• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Where Can I Buy A Car Inverter

riddle

Mate...Its like this....2000++ Vs 3500....Guarantee Vs Non and Finally the time involved...I do enjoy my little inverter a lot and I run that atleast 2hrs a day...From Laptop DC pack to..OMG blender ha ha.

MINIACE

blender??? are you mixing cocktails on the go ace? :D

anyone know a price of the car jump start thingy and where to get one

Sir,

I made some inquiries from battery motor spare parts and Electrical unit dealers no one has that never heard similar units.

What you want that is a portable unit with two wheels can take to any car and jump start..

Best is to fabricate one with a high ampere battery and get a battery charger fix for same to that get jumper cables fitted permanently if not you will spoil battery terminals if you go to hold them and use.

If you need any help on this matter please contact me.2573690/0712222420.

Advise will be given free of charge. As I am no more in Electrical Field.

Wijesinghe.

• 2 weeks later...
what???CFL???naah,.,,i was in need of charging my macbook(45w) and sometimes charging my thinkpad(60w) aswell because i work with em 24x7...

If the requirement is only to use a laptop computer off the car battery, what are the pros and cons of using a DC-DC converter vs using an inverter ?

The DC -DC converters I have seen (in places like Unity plaza) is plugged into the cigarette lighter socket and the other end connects to the power socket in the laptop where the mains power brick connects usually. So 12V to 18.5v or what ever the laptop needs (provided you find a dc-dc converter that gives the required voltage and power).

If using an inverter I guess 12v dc to 230v ac, and then anyway the power brick of laptop will do 230v ac to 18.5v dc or what ever needed by laptop.

Which is better ?

(old post, but I saw a dc-dc converter recently, hence the question :) )

If the requirement is only to use a laptop computer off the car battery, what are the pros and cons of using a DC-DC converter vs using an inverter ?

The DC -DC converters I have seen (in places like Unity plaza) is plugged into the cigarette lighter socket and the other end connects to the power socket in the laptop where the mains power brick connects usually. So 12V to 18.5v or what ever the laptop needs (provided you find a dc-dc converter that gives the required voltage and power).

If using an inverter I guess 12v dc to 230v ac, and then anyway the power brick of laptop will do 230v ac to 18.5v dc or what ever needed by laptop.

Which is better ?

(old post, but I saw a dc-dc converter recently, hence the question :) )

Sir,

DC to DC as your battery is 12 Volts this will have to increase to your Laptop Charger input socket to be 18.5 Volts this method is OK.

If not you will have to buy a DC 12 Volts Inverter to 230 Volts AC and use your laptop with the normal charger which comes with the Laptop.

Both systems work OK. All above said units are Electronic components you will have to buy a good Quality Inverter.

I think most suitable for you is to use 12 Volts DC to 230 AC inverter then the normal charger because it is trouble free.

If you want any more clarifications you can call me On 2573690/0712222420.

Wijesinghe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Guys,

Just thought of waking up this old thread to clear up my doubts. I purchased a car inverter (12 to 240 V ) very recently (Cheaper one for 4000.00 rs). The manual says that it gives a modified sine wave and after going through the net, I found that such modified sine wave could damage sensitive electronics like Switched mode power supplies.

After the purchase, I have used it for charging my phone without an issue. Now i want to use the same for charging a TAB but bit afraid to do so, after going through the net. Guys, have you got any experiences with the the use of invertors..

regards

I am guessing you will be using the power adapter (e.g. 240v charger with a usb port) plugged in to the inverter to charge the tablet PC? If so, it won’t be an issue since the charger has got some sort of a voltage regulator inside it anyway. Modified sine wave doesn’t necessarily mean that it`ll give you voltage spikes, it`s just not ‘cleaner’ Alternative Current that fan motors, CFL bulb circuitry, etc.. doesn't really like.

This is a highly inefficient method to charge a phone though..! (DC > AC > DC)

Guys,

Just thought of waking up this old thread to clear up my doubts. I purchased a car inverter (12 to 240 V ) very recently (Cheaper one for 4000.00 rs). The manual says that it gives a modified sine wave and after going through the net, I found that such modified sine wave could damage sensitive electronics like Switched mode power supplies.

After the purchase, I have used it for charging my phone without an issue. Now i want to use the same for charging a TAB but bit afraid to do so, after going through the net. Guys, have you got any experiences with the the use of invertors..

regards

Modified sine waves contain harmonics which can extend to radio frequency range, thus there is a possibility of RF energy ending up in some of the sensitive parts of the circuitry. But this is a NOT a problem as long as the switched mode power supplies that you plug into are not cheap designs. Quality switched mode power supplies contain a built-in low pass filter at the front end to filter out possible RF entering into the rest of the system. Now if you use a low quality switched mode power supply you will face the same risk when you plug it on to your mains supply. The mains supply here in SL contain lot of RF noise because we do not have Electro Magnetic Compatibility (EMC) regulations enforced on electrical equipment. Thus I do not see an additional risk in using your modified sine wave inverter with switched mode power supplies.

Edited by Rumesh88

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 'modified sine wave" an eyewashing term for a square wave?

You are absolutely right when it comes to cheap designs! But there were industrial grade inverter designs in the past which simulated sine waves approximately by adding several square waves of different amplitude together. they too were known as modified sine waves.

I am guessing you will be using the power adapter (e.g. 240v charger with a usb port) plugged in to the inverter to charge the tablet PC? If so, it won’t be an issue since the charger has got some sort of a voltage regulator inside it anyway. Modified sine wave doesn’t necessarily mean that it`ll give you voltage spikes, it`s just not ‘cleaner’ Alternative Current that fan motors, CFL bulb circuitry, etc.. doesn't really like.

This is a highly inefficient method to charge a phone though..! (DC > AC > DC)

I do agree with you. Problem is Galaxy Tab does not support the 12V --> 5V USB adopters available in the market. That is why i thought to plug in the Tablet AC adapter to the Inverter..