid, come to think of it when looking at the back)...man, that is some high water. But lorry drivers and bus drivers (along with many other drivers) don't give a damn even about puddles of water along the road side when pedestrians are there. Too many days I would go to school with a white uniform drenched in mud thanks to those morons.

Last afternoon IG came on radio and mentioned about tint matter.

He stands for what had been announced early has to remove tinted windows so that who are inside can be identified easily.

Any one wants tint door glasses A special permit has to be obtain.

I heard on a sinhala channel I cannot say what it is as I was in my Vehicle on Kandy road

Wijesinghe.

Thanks buddy, that's pretty helpful - hopefully the traffic cops know about this and won't hassle motorists too much.

Thanks buddy, that's pretty helpful - hopefully the traffic cops know about this and won't hassle motorists too much.

I'm running with an expired revenue licence with 100% tint on rear and 50% in front..now am starting to worry..if they stop me for the tint they will find out about the licence..ouch!

When is the grace period supposed be over? I still see cars with tint on the front shutters.

Seems like the grace period is now over. Went to the public library today and noticed coppers were everywhere on the way.

I have full tints on my rear passenger side windows and windscreen, light tints on my front passenger and driver side windows.

I managed to pass through several buggers on the way who gave me real harsh looks and near the Vihara maha devi park one bugger stopped me. He came to me and asked whether i was aware of the new rule. I said yes and told him that according to my knowledge rear tints are not allowed but front tints below 20% is allowed so i have not violated the law. Then the bugger was telling me the whole point of the rule was to identify the passengers on the front when looking from outside within a distance of 75 meters and he was not able to do that because of my front tints.

Then i asked him what about the rule of 20% tint allowed on front windows? my argument was that since my tint is below 20% it should be allowed. But actually i was not sure about percentage of tint i had on front, i was just arguing to get away. ;)

Then he was telling me the only way to get it confirmed is by the Government Analyst's Department (Rasa pareekshaka) and i have to go to courts for the offense of driving with tints.

I had no option so i removed the front passenger side tint at that moment. The bugger was satisfied and allowed me to go.

It seems like there wont be any meters or any similar type of equipment used by the cops to measure the tint.

Any type of tint on front windows which prevents the front passenger and driver from being seen at a distance of 75 meters is not allowed. (not sure how they gonna justify the visibility of the cop though :huh: ) and any type of tint on rear windows as well as the rear windscreen is allowed.

So guys, please be aware. The coppers are out there looking for tints. :excl:

Seems like the grace period is now over. Went to the public library today and noticed coppers were everywhere on the way.

I have full tints on my rear passenger side windows and windscreen, light tints on my front passenger and driver side windows.

I managed to pass through several buggers on the way who gave me real harsh looks and near the Vihara maha devi park one bugger stopped me. He came to me and asked whether i was aware of the new rule. I said yes and told him that according to my knowledge rear tints are not allowed but front tints below 20% is allowed so i have not violated the law. Then the bugger was telling me the whole point of the rule was to identify the passengers on the front when looking from outside within a distance of 75 meters and he was not able to do that because of my front tints.

Then i asked him what about the rule of 20% tint allowed on front windows? my argument was that since my tint is below 20% it should be allowed. But actually i was not sure about percentage of tint i had on front, i was just arguing to get away. ;)

Then he was telling me the only way to get it confirmed is by the Government Analyst's Department (Rasa pareekshaka) and i have to go to courts for the offense of driving with tints.

I had no option so i removed the front passenger side tint at that moment. The bugger was satisfied and allowed me to go.

It seems like there wont be any meters or any similar type of equipment used by the cops to measure the tint.

Any type of tint on front windows which prevents the front passenger and driver from being seen at a distance of 75 meters is not allowed. (not sure how they gonna justify the visibility of the cop though :huh: ) and any type of tint on rear windows as well as the rear windscreen is allowed.

So guys, please be aware. The coppers are out there looking for tints. :excl:

To clarify - the rear tints were OK, the cop had a problem with the front tints only, and you removed them?

To clarify - the rear tints were OK, the cop had a problem with the front tints only, and you removed them?

this is pretty sad, coz after all what rules is cop's decision. Although the law says some percentages and they should use a meter to check what exceeds enforced limits, that seems doesn't happen but a whole different 75meter BS. If the copper is visually impaired, then the lighter most original uv cut glasses too would be an offense, as they can't see from a 75meter distance.

When they impose new laws, they should think of proper ways to identify offenders too. Not giving a corrupt copper an another chance of looting in day light.

Similar to drunk driving law where as in other countries a certain percentage is allowed and here slightest smell of a beer glass leads to an overnight hassle in the police station and if the breathelyser(silvy, please check spelling, i'm too lazy for that) doesn't turn on color there are some drunk cops back in cop shed to take care of that.

Yep. He was ok with the rear tints since according to the law any kind of rear tint is allowed but he was not satisfied with the front tints.

I only removed the front passenger side tint at that moment. He seemed to be satisfied with that action and let me go without any charges.

I still have my driver side tint. :D

Must get rid of that as well before i come across another one.