• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Cefiro Uncovered

isurujosh

After hunting for cefiro's for weeks i have come up with the following reasons as to why cefiro's have a lower market value than other contemporary cars.

1) the A33 singapore imports have a fastly deteriorating interior. i checked out a '99 specimen today and my god! interior looks quite horrible. i think a person of the caliber who'd go for a cefiro would be very concerned about interior. this generally brings down the value of cefiro's and even the jap models without this problem tend to take a hit on the price becuase of it.

2) well it's not a "Toyota". Toyota markII is not a lot better than a proper jap cefiro(ok i know singapore imports are crap but jap ones are cool). but somehow people think that markII is lot more up market and pay sometimes up to twice the price on a markII simply becuase of that perception. come to think of it, a nice jap cefiro will pamper you lot more than an allion and you will have 2 million balance in the bank that will pay you interest to pump as much extra petrol. but people don't want to calculate the true "total cost of ownership" and make a decision thereon. that is called market perception and i don't blame anyone for that, "it's people's choice".

3) well it's not a Mercedes, BMW or an Audi. it cannot bring the same amount of social status or driving pleasure as do these established brands in upmarket. cefiro do not realistically belong to the same league and there's nothing wrong about it.

4) the general inconsistent fuel consumption of nissans. i have seen so many honest people who says their nissan fb15 (automatic transmission) does 9km/l in traffic and i also have seen so many honest people who says their nissan fb15 (automatic transmission) does only 7km/l in traffic. i my self have used a 1996 nissan pulsar with 1.5L engine that did only 6-7 km/l in traffic but i also have seen people prove to me that their's do 9km/l which is not bad at all. i think no party was lieing. there is something about nissans that offer inconsistent fuel consumptions and i don't attribute that to driving behaviors alone, it's something to do with cars for sure. the same is true for cefiro's. whereas some do 7km/l some other do only 5.5km/l, both kinds being identical on paper.

5) there are so many in the market and quite a few are these notorious singapore imports that ruin the general perception and price of the vehicle. besides so many coming to the market every week generally ruins the market for any upmaket car.

bdw today i found in a manual 2L A33(jap specimen), quite a rare kind, but the bugger is demanding too much considering the troubles (hidden though) that it has. if any of you are interested, it's out there in the market but beware of it's hidden troubles and do a full diagnostic check b4 buying. i am obviously not going for it and that is why i spill the beans :ninja:

in conclusion i think nissan cefiro jap models are the best value for money luxury cars out there.

Edited by isurujosh
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

After 400km+ I decided to refill my tank full and do the nubers. My car is Nissan Cefiro A32, with automatic transmission.

408.3 Kms

54.63 Liters

7.47 Km/L

Fuel Type: IOC Extra Premium Petrol. (Petrol shed dude told me that it is 92 Octance, though I doubt it is. Anyway it's only 4 bucks more than usual.)

Running Conditions: Almost entirely rush hour traffic with my self and wife driving with normal driving habits.

Edited by isurujosh

After 400km+ I decided to refill my tank full and do the nubers. My car is Nissan Cefiro A32, with automatic transmission.

408.3 Kms

54.63 Liters

7.47 Km/L

Fuel Type: IOC Extra Premium Petrol. (Petrol shed dude told me that it is 92 Octance, though I doubt it is. Anyway it's only 4 bucks more than usual.)

Running Conditions: Almost entirely rush hour traffic with my self and wife driving with normal driving habits.

I would say these are good figures..

I would say these are good figures..

I am extremely happy. Before I got the car I went to A*W and got a full diagnosis report and made sure everything was right in the sensor department. No sooner I got the car I did a throttle body cleanup and an injector clean up. I also had to replace an ignition coil (bit pricey but said to be a big determinant of fuel consumption in a cefiro). I guess all the good work paid off. My cefiro (A32) along with pradfred's (A33) is the only automatic ones that i know that reach 7.5 Km/L in rush hour traffic. I don't know any more A32s but I know quite a few A33s that do only 5.5 Km/L. This again proves the point that Nissans have highly unpredictable fuel consumptions.

My cefiro (A32) along with pradfred's (A33) is the only automatic ones that i know that reach 7.5 Km/L in rush hour traffic. I don't know any more A32s but I know quite a few A33s that do only 5.5 Km/L. This again proves the point that Nissans have highly unpredictable fuel consumptions.

On the fuel figures - the type of driving also matters mate. My driver when he is given the car can only get 6 as he is a "Brake Master ".

This last week I had the opportunity to take a few pals who had never been in a Cefiro ....needless to say they were amazed at the comfort level:)

The people who have them find it very difficult to then switch to other vehicles ( speaking from experience ). Buy another car for handling / sports when you need that adrenaline rush, but when you wanna cruise......hmmm

Also most cars nowadays do 7- 10 in traffic conditions right? So might as well be comfortable while stuck in traffic lol.

I think people are cottoning on to the fact that Cefiros are good cars as not many for sale nowadays...........

On the fuel figures - the type of driving also matters mate. My driver when he is given the car can only get 6 as he is a "Brake Master ".

This last week I had the opportunity to take a few pals who had never been in a Cefiro ....needless to say they were amazed at the comfort level:)

The people who have them find it very difficult to then switch to other vehicles ( speaking from experience ). Buy another car for handling / sports when you need that adrenaline rush, but when you wanna cruise......hmmm

Also most cars nowadays do 7- 10 in traffic conditions right? So might as well be comfortable while stuck in traffic lol.

I think people are cottoning on to the fact that Cefiros are good cars as not many for sale nowadays...........

i must concede that my normal driving style for the cefiro is conservative and i am sure if i brake a lot then fuel consumtion will be quite less as well. anyway, as i always say, cefiros beg to be driven smoothly.

i fully agree with you on the fact that once you're used to riding in a cefiro there is no breaking away from that league.

as for the cefiro market, i think resale is still quite difficult with a cefiro. the manual gold color cefiro A33 has been there for weeks and there is an example in a dehiwala car sale that's been there for months.

if i compare with my diesel van (townace lotto model) i only have to spend about 5,000LKR extra per month on fuel with the cefiro. this is after running daily to office by car, 40km everyday. for 5,000LKR i get a big imporvement in quality of life with the cefiro. it is wonderful that sri lankans buy cars thinking only about those moments spent in petrol sheds not the moments riding in the car, that leaves the prices of these wonderful machines affordable.

Edited by isurujosh

• 3 months later...

reviving an old thread...

like everyone else in the country...have been thinking of upgrading!

was checking up on Cefiros on AL classifieds and couldn't find a single manual!

Don't really know much of the car... are manual Cefiros rare in SL????

Don't think i can live with an auto box so whatever the car it is...i gotta have a manual one :P

reviving an old thread...

like everyone else in the country...have been thinking of upgrading!

was checking up on Cefiros on AL classifieds and couldn't find a single manual!

Don't think i can live with an auto box so whatever the car it is...i gotta have a manual one :P

Given up on the double cab idea? Saw a 250- LN166 on the site today for 2.8 mill, which i think is pretty good value if its on good shape.

Manual cefiros generally come in sporty(ish) "Stouring" trim, with side skirts and spoiler as well as a slightly different grille.

Personally speaking if you're going the cefiro route the automatic is the one to get since the USP of the car is its comfy cruising ability!

Another Nissan option if you want to be a bit more different would be a Laurel. All the comfort of the cefiro plus rear wheel drive.

Given up on the double cab idea? Saw a 250- LN166 on the site today for 2.8 mill, which i think is pretty good value if its on good shape.

Manual cefiros generally come in sporty(ish) "Stouring" trim, with side skirts and spoiler as well as a slightly different grille.

Personally speaking if you're going the cefiro route the automatic is the one to get since the USP of the car is its comfy cruising ability!

Another Nissan option if you want to be a bit more different would be a Laurel. All the comfort of the cefiro plus rear wheel drive.

not really machang!

after driving VVTI's ford for a day...got even the missus to like it in terms of comfort, leg space etc etc... Good for my fishing stuff and the other outdoor stuff :D

but i'm kinda worried going for a diesel cos i don't really know much about them... Servicing cost being higher too is a concern cos i don't really benefit a lot from savings on fuel that normally people use to argue against the higher servicing costs...

I've been liking Cefiros mainly thanks to Pradfred but gotta say auto boxes are not something for me....comfy cruising or otherwise! I'm addicted to changing gears :P

not really machang!

after driving VVTI's ford for a day...got even the missus to like it in terms of comfort, leg space etc etc... Good for my fishing stuff and the other outdoor stuff :D

but i'm kinda worried going for a diesel cos i don't really know much about them... Servicing cost being higher too is a concern cos i don't really benefit a lot from savings on fuel that normally people use to argue against the higher servicing costs...

I've been liking Cefiros mainly thanks to Pradfred but gotta say auto boxes are not something for me....comfy cruising or otherwise! I'm addicted to changing gears :P

Well that IS a bit of a conundrum.... Diesels (especially the ones made by toyota that dont have common rail) arent exactly rocket science though, there isnt a hell of a lot of extra expense as long as the basics are done right. So dont give up on the idea entirely.

Manual Cefiro is an option i guess, but will need to be hunted down...

@ripper: i assume you are hunting for a A33 manual as the A32 manual ones are plentiful.

i can confirm to you that there are quite a few manual A33 cefiros available in SL. when i was hunting for a cefiro my other closest choice was a manula gold color JDM A33 cefiro. the only reason why i decided against that one is the rather unmatchable value for money i got with my A32. nevertheless the owner of the manual A33 told me that he was aware of quite a few other manual A33s too.

Gotta Lady Project Manager driving a manual A33 at MIT :) Don't give up looking

@ripper: i assume you are hunting for a A33 manual as the A32 manual ones are plentiful.

i can confirm to you that there are quite a few manual A33 cefiros available in SL. when i was hunting for a cefiro my other closest choice was a manula gold color JDM A33 cefiro. the only reason why i decided against that one is the rather unmatchable value for money i got with my A32. nevertheless the owner of the manual A33 told me that he was aware of quite a few other manual A33s too.

not hunting at the moment...just looking at available options...

I'd love a mazda 3 but that's beyond budget right now...

so i've kinda narrowed it down to a ViRS, 323 or A33

Double cab too is an option but a few friends who own them complain of parking hassle in the city.

Double cab too is an option but a few friends who own them complain of parking hassle in the city.

you should only consider 323 if price is a concern. what is ur budget?

Ditto that, Twirling an LN106 Hilux around the underground carpark at Crescat especially is my definition of hell!

As to the car choices, how about a Carina GT? a manual one will be an interesting drive and there's one on AL right now. The 323 and A33 are both good ideas as well, although maintaining them will be less of a breeze than the AE100 has been obviously.

Im not going to comment on the ViRs :P

Machang if its only the parking youre worried about, then make a little effort and get to work a little earlier :P

All the other benefits make that problem minute in my opinion.

I'd have gone for one a long while back if the office let me *sigh* :(

you should only consider 323 if price is a concern. what is ur budget?

Isuru why do you say that?....the 323 is a bloody good car overall. OK I know I'm a bit biased on this

but I think there are loads of people who are extremely happy with their 323's.

Looks, comfort, fuel efficiency, good maintenance costs etc etc..........plus if you get a 1600 GLX manual its just what Ripper wants

I'd say it was better than a ViRS...

I must hastily add, that this is just an opinion and I dont want to start anyone off about Hondas. :D

Machang if its only the parking youre worried about, then make a little effort and get to work a little earlier :P

It isnt only office parking machan, parking lots at any place where a lot of people go to (supermarkets, shopping centres etc) are getting increasingly packed now and you do sometimes wish that you have a smaller and more nimble vehicle when navigating through those.

Isuru why do you say that?....the 323 is a bloody good car overall. OK I know I'm a bit biased on this

but I think there are loads of people who are extremely happy with their 323's.

Looks, comfort, fuel efficiency, good maintenance costs etc etc..........plus if you get a 1600 GLX manual its just what Ripper wants

I must hastily add, that this is just an opinion and I dont want to start anyone off about Hondas. :D

Why do you think VVti and I said we werent gonna comment? ;)

I too agree that a 323 would be the best bet for Ripper. They are literally bullet proof cars and Ripper will be a happy camper... besides one more able bodied boozer for the MFOCrs!!! :action-smiley-060:

Edited by VVTi

'SHAI' date='Jun 23 2010, 12:38 PM'

In that case...VVTI's Ford can be an option :P

providing i get a good deal "P

Meow! :P