• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Smart Cab

NPP

This thread was a discussion on the merits of extented cab pickups and now we seem to be discussing government policies and world gas prices, Bit OT yes?

Should we not be aware of why the prices of a standard hilux is above 8 million and why a luxury version of a king cab is 3.5 million? I do not see learning about this complicated and ridiculous tax structure in par with vehicles not too much OT compared to who owns the Bumblebee and if we live in a banana republic or not. Now let us get back on the topic of king-cabs. After all its a shame today none of us can afford a proper 4 door double cab fresh off the boat like it used to be sometime back. And you my friend now know why we cant and why we are talking about smart cabs instead.

And xxx thanks for the added info.

My understanding is that there is no one who owns a king-cab on this forum.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that there is no one who owns a king-cab on this forum.

Really?? :blink: I find that hard to believe.. given there are so many on the road these days. I'm sure someone with first hand experience will post up soon..

Personally, I'd be very keen to have a look at the Navara 4x4 King Cab if and when it ever comes on sale..

As for the Vigos, while it's hard to fault the build quality, the Thai sense of style (interior/accessories etc.) on some of them, leaves a lot to be desired <_< did I mention how common they are? :rolleyes:

You know, I must ask... do you get paid for this? because as of oh, I dont know, the last year or so you only ever make posts that have some kind of political finger pointing in them. What may I ask is the point?

This thread was a discussion on the merits of extented cab pickups and now we seem to be discussing government policies and world gas prices, Bit OT yes?

i feel that it was not XXX that went OT.....but it was u....

all xxx did was to explain a bit facts to the others

Salutations and a Happy New Year. When I returned from my extended sojourn from the land of the suddas some days ago, I found a mate in the office had bought a Toyota Smart Cab. All I can say is, the thing is huge. It barely fits in his parking slot, it's the tallest thing in the parking lot and I always picture it wearing a pair of bull's horns (think Texas, Oil and large Cadillac). It is an impressive vehicle, the interior and ride puts more than a few Saloon cars to shame, and it will reach 140 effortlessly. Of course the down side is that, it has all the decorative accessories as well, complete with the chopstick antennas, useless roof adornments, debadged chrome grill and and chrome lamp covers. It's manual, and of the 3 litre variety and cost a total sum of 4.7 million. I want one.

Went to the Garage recently and was shocked to a brand new one in stripped down of all accessories and seats, being prepared to be converted into a Double Cab.... :ninja:

srsly? Is a new shell involved, or will the existing one be modified?

Salutations and a Happy New Year. When I returned from my extended sojourn from the land of the suddas some days ago, I found a mate in the office had bought a Toyota Smart Cab. All I can say is, the thing is huge. It barely fits in his parking slot, it's the tallest thing in the parking lot and I always picture it wearing a pair of bull's horns (think Texas, Oil and large Cadillac). It is an impressive vehicle, the interior and ride puts more than a few Saloon cars to shame, and it will reach 140 effortlessly. Of course the down side is that, it has all the decorative accessories as well, complete with the chopstick antennas, useless roof adornments, debadged chrome grill and and chrome lamp covers. It's manual, and of the 3 litre variety and cost a total sum of 4.7 million. I want one.

What's the fuel efficiency like?

• 3 weeks later...
I heard that many of the lorry permit restrictions on these pickups have been lifted. Given the situation in the country improving. I really hope duty is not increased as i wanna buy one end of this year!

I hear u can also drive these around with dual purpose licences.

Be careful when you drive these with Dual Purpose licenses. One of our office vans is registered as a LA and the driver got slammed with a fine for driving with a DP and the company also got hit a with a fine for letting an ;unlicensed' person drive the vehicle. This was last month.

If that is the case, not all cops are aware.

Be careful when you drive these with Dual Purpose licenses. One of our office vans is registered as a LA and the driver got slammed with a fine for driving with a DP and the company also got hit a with a fine for letting an ;unlicensed' person drive the vehicle. This was last month.

If that is the case, not all cops are aware.

Long time (around 25 years) ago there was no dual-purpose category. All vans and double cabs were registered as Light Trucks. In the Driving Licence (before the introduction of the plastic card) there was a category called "Vehicles with a kerb weight below xx cwt" (Can't remember the value and whether it was the Tare weight).

Anyway that was called the "Light vehicles (Sehellu vaahana) licence" and could be obtained after learning to drive a car.

In 1985 my uncle who possessed that type of licence bought a re-con Delica (38 Sri) and drove it without any "legal" problems. However when his son/my cousin got his C, C1 category licence and drove the same Delica van, he was warned by a policeman that this van is registered as a Lorry/Light truck and he is not eligible to drive it. I wonder whether my uncle also suddenly became ineligible to drive his van after changing his "Light vehicles licence BOOK" into the "C,C1 licence CARD".

With the ridiculous increase of Import duty on Dual-purpose vehicles, nowadays it can be seen that some vehicles which earlier fell under dual purpose category are now imported and registered under a different category.

Hope you all have seen those Tempo (now Force) Three-Wheelers.

In 1998 (just before the duty hike) these were introduced by (now defunct ?) Lakshmans Motor Company.

The vehicle though externally a Three-wheeler, internally it was similar to a van.

The crudely built driver compartment consisted of a single seat and a steering wheel mounted on the right hand side.

Throttle, brake and clutch all were foot operated and there was a floor mounted gear lever.

I remember seeing only a handful of them plying on our roads.

They were registered as Dual purpose vehicles (252- Series).

This vehicle was not a success since it was sold at Rs. 3 lakhs in a time when one could buy a 5 year old un-reg. re-con. Toyota Dolphin for Rs. 6 lakhs.

When Abans re-launched this same vehicle in 2005/06 they were registered as Three-wheelers.(Q-series) They may have done that to price it competitively because Three-wheelers fall into a much lower duty bracket.

However (after being registered as a Three-wheeler), does it mean that only a person with a Three-wheeler licence (obtained after learning to drive a Three-wheeler with a handlebar) is eligible to drive it? If so, that sounds absurd.

Edited by samishka

Speaking of Smart Cabs, I just saw a Nissan Navara King Cab go past my office. Looked nice with rear clear lamps, much better looking than the ugly Vigos these people bring down with all the chrome.

So this would be the first Nissan Navara to reach our shores?

Speaking of Smart Cabs, I just saw a Nissan Navara King Cab go past my office. Looked nice with rear clear lamps, much better looking than the ugly Vigos these people bring down with all the chrome.

So this would be the first Nissan Navara to reach our shores?

Don't quite a few of the car sales have them now? Was it the 4x4 Navara that you saw? If so, that would be the first I've heard of.. only ever seen the rwd/auto's on sale.

Don't quite a few of the car sales have them now? Was it the 4x4 Navara that you saw? If so, that would be the first I've heard of.. only ever seen the rwd/auto's on sale.

There are quite a few Toyota Vigo's on the road and in car sales, but this is the first time I'm seeing a Navara in Sri Lanka.

Vigos are ugly. Dont know why so many people go for them! There was a Nissan at a car sale at Mount. US C*R SALE I think.. on Galle Rd. Looked nice... or maybe it was the difference..

The white one. Already has a "sold" sticker on it. I had a look last weekend.

mchan, u r spot on..recently i spoke to one guy who brings dwn a lot of smart cabs n plus the nevaras regarding this license issue..though they get L plate numbers (theoretically meaning Motor Lorry category, which even requires u to have a fitness certificate to license every yr), apparently u cn drive them with C,C1 (dual purpose vehicle license) cos they are lighter weight than most of the lorries..he also said that this was stated in a gazette which he said he'll fax me..(my dad owns a single cab mahindra)..i was also fined once but never knew of this issue until i met him last sunday at the races..since these kingcabs are light weight compared to conventional lorries u cn indeed drive ur ride with a C,C1..but not a lot of ppl know it though..thats how all these car sales guys found a mistake in the system and decided to bring as many as possible before giving time for the government to change the taxes etc..(mind u., lorries get taxed a very lil compared to DPV..thats why u see a massive diff in price btn the normal hilux and the king kab which comes under 2 different categories of taxation..)

hope this helps..plus nevara is way better looking than the vigos..

cheers

• 1 month later...
Well now there's one. I bought a Navara 2x4 for 3.75mn :)

so whats it like??

First hand verdict & review pls :)

The Diesel - Auto combo is rather tempting...

Heard from Dhammika Motors that they're getting the Navara 4x4's next week for 3.95 , but unsure if its Auto :unsure:

so whats it like??

First hand verdict & review pls :)

The Diesel - Auto combo is rather tempting...

Heard from Dhammika Motors that they're getting the Navara 4x4's next week for 3.95 , but unsure if its Auto :unsure:

Machang it must be better to drive than the others. Its classed the best by UK auto journalists.

2.5l engine with 170bhp should be good enough even in auto form. Its a 5 speed auto aint it?

I was wondering why they dont bring the 4x4 version, so at last they are bringing it down.

I saw the Mitsubishi L200 smart cab and it looks kinda odd. don't think it has the same room as the others in the back.