• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Ae100 Odometer/speedometer Problem

Explorer

Question

Couple of months back speedometer of my AE100 stopped working, initially it was displaying a low speed (ex: when I'm driving at about 60Km/h it was displaying like 40Km/h) and now it is 0 Km/h always. Odometer is also now showing a wrong distance. For example when I travel about 100 Km it shows 50 -60 Kms.

Strange but similar problem with the RPM as well, When the engine is running about 4000 RPM it displays ~2000RPM.

When I show this to a reputed (having a famous name) garage, they told me the whole panel with all the meters needs to be replaced and it will cost me around 10000 - 12000. Another garage investigated the problem and told that it is a problem with one of the sensors and it needs to be replaced (but they didn't have parts).

Does anybody come across some thing like this? Any good place to go and check/fix this thing?

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Couple of months back speedometer of my AE100 stopped working, initially it was displaying a low speed (ex: when I'm driving at about 60Km/h it was displaying like 40Km/h) and now it is 0 Km/h always. Odometer is also now showing a wrong distance. For example when I travel about 100 Km it shows 50 -60 Kms.

Strange but similar problem with the RPM as well, When the engine is running about 4000 RPM it displays ~2000RPM.

When I show this to a reputed (having a famous name) garage, they told me the whole panel with all the meters needs to be replaced and it will cost me around 10000 - 12000. Another garage investigated the problem and told that it is a problem with one of the sensors and it needs to be replaced (but they didn't have parts).

Does anybody come across some thing like this? Any good place to go and check/fix this thing?

Thanks.

Most probably could be a sensor issue

Forgot to mention one thing in my previous post, it has the feature of doors getting locked automatically when I exceed 20Km/h (don't know the name of this feature). Now the doors get locked at about 60 Km/h (sometimes it does not work at all)

So I'm also thinking it is related to some sensor.

Anybody know a good place to get this fixed??

Thanks,

Most probably could be a sensor issue

I too think it's a sensor / electrical connection issue.

Where do you live mate.? I have a very reliable Toyota electrical expert that I know from Hanwella. The guy used to work at TL and helped out to resolve many electrical probs of my friend's Starlet. Didn't have a need to see him for my ae100 though.

his name is Athula. Call him on 0716554455 or 0716278110 (don't know which number works)

BTW the feature that locks your doors at 20kmph is called the "speed lock". :-)

Hi all,

Though this thread is old I would like to refresh it because I am looking to buy a Corolla CE100. In one car I realized the same problem showing less speed and less rpm than they should be. Also in another car (LX limited - no rpm) have seen same problem in speedo. So I want to know if someone has got it fixed? In 1993 model is there a cable or a elec sensor for speedometer?

Dear all,

I am having the same problem with code 42 indicated when checking with the bulbs. I have ordered a speed sensor from UK and should arrive in mid-July 2020. I shall keep you guys informed once speed sensor is replaced. Thank you.