• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Change Of Tyre Size

tombo

Bumping this up... Again... :) sorry guys

Hi,

My Ti My road runs on 175/70/R14.......but I have all 4 tires "CEAT"...(DONT ASK WHY ?)

Should I stay with these tires or should I move to a different brand ?

Is there a place where I can give my CEAT tires(They have done only 500km) and get a REASONABLE discount for my new tires.

Thanks in advance

wishvak

Hi,

My Ti My road runs on 175/70/R14.......but I have all 4 tires "CEAT"...(DONT ASK WHY ?)

Is there a place where I can give my CEAT tires(They have done only 500km) and get a REASONABLE discount for my new tires.

Thanks in advance

wishvak

ANYONE PLEASE.............

Hi,

Thanks in advance

wishvak

my idea is dont go with CEAT. Its a hard tyre & less handling.

Go with Jap or Indo brand. When you are going to buy new tyres, they will give a reasonable discount for your new tryes (exchanging old tyres)...

Any tyre shop will do it.

my idea is dont go with CEAT. Its a hard tyre & less handling.

Go with Jap or Indo brand. When you are going to buy new tyres, they will give a reasonable discount for your new tryes (exchanging old tyres)...

Any tyre shop will do it.

Thanks,,

I am also planing to exchange my current tyres to a new set...any idea where I can get a good deal............

• 11 months later...

My car (honda city 2003) should have 175.65.14 tires (i.e.580mm diameter). however the previous owner has fitted brand new 185.70.14 (i.e. 610mm diameter)tire set.is this OK. do I need to replace the tires. please help me.

Edited by brw

My car (honda city 2003) should have 175.65.14 tires (i.e.580mm diameter). however the previous owner has fitted brand new 185.70.14 (i.e. 610mm diameter)tire set.is this OK. do I need to replace the tires. please help me.

if your calculations are correct, the new tire circumference will be 5% more than the stock size. so when your car travels 105 km it will "think" it has gone only 100km; so if you calculate fuel efficiency from the odo it will look 5% worse than it really is.

Also your speedo will show 5% less than your actual speed (well, not exactly, because speedo's are usually calibrated to show a little higher than your actual speed)

<!--quoteo(post=120404:date=May 12 2010, 12:03 PM:name=tombo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tombo @ May 12 2010, 12:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=120404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My car Tyre size is

13x155 i want change it to 13x165 pls advice

car -corolla EE96 wagon<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

baloon size of your tire will be increased means handling will slightly improve and fuel consumption will slightly increase.

just make sure your tire doesnt hit the mud gaurd on full lock, I doubt it though 10mm is negligible, make 14/165 dude, it will improve the cars appearence. a normal rim costs abt 1500 tops.

My car Tyre size is

13x155 i want change it to 13x165 pls advice

car -corolla EE96 wagon

in my experience.. i once increased the balloon size of my old car.. and the turning circle was much bigger.. which gave me a huge headache when having to take U-Turns

@ Sifaan and jerryda

Thank you guys. I checked the link. It says if change of tire size is more than 3% it could effect the brakes :( . Mine is 5.3% larger. ???? :(

Hmm... didn't know about that... I guess it could refer to 1 of 2 things

1. the weight of the wheel (more precisely the moment of inertia) and the brake force needed to stop it. But in that case the threshold is unlikely to be based on the increase in circumference (and indeed the moment of inertia can be increased without increasing circumference).

2. the ABS measures the speed of each wheel. Maybe the calibrations can get messed up if the measured speed is too different from the actual

since you already have the tires, I would suggest you test how well the brake performs and see if it is good enough (if someone really familiar with the car can check it, might be better)

@ Sifaan

Even without knowing the tire difference, it took much distance to stop while breaking compared to other cars that I drove previously. When I brought the car to the agent for CVTF change I asked a supervisor regarding this. He told me that it is typical for this car (honda city) as the rear drum is smaller but he didn't know about the tires. May be I should do what u said, but even I my self feel the difference in breaking, thought it is typical to this car.

IMHO high radius of the wheel means high resistance to the break pads, therefore break system work hard to stop the vehicle. I wonder is it the case? I don't have much knowledge about this thing apart from the physics knowledge. :unsure:

May be as u said ABS measures a low reading of speed even though the speed is high. And therefore applies less pressure to the break pads. Is it the case? :unsure:

Edited by brw

May be as u said ABS measures a low reading of speed even though the speed is high. And therefore applies less pressure to the break pads. Is it the case? :unsure:

ABS only "kicks in" (releases brakes on wheel) if it thinks the wheel is locking; and then once it detects the wheel is spinning again, it again applies brakes, and it keeps doing this (release, apply) as long as needed; so it certainly isn't as simple as the way you describe it :)

• 10 months later...

The joys of GPS. Says my speed is only 63 when the speedo says 70, and says I have done 2.4 kms where my trip meter says 2.6...

Well, I need to change the tires on my Wizard anyway. Looks like the rubber is rotting or summin. At least I noted that and knew that expense was coming before I bought the vehicle. Not going for a highway ride with these tires! Might as well go for the right size.

And my dad was going "Doesn't feel fast, but the meter shows 60"... naturally doesn't feel fast, actual speed is around 52...

The joys of GPS. Says my speed is only 63 when the speedo says 70, and says I have done 2.4 kms where my trip meter says 2.6...

Well, I need to change the tires on my Wizard anyway. Looks like the rubber is rotting or summin. At least I noted that and knew that expense was coming before I bought the vehicle. Not going for a highway ride with these tires! Might as well go for the right size.

And my dad was going "Doesn't feel fast, but the meter shows 60"... naturally doesn't feel fast, actual speed is around 52...

Although... Checking shows that it has the correct tire size...