• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Chevy Camaro In Sl

Z.u.L

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Fellas,

Just to clear up any further speculation ;)

Rhamzi is the bloke with the STi...and he's pals with the owner of the Camaro- he got the keys to go for a spin (lucky bugger!)- while he doesn't own the Camaro, he's got a red porsche sitting in his garage (double lucky!).

Whether the Camaro is here to stay or not, i have no idea...

I can't believe you guys are so excited about it. It's just got a v6 engine with 300 bhp and typical American build quality. The prices start at $22k brand new from the dealership. Just for comparison a 2003/2004 M3 is going for around the same price. Doesn't that say something about the car? I wouldn't be surprised if it has leaf spring suspension in the back underneath that 2010 body.

Edited by madmax

LoL... 2 of my friends have this exact version in the states and it really is a piece of american crap... nice to look at but nothing more... the only thing the car has going for it here in Sri lanka is the exclusivity factor...beyond that its quite a useless boat!

LoL... 2 of my friends have this exact version in the states and it really is a piece of american crap... nice to look at but nothing more... the only thing the car has going for it here in Sri lanka is the exclusivity factor...beyond that its quite a useless boat!

Exactly.

I can't believe you guys are so excited about it. It's just got a v6 engine with 300 bhp and typical American build quality. The prices start at $22k brand new from the dealership. Just for comparison a 2003/2004 M3 is going for around the same price. Doesn't that say something about the car? I wouldn't be surprised if it has leaf spring suspension in the back underneath that 2010 body.

Yes it's only because of its rarity in Sri Lanka.. well it still only 1 of it's kind in the country.. that is enough reason to talk about :)

I think this is the V8. I got some pics by mail showing the engine bay, I'll send it tomorrow. Tho I'll agree on the rest. Still, it does LOOK good.

Soooo, Andy. Long time no see. What about this car meet you mentioned? :)

neat .. but 26,000,000 !!!??? That's like 7.65 times the cost over here!!! DAMN!!! I like it though, it's a much better handling car than the old one 'cos of the new 4 wheel independent suspension layout and somewhat better than the old quality and fit/finish, not light years ahead but getting there...

Edited by MeanGreenZ28

+1

For the record though as mentioned by meanGreenZ28 it does have all wheel independent suspension with a multi-link set up at the back and MacPherson struts and A-arm's up front.

Edited by Kavvz

You aren't being entirely fair here max, As someone else has also pointed out the Camaro now does have 4 wheel independent suspension and is supposed to handle pretty decently for it's size. Even a few UK mags were quite surprised and semi impressed by it.

American cars are nowhere near the same league as euros of course, but they do have their own appeal: looking sharp, going fast in a straight line and also (I'd imagine) being cheap to maintain apart from the fuel costs if you live in america. Have you tried driving a v8 camaro yet? Im guessing you should attempt it. A guy down here who has quite a few BMs and the like had gotten a test drive of this thing and was apparently pretty impressed, though obviously not with the asking price!

The new Camaro definitely is a lot better than the old ones supposedly...and it's a good looking car FROM THE OUTSIDE. Even from those FB pics..the interior looks so, so cheap! They have tried to make it better with the suspension upgrades etc, but bottom line it is a very, very heavy car..so it's not going to compete very well with the Euros on the twisties.

Decently fast in a straight line, sounds good, looks good, (but honestly a bit too flashy for my liking..especially in this yellow), and cheap. That's about it (you can take away the last point for SL..and probably the first too as there really aren't that many safe, straight roads out there). LKR26 Million is waayyy too much for something like that though, you'd seriously have to be on something or have too much money for your own good to buy one! But wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone actually does pay that much for it.

Having said that..there is quite a lot of hype about the new Mustang with the 5.0 V8 coming back these days though. More of the same?

You aren't being entirely fair here max, As someone else has also pointed out the Camaro now does have 4 wheel independent suspension and is supposed to handle pretty decently for it's size. Even a few UK mags were quite surprised and semi impressed by it.

I was just kidding about the suspension. Yes these cars are cheap to maintain but, they tend to wear faster. They would need there engines and transmissions rebuilt when all you need on a contemporary Euro car is just another oil change. The projected lifestyle of an American car is 5 years (unless they become a classic later on) but the Euro cars are made for a lifetime. That's the main reason for the difference in price and quality.

If I get an American muscle car I would pick the Dodge Challenger SRT over the Camaro. The Challenger looks meaner.

There's a Chevy dealership just around the corner. And I saw at least 3 Camaros there. A test drive as you suggest would be interesting....

Edited by madmax

I was just kidding about the suspension. Yes these cars are cheap to maintain but, they tend to wear faster. They would need there engines and transmissions rebuilt when all you need on a contemporary Euro car is just another oil change. The projected lifestyle of an American car is 5 years (unless they become a classic later on) but the Euro cars are made for a lifetime. That's the main reason for the difference in price and quality.

If I get an American muscle car I would pick the Dodge Challenger SRT over the Camaro. The Challenger looks meaner.

There's a Chevy dealership just around the corner. And I saw at least 3 Camaros there. A test drive as you suggest would be interesting....

I'm gonna correct you on that maintenance issue there. I think you can get much much more life out of an american powertrain than a euro powertrain ... well except for the crappy V6's lol. Fact is people who buy a cheaper car tend to be exactly that, cheap ... they will run the car to the ground due to lack of care while people who usually can afford a euro car tend to keep it well maintined; most of the time paying crazy amounts at the dealers 'cos everything is electronic with a billion sensors all triggering everything. My buddy fianlly gave up on his Audi A4 'cos every time he'd fix something it popped up another issue and it was a couple hundred every time he vsited the dealer. A MAF code would throw off the ABS system? yes, it happened and after pouring thousands into it, he traded it in for an Acura Edited by MeanGreenZ28

I'm gonna correct you on that maintenance issue there. I think you can get much much more life out of an american powertrain than a euro powertrain ... well except for the crappy V6's lol.

No disrespect, but aren't they all mostly crappy V6's with a few gems in the rough here and there? I rent a lot and the only American car that I've liked so far is the New CTS. The rest, the Lincons, the Crown vic's, the Mustangs, the Monte Carlo's, the Sebrings, the Avengers, the Malibu's, the what have you; have all been dull and uninspiring. I for one am relieved that the rental companies are now starting to offer Euro's and Japanese models.

Edited by Kavvz

No disrespect, but aren't they all mostly crappy V6's with a few gems in the rough here and there? I rent a lot and the only American car that I've liked so far is the New CTS. The rest, the Lincons, the Crown vic's, the Mustangs, the Monte Carlo's, the Sebrings, the Avengers, the Malibu's, the what have you; have all been dull and uninspiring. I for one am relieved that the rental companies are now starting to offer Euro's and Japanese models.
that's 'cos the V6 range is still the same shit they designed back in the 80's lol .... yeah, they really need to get their head out of their ass. The new CTV is AWESOME!!!!