• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Speedometer Not Working

macroxx

Hay guys,

My EK3's speedometer is not working. First I thought its the sensor and I checked the sensor and its not bad. The service guy told me that its something with the cluster coil. Do you have any idea about this part and how much it will cost to replace? Mileage is also not working because of this. Most importantly I feel so sad that I cannot see the speed of ma baby when I drive. :D If you know a place to repair it please let me know.

Cheers.

Mac

there is a speedometer repair fellow at Kirulapona. I got a job done from his sometime back and it was a good. Come along the baseline road upto highlevel road and turn right at the colour lights. Then about 75 mtrs away to right is a by road. The fellow's shop is located at the end of this road on the left had side just as u ascend small hill. If u find it difficult to locate the fellow, just reply to this.

:rolleyes:

Hay guys,

My EK3's speedometer is not working. First I thought its the sensor and I checked the sensor and its not bad. The service guy told me that its something with the cluster coil. Do you have any idea about this part and how much it will cost to replace? Mileage is also not working because of this. Most importantly I feel so sad that I cannot see the speed of ma baby when I drive. :D If you know a place to repair it please let me know.

Cheers.

Mac

Did you check by replacing your sensor with a one known to be working? Because there are guys who tell you those things are good and working just by looking at it. Also try to source a working speedo cluster and plug it in and check.

This way you can isolate the issue whether it's your speedo cluster or vehicle speed sensor or wiring loom.

Cluster coil is not something you can buy over the counter and replace. It's a built in component inside your speedo cluster and it has a unique resistance in order to provide accurate reading of the speed of your vehicle (that coil is what makes the speedo gauge/needle move). Someone tamper this and replace this coil does not necessarily give you the accurate speed unless otherwise you need some speed on your cluster to please you.

on an important note, you said your mileage/odo meter is also not working? if so definitely there's something wrong with the vehicle speed sensor or wiring which sends the signals from sensor to meter cluster. Simply because if the cluster coil has failed, then it only should affect the speedo gauge/needle and your odo meter will keep on ticking.

What I don't know is whether, EK3 has an interfacing module which takes the signal from speed sensor and convert/normalize and sends to speedo cluster. If yes, this module too need to be checked.

there is a speedometer repair fellow at Kirulapona. I got a job done from his sometime back and it was a good. Come along the baseline road upto highlevel road and turn right at the colour lights. Then about 75 mtrs away to right is a by road. The fellow's shop is located at the end of this road on the left had side just as u ascend small hill. If u find it difficult to locate the fellow, just reply to this.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for your info mate. Someone else told me to go to that place too. its the road by the peoples bank if i'm right. I think I can find the place, sure I will go and check it there. Cheers, and thanks a lot for ur help :alc:

Did you check by replacing your sensor with a one known to be working? Because there are guys who tell you those things are good and working just by looking at it. Also try to source a working speedo cluster and plug it in and check.

This way you can isolate the issue whether it's your speedo cluster or vehicle speed sensor or wiring loom.

Cluster coil is not something you can buy over the counter and replace. It's a built in component inside your speedo cluster and it has a unique resistance in order to provide accurate reading of the speed of your vehicle (that coil is what makes the speedo gauge/needle move). Someone tamper this and replace this coil does not necessarily give you the accurate speed unless otherwise you need some speed on your cluster to please you.

on an important note, you said your mileage/odo meter is also not working? if so definitely there's something wrong with the vehicle speed sensor or wiring which sends the signals from sensor to meter cluster. Simply because if the cluster coil has failed, then it only should affect the speedo gauge/needle and your odo meter will keep on ticking.

What I don't know is whether, EK3 has an interfacing module which takes the signal from speed sensor and convert/normalize and sends to speedo cluster. If yes, this module too need to be checked.

Wow... thanks mate for your information. I thought it really is the coil or something. Coz I check the speed sensor for a broken wheel. But the wheel is fine. And take the car to a guy for a check. He did some inspections by attaching wires and a bulb "No idea about what he has done". I forgot to mention one thing, sometimes the meter works and suddenly go back to 0 and some times it jumps and stop working. Do you still think its with the speed sensor? Anyways I think I must try the place that RABA told. what do you think? Thanks mate for your detailed respond.. really appreciate it :rolleyes:

Wow... thanks mate for your information. I thought it really is the coil or something. Coz I check the speed sensor for a broken wheel. But the wheel is fine. And take the car to a guy for a check. He did some inspections by attaching wires and a bulb "No idea about what he has done". I forgot to mention one thing, sometimes the meter works and suddenly go back to 0 and some times it jumps and stop working. Do you still think its with the speed sensor? Anyways I think I must try the place that RABA told. what do you think? Thanks mate for your detailed respond.. really appreciate it :rolleyes:

my gut feeling is it should be either faulty sensor or most probably loose connection at either of ends. I personaly don't know about that place but if it was me, I would've taken it to an electrician preferably an ex-stafford guy ;)

I had a similar issue with the fuel gauge, took off the cluster. Fuel gauge's coil had to wires going back to the connecting circuit, so one wire has got broken of where it connects to the circuit. I soldered it back and now it's working. Maybe in your case it could be the sensor or sensor's wires back to the speedometer

Me too had the similar issue speedo meter suddenly goes to over 100 then come down and stops etc. Changed the speedo meter sensor. Cost me about 7800 bucks.

Looking at the issue it's sensor problem

Thanks for your info mate. Someone else told me to go to that place too. its the road by the peoples bank if i'm right. I think I can find the place, sure I will go and check it there. Cheers, and thanks a lot for ur help :alc:

Guys name is Priyantha.. call him on 077 7773789

• 7 years later...

Hi Keeran,

You will have to use a speedometer face replacement if that's possible with the cluster. But still your ODO meter will show the figures in miles. You can just dial. But my suggestion is not to change it and get used to the miles reading.