• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyre Prices

lasa

Stay away from not so popular tire brands. cos we made a great mistake putting those cheap a*s tires to our van (CR27) and after 5000 Kms we had to replace all front ball joints. tire might lasts long but not the suspension parts. so stick with known good tire brands like Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop etc.. it might costs couple of thousands more but i think it's an worthwhile investment.

We had GT Radials on our Maruti a couple of years back. The only complaint I'd have was they kept deflating. I'd make sure that all tyres were at the right pressure on Monday morning, and a couple of days later, find some of them would have lost several psi of pressure. When I had it checked at first, it turned out that the stock rubber valve used was defective. So got a couple of aluminum or steel ones (I forget) installed. But the problem persisted.

It was annoying, one tyre could lose up to 10 psi after about a week. I had them checked several times, but couldn't get to the bottom of the problem.

Mine could have been a freak occurrence, but just thought of adding this here anyway.

Btw you should check out some reviews off the net. I saw several positive ones for the Nangkang N3000.

Guys, out of the blues.....I got a email from a reputed Tyre dealer in Sri Lanka saying can buy tyres and pay in 6 months interest free installment by Credit card....they say they have "Nankang" for my Toyota Starlet...How good is this brand for mine ? Any expert comments ? Coz I need badly all 4 's ....

Nankang is Taiwan based. Used their NS series tires sometime back and they were good bang for buck. I think the company is like to the Advan/Yoko group.

Yes correct, its Taiwan made.

Now hope I can have some replies on the tyre sizes, as I'm a bit confused after checking with the dealer. ( sorry if this was spoken earlier, but pls help me)...

My existing is 155/80 x 13 for the starlet. What are the positive and negative points if I go for a 165/80 or 155/70, need to decide before I buy them or should I stick to the same size for a good performance. ( specially the fuel , tyre wasteage etc.. )

thkx

Yes correct, its Taiwan made.

Now hope I can have some replies on the tyre sizes, as I'm a bit confused after checking with the dealer. ( sorry if this was spoken earlier, but pls help me)...

My existing is 155/80 x 13 for the starlet. What are the positive and negative points if I go for a 165/80 or 155/70, need to decide before I buy them or should I stick to the same size for a good performance. ( specially the fuel , tyre wasteage etc.. )

thkx

Shouldn't you be considering 165/75 or 175/70 if you are staying with 13"?

You can use this calculator to see what impact it will have on circumference http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

(the variation will affect speedometer, odometer, and ABS if you have it)

whole bunch of advise on what to consider when changing sizes: http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/...plus_sizing.pdf

to my understanding, a wider tyre will give you better steering response, but will cost more.

and if you increase the rim size, you can also additionally get better looks (wheels look better than tyres) but will cost even more as you have to replace rims as well; maybe OK if you are anyway converting from 13" steel rims to alloys.

AFAIK If you are not after steering performance, you're probably better off with standard size

Shouldn't you be considering 165/75 or 175/70 if you are staying with 13"?

You can use this calculator to see what impact it will have on circumference http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

(the variation will affect speedometer, odometer, and ABS if you have it)

whole bunch of advise on what to consider when changing sizes: http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/...plus_sizing.pdf

to my understanding, a wider tyre will give you better steering response, but will cost more.

and if you increase the rim size, you can also additionally get better looks (wheels look better than tyres) but will cost even more as you have to replace rims as well; maybe OK if you are anyway converting from 13" steel rims to alloys.

AFAIK If you are not after steering performance, you're probably better off with standard size

Hi Sifaan,

Thkx for the reply. Well I will not change the rims, will stick with the size 13. ( Unfortunatley Java doesn not support my PC to read your link ). So if I go for a 165 / 80...( existing is 155 /80 ) what will be the final out come ? looks / less fuel ( as of now it's about 15 km/ L avg. ) / good steering response etc....

Hi Sifaan,

Thkx for the reply. Well I will not change the rims, will stick with the size 13. ( Unfortunatley Java doesn not support my PC to read your link ). So if I go for a 165 / 80...( existing is 155 /80 ) what will be the final out come ? looks / less fuel ( as of now it's about 15 km/ L avg. ) / good steering response etc....

Summary stats:

Specification Sidewall Diameter Circumference Difference

155/80-13......4.9in....22.8in....71.5in.......0.0%

165/80-13......5.2in....23.4in....73.5in.......2.8%

165/75-13......4.9in....22.7in....71.5in.......-0.1%

With 165/80 tyre circumference is 2.8% more... so when odometer says you have travelled 100km, actually u have gone 102.8

similarly when speedo says 100/hr you are actually going at 102.8/hr

so apparent fuel economy will change; real fuel economy (within the limits of my understanding) will not change

165/75 appearance will be more or less the same (tyre is wider but that is usually not so visible)

165/80 tyre will look bigger, and also there's a chance the tyre will rub against the body if there's not enough clearance... usually 3% extra shouldn't cause a problem but once bloody A*W tricked my wife into larger tyres on the K11 (because they didn't have the right size in stock) and it was rubbing somewhere when steering full to left/right.

165/75 will technically give better steering response because of the shorter sidewall, but I don't know if it will be so much that you'd really notice

Summary stats:

Specification Sidewall Diameter Circumference Difference

155/80-13......4.9in....22.8in....71.5in.......0.0%

165/80-13......5.2in....23.4in....73.5in.......2.8%

165/75-13......4.9in....22.7in....71.5in.......-0.1%

With 165/80 tyre circumference is 2.8% more... so when odometer says you have travelled 100km, actually u have gone 102.8

similarly when speedo says 100/hr you are actually going at 102.8/hr

so apparent fuel economy will change; real fuel economy (within the limits of my understanding) will not change

165/75 appearance will be more or less the same (tyre is wider but that is usually not so visible)

165/80 tyre will look bigger, and also there's a chance the tyre will rub against the body if there's not enough clearance... usually 3% extra shouldn't cause a problem but once bloody A*W tricked my wife into larger tyres on the K11 (because they didn't have the right size in stock) and it was rubbing somewhere when steering full to left/right.

165/75 will technically give better steering response because of the shorter sidewall, but I don't know if it will be so much that you'd really notice

Thkx a million for your speedy and expert reply. Opens my eye....cheers

Thkx a million for your speedy and expert reply. Opens my eye....cheers

dude I'm not an expert... the only time we changed tyre sizes (because of A*W foolery) it didn't even work out well.

what I was sharing is what i got from internet, people here who actually play this game may have better advise!

my tires are due for replacement, currently 195/65R15 and thinking about forking out for 205/60R15 but not sure if the benefits will be worth the extra cost. might be better to just spend the money on a better brand tyre that will last longer.

• 4 months later...

Guys... I will be needing to get all 4 tires changed most probably in a couple of months... Still using the tires that came with the car...

So how much wud each 195/55/15R tire cost?

Except the chinese ones

[/quote

Why don't you call a few tyre places and get the latest figures for a few brands and decide when you actually need to replace them?? That's what the rest of us generally do... Besides, two months is a long time for the prices to remain unchanged..

Edited by seeker

Hi guys,

Normally how many miles do you score with a tier, if you can mention the brand then it would be much helpfule. Mine is a Chinese one put by previous owner and I had abt 20000km on them and now it's time to change.

• 1 year later...

if I was you, would've gone for GT. Reasons are

1. competitive price

2. fast moving stocks (due to price factor again), so you get better quality tires which hadn't stayed longer in the inventory

3. Quality wise, its value for money and lasts long

downsides of GT would be the ruggedness in the tire. This was something I experienced when I was using GT and Good Year in turn. Good year was smooth but GT tire was rigid.

We had GT Radials on our Maruti a couple of years back. The only complaint I'd have was they kept deflating. I'd make sure that all tyres were at the right pressure on Monday morning, and a couple of days later, find some of them would have lost several psi of pressure. When I had it checked at first, it turned out that the stock rubber valve used was defective. So got a couple of aluminum or steel ones (I forget) installed. But the problem persisted.

It was annoying, one tyre could lose up to 10 psi after about a week. I had them checked several times, but couldn't get to the bottom of the problem.

Mine could have been a freak occurrence, but just thought of adding this here anyway.

Btw you should check out some reviews off the net. I saw several positive ones for the Nangkang N3000.

This happen to me as well. It’s was Roadstone. I replace 2 front tyres with Duro+. It was 8200.Goodyear tyres ok so far.They say it will do 1,00,000 KM. Will see…I,m happy with 70….

Slightly OT but .. for a daily driver that will be taken on long drives frequently (once a week say) and more often than not driven fast, would the experts recommend Bridgestone (Potenza) or Yokohama (Advan) ? Looking for reliability in local conditions + sportier response.

For Dunlop , it seems that tyre size 185/60 R15 is not available with agents. They told me this to another tyre size:

Tyre 185/65 X 15 VE302 R/TL DUNLOP JAPAN => Rs. 13972.50 (Cost per tyre)

Tyre 185/65 X 15 EC201 R/TL DUNLOP INDONESIA => Rs. 10733.40 (Cost per tyre)

:speechless-smiley-004:I wonder why they don't have 180/60 R15 ??