• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Accord 1998 - American

Chris0628

Hey guys... saw a few Accord 1998 - American edition for sale & a friend of mine is interested..... please send in your feedback abt this model .. pros/cons ??

One of the best accord model ever made by honda. If you don't care about the fuel economy, It is the best on this class. No major issues. Comfort good handling at high speeds and spare parts availabilty are plus points.

I was really interesting on this model and about to buy but I gave up the idea due to bad fuel consumption.

If you dont ride everyday still you can manage with 6-7 km/Lt in town.

One of the best accord model ever made by honda. If you don't care about the fuel economy, It is the best on this class. No major issues. Comfort good handling at high speeds and spare parts availabilty are plus points.

I was really interesting on this model and about to buy but I gave up the idea due to bad fuel consumption.

6-7 is a bit low even for a 2Ltr Manual :)

i would not rate it the best in the class, but surely it is a great value for money car. brand new parts are available with agents but when you think about a car this old you have to think about 2nd hand parts too because if you think about something like an alternator and starter motor, the barnd new ones cost lakhs! honda 2nd hand part availability is extremely bad. ask any one who has been hunting for even civic 2nd hand parts in case you don't trust me. 6-7 km/l for a manual 2L engine is quite disappointing. after all it is a honda and is suppose to be more efficient than a nissan counterpart.

if it does around 6-7 in colombo heavy traffic then its far way better for a 2ltr manual. coz my bro's nissan wingroad Y11(1.5ltr manual) did only 8.5 - 9.5kmpl within colombo

i would not rate it the best in the class, but surely it is a great value for money car. brand new parts are available with agents but when you think about a car this old you have to think about 2nd hand parts too because if you think about something like an alternator and starter motor, the barnd new ones cost lakhs! honda 2nd hand part availability is extremely bad. ask any one who has been hunting for even civic 2nd hand parts in case you don't trust me. 6-7 km/l for a manual 2L engine is quite disappointing. after all it is a honda and is suppose to be more efficient than a nissan counterpart.

Used parts are available at TECK motors and at some places in Delkanda area but it is not freely available like civic parts . What I said is, that was the best accord model when you compare with the later model which came from india.

Used parts are available at TECK motors and at some places in Delkanda area but it is not freely available like civic parts . What I said is, that was the best accord model when you compare with the later model which came from india.

i have heard the accord body parts are relatively rare to find. :unsure:

if it does around 6-7 in colombo heavy traffic then its far way better for a 2ltr manual. coz my bro's nissan wingroad Y11(1.5ltr manual) did only 8.5 - 9.5kmpl within colombo

6-7 in colombo for a 2L manual "HONDA" is good, but not good enough. my auto "NISSAN" cefiro does 7.5km/L in rush hour traffic. may be accord should improve it's numbers after throttle body and injector clean up. fuel consumption is not the real weak point of accord, it's a availability of used spare parts or the lack of it thereoff.

6-7 in colombo for a 2L manual "HONDA" is good, but not good enough. my auto "NISSAN" cefiro does 7.5km/L in rush hour traffic. may be accord should improve it's numbers after throttle body and injector clean up. fuel consumption is not the real weak point of accord, it's a availability of used spare parts or the lack of it thereoff.

i dont know how these cars are working so much on fuel in rush hour colombo traffic :blink:

coz even a toyota carina AT212 auto(1500cc) does only around 7.5 - 8.5 in colombo rush hour but it does 12-14kmpl outstation

i dont know how these cars are working so much on fuel in rush hour colombo traffic :blink:

coz even a toyota carina AT212 auto(1500cc) does only around 7.5 - 8.5 in colombo rush hour but it does 12-14kmpl outstation

my city vtec automatic does 9km/L in colombo traffic and 16 km/L travelling outstation.

same car with manual box does 11-12 km/L in colombo traffic and only upto 14 km/L when travelling to outstation.

so don't be surprised with your car fuel consumption figures. if u have a look at how different gear boxes work and their gear ratios then all your questions will be answered.

about my cefiro 7.5 km/L... this same car with my cousin bro using it did 6+ km a liter, i took the car, did a throttle body and injector cleaning and replaced an ignition coil (most cefiros have this issue and go un-noticed) to take it upto where it is now. i usually drive carefully too. i take piliyandala to colpetty via dehiwala route which is not as congested as say coming from malabe to colpetty. all these factors affect fuel efficiency.

And what, in your opinion, is the "correct" value for a 2l manual? I'm sure there are a few Primera owners who would be fascinated to find out.

Engine size isn't the only determinant in economy.

• 2 weeks later...

Have owned a 1999 Accord (manual) since November 2008. Fuel tank takes in about 60 litres of petrol and I easily get 475 km within Colombo even driving in rush hour traffic. Usually turn the air-conditioner off while shifting from Neutral to first gear (but leave the blower on). I have surpassed 550 km for 60 litres, driving with the AC turned off full time (within Colombo). These figures are possible only if you drive sensibly without unnecessary acceleration/deceleration and using the brakes very gently. Spares are somewhat expensive but last for a long time. Very comfortable car and a joy to ride when you are on one of those long journeys. Handles well and has a good grip. Interior is roomy and elegant. I Haven't changed the plugs yet nor done a tune up but always replace the air filter every 8000 to 10000kms.