• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Slardar Sigirya Rallycross 2010

Ripper

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk abt thread jacking.... :action-smiley-060:

you mean talking about photography stuff :P

Peri and i are both going to take pics of the races so we were talking within that context :)

anyways...it starts off tomorrow so all the best to all competitors! :)

Got this info on SL-GT qualifying. Pretty close competition.

Pasindu- 1:18.241

Dinesh - 1:19.043

Aravinda - 1:19.458

Mahinda Premaratna - 1:20.291

Janaka Dias - 1:20.439

Rameez Mahmour - 1:21.773

Rizvi Farouk - 1:22.445

Reyaz Farook - 1:22.750

Shirendra Lawrence - 1:24.261

Manish Goonatillake - 1:27.446

Ashan Silva - DNS

Carmen Thenuwara - DNQ

See if you can borrow a 70-200 f4L. Its only $500 so you don't have to feel too bad about abusing it :)

Will that have the speed you need for a motocross event? And in low light you're going to need a monopod etc won't you?

:( ... im speechless... just absolutely speechless... that track needs alot more attention... well looks like the supercars are gonna be out of racing for awhile...

Damn news has got to you quick! I think they should have watered the track. If SL-GT ran on the conditions the T&J ran, I think it would have been a helluva lot better off. Ask Ishraq. He had a grand old time in the T&J :)

And before you ask, I was in the opposite end of the track from the crash, so I didn't see what was up.

Will that have the speed you need for a motocross event? And in low light you're going to need a monopod etc won't you?

Our existing lens are f4-f5.6 :) so no issues at all. Racing in SL doesn't take place in low light, except for rallies. I was trying to drag the shutter for some motion blur today, ISO 100, 1/160 and f19. So yea, f4 is just fine.

Mixed reactions. I never got to onto the track, so shot from the paddock spectator areas. I had the reach to take some far off action, but it was so hot the shimmering air means that the images are just not sharp.

Damn news has got to you quick! I think they should have watered the track. If SL-GT ran on the conditions the T&J ran, I think it would have been a helluva lot better off. Ask Ishraq. He had a grand old time in the T&J :)

And before you ask, I was in the opposite end of the track from the crash, so I didn't see what was up.

My mum was at the track and she called me as the accident happened cos she knew id be mad upset... so i knew bout 30 seconds after it happened... its a shame cos maneesh's subaru had spun and resulted in the 2 blue evo's smashing into him and all 3 cars had been lying across the track, my uncle saw the accident and braked hard and came to a complete stop in front of the cars...the track was so freaking dusty that dinesh im guessing did not see my car stopped and pretty much ploughed into the back of the STi... and thus shot the STi into the cars in front that were already in the accident... maneesh's car definelty took the worst impact...its a shame cos now we have 6 supercars out of racing for a bit... :(

Our existing lens are f4-f5.6 :) so no issues at all. Racing in SL doesn't take place in low light, except for rallies. I was trying to drag the shutter for some motion blur today, ISO 100, 1/160 and f19. So yea, f4 is just fine.

Mixed reactions. I never got to onto the track, so shot from the paddock spectator areas. I had the reach to take some far off action, but it was so hot the shimmering air means that the images are just not sharp.

No kidding? I guess it 'cos you're primarily shooting in bright sunlight; cool well if that's the case I guess it makes a good choice for its about 1/4 the cost of a 70-200L f2.8L with IS....nice. Good to know there's other options to spending $2k on a 70-200mm f2.8L IS; although I guess the advantage with having a 2.8L is that by spending another $500 and adding on the 2x extender you end up with a f5 400mm when needed...

Edited by Kavvz

My mum was at the track and she called me as the accident happened cos she knew id be mad upset... so i knew bout 30 seconds after it happened... its a shame cos maneesh's subaru had spun and resulted in the 2 blue evo's smashing into him and all 3 cars had been lying across the track, my uncle saw the accident and braked hard and came to a complete stop in front of the cars...the track was so freaking dusty that dinesh im guessing did not see my car stopped and pretty much ploughed into the back of the STi... and thus shot the STi into the cars in front that were already in the accident... maneesh's car definelty took the worst impact...its a shame cos now we have 6 supercars out of racing for a bit... :(

I'm glad everyone's okay.

No kidding? I guess it 'cos you're primarily shooting in bright sunlight; cool well if that's the case I guess it makes a good choice for its about 1/4 the cost of a 70-200L f2.8L with IS....nice. Good to know there's other options to spending $2k on a 70-200mm f2.8L IS; although I guess the advantage with having a 2.8L is that by spending another $500 and adding on the 2x extender you end up with a f5 400mm when needed...

More interesting to get the 300mm f4, around $1200-1300. Hella sharp. Tho it won't really suit my style of shooting for races. I need a zoom.

I'm glad everyone's okay.

Yeah. Good things all those safety regs are there. Manish was probably saved from serious injury thanks to the strength of the roll cage. I heard him say even his seat had twisted a little from the impact,

Not me... I will be ready to run Carlton on 21st Feb.

Dinesh, what are your thoughts on mass-start gravel racing? I don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this discussion but I'm sure people want to know what the drivers think.

Ripper might have of the damaged cars. I'll put mine up as soon as I can. But a bit of a busy day, so might take time.

sadly i too missed the actual crash cos i was on the other side waiting for cars to get back on to the runway straight.

but after peri's call managed to walk-run all 0.9km's to the edge of the runway to see the pile up.

DD's car was being towed at the time so didn't get a chance to capture that

but we saw the X later and it had very little damage...mostly to the front fenders and the inter-cooler piping...a couple of days work should sort that out me thinks :)

img0090h.jpg

img0093gx.jpg

img0095ut.jpg

img0097al.jpg

img0100xi.jpg

img0101td.jpg

img0103cz.jpg

Kavvz

In my personal opinion..i don't think having faster lenses are an advantage in motorsports photography unless off course you're shooting in low light.

at F2.8 kinda setting the DOF is so shallow it will be pretty tough to get things in focus... especially the way i shoot with with AF or with AF on AI tracking...

I mostly shoot with shutter priority and that too i like to drag the speeds down so that automatically close the aperture...

faster shutter speeds tends to freeze things too much for my liking...

Edited by Ripper

Not me... I will be ready to run Carlton on 21st Feb.

21st march you mean :)

Dinesh, what are your thoughts on mass-start gravel racing? I don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this discussion but I'm sure people want to know what the drivers think.

yeah was a bit crazy especially with the condition of the track being so dusty etc etc...

i think this times' lineup must've been the biggest to date ....

quite strange that they can't reduce the number of cars during qualifiers i mean isn't that why they are called qualifiers????