• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Meaning Of Reconditioned

esdeez

Hey Guys...

Was wondering what the real meaning of a 'reconditioned car' was.A while ago an auto seller told me that being reconditioned the car in question had naturally (reconditioned being to his definition) had all the panels, glass, lights and interior and some other things totally replaced to make it 'brand new'. I however was not convinced at this explanation...

So guys, what really does it mean to recondition a car?

Hey Guys...

Was wondering what the real meaning of a 'reconditioned car' was.A while ago an auto seller told me that being reconditioned the car in question had naturally (reconditioned being to his definition) had all the panels, glass, lights and interior and some other things totally replaced to make it 'brand new'. I however was not convinced at this explanation...

That is what should happen.. but it doesn't..

That is what should happen.. but it doesn't..

I think in the past(30 odd years ago) cars were actually reconditioned to an extent. I am not sure about this its just something I have heard. These days you cant call imported cars reconditioned they are just used imports.

Edited by maliths

I think in the past(30 odd years ago) cars were actually reconditioned to an extent. I am not sure about this its just something I have heard. These days you cant call imported cars reconditioned they are just used imports.

Correct... and it is more accurate to say "second hand" than reconditioned..

Hey Guys...

in some countries agent certified cars are called recon cars. main things they replace are the tiers, brake pads (depending on the agent even that only if they are worn more than 50%) fluids and other visible nitty-gritty issues.

Hey Guys...

Was wondering what the real meaning of a 'reconditioned car'

Paint touched up, writing on windscreen erased, service/car wash,

May include tires replaced (with used ones) and minor cosmetic work.

Edited by Saturn

Reconditioning probably is mostly applicable in eurpoean countries, especially in the uk, where when you import a JDM car you have to change a whole heap of things to make it fit uk road standards. These include changing speedo meter to MPH, headlights to meet motorway standards etc.

• 9 years later...
8 hours ago, ChathurangaW said:

I recently purchased a vitz 2018 from I**ra Traders with only 20km, but CR mentions the car as a Reconditioned. How can this be possible?

Only agents can bring and register a car as brand new, 

even if you bring a car with zero km and don’t let it touch the tarmac till rego, it will still be marked as reconditioned aka used in japan

an instance this is going to come it to play is, no matter how high u insure the car, 

any claim including total wreck / write off , they will pay you only 80% of the car value or replacement part value if the part is brand new, as the car was reconditioned * used in Japan *

Edited by tiv

Some companies pay 100% for cars 2-3 years from the year of manufacture.

In the event of a total loss they will pay the full amount if you have insured for the correct value.

Always recommended to be backed by a official valuation  

On 7/23/2019 at 2:43 PM, ChathurangaW said:

I recently purchased a vitz 2018 from I**ra Traders with only 20km, but CR mentions the car as a Reconditioned. How can this be possible?

This is done not by them...but it happens in the country of origin. In Japan, all manufacturer dealers are legally required to register all vehicles they give to a customer. So even if the customer comes to the dealership in a car carrier and takes it straight to the port and puts it in a ship, the dealer is required to register the car before the buyer can take it off the dealership lot. Then, because the car is registered, the car needs to be unregistered (usually can be done in a day). So when car sales people buy a brand new car in Japan at the dealership, it get registered and unregistered in Japan. Any car that has a prior registration history is classified as a Used car. Thus, your car, even with zero mileage from Japan, is technically a used car because that is what the paper work from Japan suggests. So..the only way you can have a brand new car with NO previous registration history is to buy a brand new car from the manufacturer's local agent where the vehicle will be allocated from the factory to the local agent's stock. Now..the term reconditioned is actually not the correct term and it theory it should be used. But Sri Lankans used weird terms...so here is the answer to the original question from 9 years ago about how reconditioned came about.

Reconditioned Cars:

The terminology came about because of Japanese car imports.

In the late 70s and early 80s Japanese used car exports were getting rather popular. In order to popularize it more and show a good value proposition the Japanese authorities introduced what is called "Reconditioned Cars", now this was a time where auctions did not have grading schemes like today. Reconditioned cars meant,  the ""used car" would be inspected and then all issues that are discovered would be fixed and car would be in good working order. So if the car needed new tires, engines fixes, or even a paint job...they would do it before exporting the car. Once the work has been done it would get inspected again and then a certification was awarded (cars came with a blue circular sticker with a white colored swastika). Along side reconditioned cars were "As-is cars",  cars that were sold as is without any fixing. Needless to say reconditioned cars were a bit pricier but popular in SL....Sri Lankans being the way they are blindly started calling all used imports "Reconditioned". 

Thus, explains why your CR says Reconditioned when the proper term should have been Used.

Optional reading:

Why the reconditioned certification stopped: In the mid 80s a large Sri Lankan car supplier and a few of its Japanese partners were caught taking scrapped cars and then fixing them up just to pass the inspection...so a lot of Reconditioned cars started having quality issues (sounds familiar ???). So they took away the "Reconditoned" certification and all cars were sold "As-is". But now the Japanese needed a mechanism to differentiate cars based on the condition...so the auction grading scheme came about. Does the new system work ? Well...it works for the Japanese...because a R grade scrapped car that is fixed still leaves Japan as a R grade car..it is just that magic happens on the way over to SL that everything becomes grade 5 :)