• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

After Car Accident On Road

Uditha88

My ex was a doc working in the ER, and she went on Ambulance rides all the time while on duty. Event to Anuradhapura. But that was a private hospital so don't know if they attend accidents

Well, that's a VERY different case isn't it :P

A private ambulance will take not only a doctor but the hospital's chairman anywhere in the country for the right price :D

Thanks guys. That gentleman phoned me little while ago (I gave my business card before I leave,to contact me in case if he need any further assistance from my side) and thanked me for helping him. After I left he had taken all action on his family members and the vehicle also taken home safely. Now his family is ok and everything is under control. So I am happy too. :)

indeed a story of two gentlemen :), happy to hear that too

that happens because some of our people think the kandy road is a scandinavian highway and Micro Panda is actually a volvo with 657 air bags and D*MO battas have the handling of a porsche. Sadly they claim the lives of perfectly legit drivers, innocent by standers as well - otherwise idiots paying for their idiocy is part of evolution.

sadly if you don't have a the car horn, you're done!!! :( some bikers and tuks don't even care to turn their lights on when it's gloomy and dark. anyways it's fine as police only find them selves with " double ira and thani ira"

Whatever said and done Sri Lankans are empathetic people and our first instinct is to rush the patient to the hospital. But the best medial practice is to NOT move the injured without trained medical supervision. In fiatLife's example, the deliver rider would have been in a lot of pain yes, but 3-4 adults manhandling someone like that into a three-wheeler could do MORE harm.

A broken bone isnt going to break any further if the victim is just lying on the ground. But improperly moving him could cause the bone splinters to damage blood veins or break further complicating the resetting and healing. A friend of mine had an epileptic fit at a party once and fell to the floor. People around him tried to help by carrying/lifting him and in the process broke one arm and dislocated the other shoulder :P

But in Sampath's scanario yes, spending a few hours and few thousand bucks at a doctor is better than your family wasting a whole week organizing your funeral and spending even more money on your coffin.

this is very true. the first priority should be to get the injured to the proper medical attention. the problem with transportation is with the lack of knowledge amongst general population. if we can establish a proper emergency response service like 911, or educate at least 25%-30% of the population about basic trauma management, the problems with patient handling and transportation can be avoided.

At least professional bodies such as SLMC, GMOA should act on this if not the government . In this new year season more than 50 died on the road alone.

I do think non of the above bodies should attempt what you are saying. SLMC is the regulatory body which is responsible for keeping registration of doctors,dentists, pharmasists, nurses (few years back), and supervising their proffessional and ethical conduct, supervision of medical colleges and dental college etc.

GMOA is a trade union, a trade union must involve in activities which are for the benefit of the members primarily, that is why it is concerned about vehicle permit, (vehicle permit has a long story as to why it was given in the first place, how it evolved to the level where it is now, why and how docs are entitled to vehicle permits etc..) kids schooling issues (mainly in association with 4 yearly transfers), to have a proper regularization and quality control in PMC (check SLMC report on PMC, and have a chat with a 3rd year student of the PMC you will get to know why it is needed)

Edited by nadisha
  • Like 1

I didn't say it was an obligation of SLMC or GMOA or whatever rather a voluntary move just for the sake of general public since they are professionals of the subject. I would be happy if someone could take such initiative to minimize deaths on road.

Well I understand what you're trying to say.

Edited by hrm

(Whatever said and done Sri Lankans are empathetic people and our first instinct is to rush the patient to the hospital. But the best medial practice is to NOT move the injured without trained medical supervision. In fiatLife's example, the deliver rider would have been in a lot of pain yes, but 3-4 adults manhandling someone like that into a three-wheeler could do MORE harm.

A broken bone isnt going to break any further if the victim is just lying on the ground. But improperly moving him could cause the bone splinters to damage blood veins or break further complicating the resetting and healing. A friend of mine had an epileptic fit at a party once and fell to the floor. People around him tried to help by carrying/lifting him and in the process broke one arm and dislocated the other shoulder :P)

Thank you. This is very true. Before moving a person after an accident one must make sure there are no injuries to the neck or the backbone. If moved it may result in an permanent injury to the spinal cord. This is why in a European country people are very reluctant to help an accident victim because while trying to help if you cause damage you will be sued.

What happens in Sri Lanka is a completely deferent scenario. People will bundle the victim in to a three wheeler and send in to a hospital. Sometimes it is good but sometimes it is a big mistake.

Well, that's a VERY different case isn't it :P

A private ambulance will take not only a doctor but the hospital's chairman anywhere in the country for the right price :D

Not joyrides oi! On duty, to pick up patients and bring to hospital.

Not joyrides oi! On duty, to pick up patients and bring to hospital.

Yes; to pick up PAYING customers/patients who request it. Unless the accident happened right outside the hospital, I doubt a private hospital would allocate resources (ambulance/staff) to go fetch a patient who didnt ask for it (meaning wont/cant pay for it)

Edited by Watchman

yes,i do agree with sampath,most valuable thing is human lives. But in SL some people try to exploit the situation by stealing the valuables of the victims.

further it is very difficult to cope with 3 wheel drivers,bus drivers etc if u met with an accident.by all means it is advisable to have a full insurance cover before u satart ur jurney.

Yes; to pick up PAYING customers/patients who request it. Unless the accident happened right outside the hospital, I doubt a private hospital would allocate resources (ambulance/staff) to go fetch a patient who didnt ask for it (meaning wont/cant pay for it)

Ahhh, u meant like that.

Not sure it works like that. I think in cases of major disasters even the Pvt ones do help out. Bomb blasts and stuff. At least lend the vehicles to take people to the govt hospital.