• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Locally Assembled Van

Le Sabre

Any body know the price these locally assembled vans are going for.

Any info of their website.

http://www.dailynews.lk/2010/02/17/bus03.asp

WTL launches locally assembled van

To compete with other imported brands:

Th local automobile industry has a huge potential and there is a growing market for locally manufactured vehicles. It is a landmark event for WTL Automobiles to unveil their first locally assembled diesel passenger van, WTL Hiace WTL Automobiles Managing Director Indika Sampath Merenchige said.

A BOI company, WTL Automobiles was set up for vehicle assembling with an investment of Rs. 100 million.

WTL Automobiles (Pvt) Ltd launched the locally assembled diesel van at a ceremony held yesterday in Colombo. Picture by Kavinda Perera

The venture has been successful in producing vans assembled in Sri Lanka. The value addition per vehicle is 42 percent.

The parts for the van are imported from China.

“The company will provide an efficient after sales service and this could create a market for its spare parts within the country. It would help generate employment and also a market for the automobile spare parts saving a great deal of foreign exchange,” he said. Sri Lanka could attract international market as a vehicle assembling centre.

We are confident that we could compete with Japanese vehicles as our product is offered at an affordable price. With this move, an automobile related industry growth could be anticipated, he said.

Wasana Trading Lanka was established in 1994 to import Japanese reconditioned vehicles by focusing the requirement of customers and a good after sales service.

In 2005, Chana Changan Automobile Corporation awarded the sole agency to Wasana Trading and it captured the market by opening many showrooms, workshops, spare parts outlets and a 24-hour technical assistance service.

WTL is Wasana Trating Co. LTD. So mostly the quality would be the same quality as their existing vehicles. :angry-smiley-048:

And also I've seen a Ambulance marked as MICRO, a diesel van. It got the same look like Toyota Hiace Dolphin Van. I think they first issue these van to Govt institiues to check. Any one have any idea abt this Micro Van?

Th local automobile industry has a huge potential and there is a growing market for locally manufactured vehicles. It is a landmark event for WTL Automobiles to unveil their first locally assembled diesel passenger van, WTL Hiace WTL Automobiles Managing Director Indika Sampath Merenchige said.

The parts for the van are imported from China.

this is funny. parts are from china, but its called HiAce !!!

another piece of junk from china.

WTL is Wasana Trating Co. LTD. So mostly the quality would be the same quality as their existing vehicles. :angry-smiley-048:

And also I've seen a Ambulance marked as MICRO, a diesel van. It got the same look like Toyota Hiace Dolphin Van. I think they first issue these van to Govt institiues to check. Any one have any idea abt this Micro Van?

Today I went in search for some locally assembled vans. First went to Wasana Trading outlet in Narahenpita. The place was closed down, but a company person there gave me the number of their head office. Called them and asked whether they sell locally assembled Buddy vans. The person on the other side told me that they assemble only one type of van and that is a Hiace (Dolphin) type Full option Diesel van and also added that it is priced at Rs. 3.52 Million.

Then I visited the Micro showroom in Borella. While parking my car there I noticed a sparkling new Hiace (high roof -Dolphin) van outside their showroom. First I looked at one of its tyres and it bore a Chinese name, and later when I was walking towards the showroom I noticed the Micro Lion badge on the van's front panel. After discussing about the Micro MPV Junior III (Hafei Minz) with the sales officer there, finally I asked about that 'Hiace' van. He told me that it is a Diesel luxury van priced at Rs. 6.625 Million. In disbilef i asked whether it is locally assembled and he answererd 'Yes'.

I did not go on to tell him about Wasana's 3.5 M van, because that might have started a heated argument.

However I think is that either of the aforesaid figures is wrong.

Further in my opinion, there won't be any takers for such HiAce (Dolphin) clones even at Rs. 3 Million, because for that price there are better quality Japanese ones in the Second hand market.

Edited by samishka

just curious, how much does a brand new diesel hi-ace go for? since the dolphin isnt in production anymore, maybe the last few japanese dolphins....

brandnew means the new type hiace (The latest model)? there was a blue colour hi-roof one in a car sale in kirulapone which was 11 million (110 laks) !!!! that was top of the line version with reverse camera, coolbox, etc. as i heard the basic model from agents will cost around 6.5 mil.

the dolphin model, a unreg super GL goes around 4million.

the only difference is japs are re-conditioned and others brand new.

But yet shouldn't the prices be far more lesser since the 300-400% import duty and taxes on imports don't apply to locally assembled ones? I am not alone for thinking the prices of the Rextons were too high even being locally assembled.

micro is the choice of vehicle supplier for the gov't. :)

And part of the "Holdings" group. So they run a monopoly just as in a dictatorship.... However I had a chat with Dr. Lawrence the chairman of Micro cars a longtime back before the rulers put their hands into it. They don't get a 100% tax break. They get about 40% off of the original 400% duty on diesel cars. If the Rexton was to be brought down brand new it will cost 14mil with tax. Locally assembled market price was 7.5 mil. Seemed logical back then. I don't know what the price are now.

Edited by madmax

The Micro van is being advertised in the Motor Magazine as the MPV J High Roof with a 2.5L Direct Injection Turbo Diesel and The images are shamelessly bad Photoshop chops of a Toyota van with a micro badge and branding on it.

Safety features are as comprehensive as front seatbelts and a fire extinguisher as standard.. :P While luxuries span to manual front mirrors and intermittent rear wipers.... Yes, this is what has been advertised...

And part of the "Holdings" group. So they run a monopoly just as in a dictatorship.... However I had a chat with Dr. Lawrence the chairman of Micro cars a longtime back before the rulers put their hands into it. They don't get a 100% tax break. They get about 40% off of the original 400% duty on diesel cars. If the Rexton was to be brought down brand new it will cost 14mil with tax. Locally assembled market price was 7.5 mil. Seemed logical back then. I don't know what the price are now.

madmax are you saying they pay 360% tax? my understanding is they pay 40% period. But the catch is inorder to be qualified for the 40%, 30% of the whole vehicle should be assembled using locally made products/accessories. it is this clause that is keeping other investors from forming a similar operation. but the rumor(reality) is this 30% local value addition is not adhered by micro.

madmax are you saying they pay 360% tax? my understanding is they pay 40% period. But the catch is inorder to be qualified for the 40%, 30% of the whole vehicle should be assembled using locally made products/accessories. it is this clause that is keeping other investors from forming a similar operation. but the rumor(reality) is this 30% local value addition is not adhered by micro.

To all list members,

My Experience in Chinese build Vehicle.

I purchased a Chana Gasoline 1300cc Wan from M/s, "Wasana" Trades Walisara about 3 years ago new 11 with seats registered as Duel purpose for Rupees: 1.35M.

As I wanted to try out a Chinese build Vehicle cost was very cheap comparing to Japanese same class Vehicle.

The Vehicle I chose was a white color one which had on mileage meter 780 Kms.

I think this vehicle was used as a demonstration Vehicle in Srilanka. more than one year ago imported at the time I purchased.

First of all there was few problems on the Vehicle which I noticed although it was new. I did not care for those as I my self attended for all that.

I in my life had used Vehicles Made in UK, USA Germany France and Czechoslovakia.

Longest used was a (SKODA) CN seris from 1960 to 1980. Which I did more 300000 Miles all over the country.

Thereafter all Japanese Vehicles as free imports was allowed.

Chana and Micro I examined before I went into Chinese new 11 with seats Duel purpose for 1.35M.

Micro van was a smaller van and it was little cheaper than Chinese Van.

Chana had more seating arrangement (Space) longer Vehicle and the original Suzuki Gypsy Engine made in China. Fitted in with EFI. Bosch ECU and same censers. Chinese build electrical units Alternator Starter motor Wiper motor.Duel AC unit.

No power steering.

Few changes were done to the van as I wanted to use same as a passenger van 6Ply Tires to 4 Ply Tires. Front suspension Coil spring to a smaller diameter one and removed two helper springs from the rear both sides as this was a double cab GVW of 1000KG's converted to a Passenger van in China removed one rear seat to be a 8 seat's. For more leg space.

Alternator burnt off at 14000KM I changed with Japanese build 80 Amps Alternator with a Electric magnetic regulator

I never went for service to their old work shop as they did not have experienced workers to handle aftermarket service.

All in time regular services were done by me personalty.

At 25000 Km I had a small Accident which motor cyclist hitting on driving side and Vehicle was put into their new work shop Service center at Negambo road Walisara. Which they did a good tinkering paint job but I was billed for a new Light control switch they had fitted old working switch later they changed when I brought to their authorities notice.

This job was not done as promised in time.This is the normal practice in Srilanka.

More than 15 days as agreed. I and my agents had to visit the Walisara Garage more than 15 times to expedite work.

After that I developed a Radiator block and brake binding in front Disk brakes only. This caused engine boiling and had to change Engine head gasket, Four (4) Engine head Valves o the center Cylinders. Suzuki Gypsy Gasoline Jeep engine parts are same and cost was cheaper than Chinese parts.

I think this was due to not using the Vehicle for more than 45 days thereby Radiator water got clogged.

Entire brake system was cleaned with the The tandem master cylinder unit in rear was removed and modified to use without same as there was no parts for same.

Front line which take brake fluid back was removed totally. Front brake cylinders was given direct supply from the Brake master cylinder.

Problem on the front brakes due to faulty valves in the in the tandem master cylinder unit fixed rear of the Vehicle.

After the above said repairs for last Six months I use without any problem. now done more than 30000 Km's.

Above is my Experience with Chinese build Vehicle. I only want to share same with other members.

Please pardon me for writing long detail replies to the list.

Regards,

Wijesinghe.

Thanks Ferrari...

If a jap van is 4mil, how does micro plan to sell their local van at 6mil+?

The Rs. 6 Million+ price quoted by that person at MicroCars might be for their Ambulance model. (with all the medical apparatus)

Otherwise that price is ridiculous for a locally assembled Chinese van, even if it is Diesel and Full-option.

(As I said earlier Wasana sells a similar passenger van at Rs. 3.52 Million)

Maybe it's 40% but that is 40% out of the 400% tax and not just 40% on the CIF value of the parts.

Edited by madmax

............ However I had a chat with Dr. Lawrence the chairman of Micro cars a longtime back before the rulers put their hands into it. They don't get a 100% tax break. They get about 40% off of the original 400% duty on diesel cars. If the Rexton was to be brought down brand new it will cost 14mil with tax. Locally assembled market price was 7.5 mil. Seemed logical back then. I don't know what the price are now.

The sales person whom I recently talked with told a similar story.

They don't get any tax break. By using CKD route the imported components attract much lower Duty.

Regarding the Rexton, my neighbour who used to own one told me that Rextons are no longer assembled (CKD units) here and now they are imported only as CBU units. (Only Kyron and Actyon being assembled here) This has brought Rextons' price back to Rs. 12 Million. That was 1 1/2 years ago

CKD = Completely Knocked Down

CBU = Completely Built Up

Edited by samishka

They don't get any tax break. By using CKD route the imported components attract much lower Duty.

ture. but they have the luxury of putting together all the bits and bobs and building a complete vehicle that is accepted by the RMV without any having to pay any other extra taxes/levys.

the way i see it Micro is nothing but a legalized cut and but job with barandnew parts. these sales people are simply trying to justify the unreasonably high price tag.

the way i see it Micro is nothing but a legalized cut and but job with barandnew parts. these sales people are simply trying to justify the unreasonably high price tag.

It's not 'cut' and its not 'bud'. For it to be a 'cut' the car has to be taken apart at one point and then put together 'bud'. That never happens with a new car.

If what you're saying is true - any brand new car would be a cut & bud because it has to be assembled at one point.

It's not 'cut' and its not 'bud'. For it to be a 'cut' the car has to be taken apart at one point and then put together 'bud'. That never happens with a new car.

If what you're saying is true - any brand new car would be a cut & bud because it has to be assembled at one point.

sorry my bad. poor selection of words.

Regarding the Rexton, my neighbour who used to own one told me that Rextons are no longer assembled (CKD units) here and now they are imported only as CBU units. (Only Kyron and Actyon being assembled here) This has brought Rextons' price back to Rs. 12 Million. That was 1 1/2 years ago

CKD = Completely Knocked Down

CBU = Completely Built Up

A friend of mine told me that they stopped assembling Rexton Jeeps, because the Govt banned assembling luxury diesel vehicles which is over 2000 CC, thanks to Mr. Champika Ranawaa . Rexton is 2700 C.

• 11 months later...

how can i identify jesslo modified van

'wickrama'

It is very difficult to identify modified the type you are referring to as they were done in Srilanka.I have seen them doing few years ago in a well equipped work shop even the welded joints unless you scrape and examine cannot notice. All metal body joints sealed work done to original way.I don't think any more are done in Srilanka

I think they have a different Chassis number not sure.

Sylvi Wijesinghe