• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sri Lanka Security Situation

ash

B):action-smiley-060::blink:

:o Anyway what I told about the vehicles beign taken into national service is for real. In 2000 when CBK announced the emergency situ it was possible. They anyway take mainly lorries in an emergency event...But younever know with the scale of war we are looking at this time

So the MP's are going to take over the fastest cars so they can get from point A to B as quick as possible is it :rolleyes:

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ditto...can read...cant understnd wat i read :action-smiley-060:

Here is the translation guyz..

----

Each of the B.P. Mercs cost Rs. 60 Mil. Transaction was carried out without following standard govt. tender and fiscal procedures. Eventhough D*mo is the dealer for MB, Govt. has directly contacted MB Germany. However MB AG has advised govt. to go through D*mo.

Initial order was for 12 B.P. cars. They had only 9 cars in stock and out of that 5 of them were on order for the King of Jordan. SL wanted to take all on emergency conditions and MB has got permission from King of Jordan to release his cars to SL.

Two cars were immediately airlifted by Lufthansa.

Govt. required all 9 cars at once. Due to the exessive weight MB had made arrangements to send them in part shipments.

---

Here is the translation guyz..

----

Each of the B.P. Mercs cost Rs. 60 Mil. Transaction was carried out without following standard govt. tender and fiscal procedures. Eventhough D*mo is the dealer for MB, Govt. has directly contacted MB Germany. However MB AG has advised govt. to go through D*mo.

Initial order was for 12 B.P. cars. They had only 9 cars in stock and out of that 5 of them were on order for the King of Jordan. SL wanted to take all on emergency conditions and MB has got permission from King of Jordan to release his cars to SL.

Two cars were immediately airlifted by Lufthansa.

Govt. required all 9 cars at once. Due to the exessive weight MB had made arrangements to send them in part shipments.

---

ahh.. a very nice translation... i was getting ready to translate when i saw this... :action-smiley-060:

I have heard that the glass they use in the bullet proof vehicles are only supposed to be used for 6 months. After 6 months of UV exposure (thats sunlight for u non-genius folk :D ), they break down and loose the bullet proof properties. Then they become like normal glass. Wouldn't suprise me if our politicos think u actually have to replace the whole car every 6 months because of this :rolleyes: "I need a new bulletproof car, my old one isn't bulletproof anymore. I'm gonna give that to the 20y/o I'm banging while pretending to work. So give me a new car..." :rolleyes:

Never heard of that angle.....

As far as I know bullet resistant glass is comprised of a layers of polycarbonate laminated between layers of glass, and stop the bullets from passing through by absorbing its energy when the bullet hits the polycarbonate layer. Haven't read anywhere about UV exposure being a factor which affects those properties anywhere. Where'd you hear of this Pericles? Is it on the web?

As far as I know bullet resistant glass is comprised of a layers of polycarbonate laminated between layers of glass, and stop the bullets from passing through by absorbing its energy when the bullet hits the polycarbonate layer. Haven't read anywhere about UV exposure being a factor which affects those properties anywhere. Where'd you hear of this Pericles? Is it on the web?

i guess glass becomes brittle... then the policarbonate will be the only layer stopping the bullet... basically it flexes in absorving the kynetic energy. it doesnt act like a brick wall deflecting the bullet.... so if the glass/polycarbonate cant flex i guess it looses its purpose

do u know that singapore has this procedure? at a certain age youths should go for military practice, regardless of their position. whether its president's son or not.. even some middle east countries have it..

Yes there are countries that have it. I know South Korea for sure. But, IMHO, no chance of it happening in SL.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

:D Anyway what I told about the vehicles beign taken into national service is for real. In 2000 when CBK announced the emergency situ it was possible. They anyway take mainly lorries in an emergency event...But younever know with the scale of war we are looking at this time

Yeah, but they take vehicles useful for military purposes, like jeeps. They took all the State Plantation planters vehicles for army use sometime in the 80s. (hmmm, then again, those are govt. vehicles to start off with :P )

I read it somewhere. Also its in Tom Clancy's Patriot Games. The explanation for the glass failing on the Prince of Wales limo. Unless they are following a new process now :D

I read it somewhere. Also its in Tom Clancy's Patriot Games. The explanation for the glass failing on the Prince of Wales limo. Unless they are following a new process now :huh:

:D I'm loving this!

i guess glass becomes brittle... then the policarbonate will be the only layer stopping the bullet... basically it flexes in absorving the kynetic energy. it doesnt act like a brick wall deflecting the bullet.... so if the glass/polycarbonate cant flex i guess it looses its purpose

n' Good info Dilesh- certainly sounds logical.

Quick question...

Cant we localy modify an Mercedez or any other car to upgrade it to a bullet prrof? It will save lot of money....

i think the metal parts ownt be an issue... but i dont think we can mould the glasses.... its no easy task...

Quick question...

Cant we localy modify an Mercedez or any other car to upgrade it to a bullet prrof? It will save lot of money....

IF the local company doing the modification can pay the relevent minister and his buddies more commision than the import deal, prefrerebly to an account offshore, this will not be too difficult even if the car is not really B.P. :D

Quick question...

I don't think this modification thing gonna work without proper technology in SL. Makin a BP car is not like makind an ordinary car. its metal parts are thicker and it has metal beam structure for each door to harden the body. and the bottom is sealed and thats not using these ordinary welding equipment.. even the tyres are made so that car could do like 60mph without no air in them. More weight of car means different suspension, clutch, atleast 12 cylinder engine, etc. Don't think this gonna work in SL.

If this could be done other developed countries should have started it by now.. even they import it (Merc) from Germany, so just 4get modification thing.

about that UV reduces the BP effect. that can't be true. no glass is replaced in SL every 3 months. :blink:

• 2 months later...

It was a bomb targeting an EPDP fella (according to grapewine, NOT confirmed)....one man & a CHILD is amonst the dead.... this is a very sad situation...... My office shook as it's almost righ next door. Hope this sorta thing stops...

It was a bomb targeting an EPDP fella (according to grapewine, NOT confirmed)....one man & a CHILD is amonst the dead.... this is a very sad situation...... My office shook as it's almost righ next door. Hope this sorta thing stops...

Yeah its pretty gruesome. There showing clips on tv. Probably might even have curfew

where do u work Ashan?