• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Slt Adsl Painfullly Slow

zeem35

will try that and see...but then again...their hsdpa too is very slow...

youtube vids don't load for hours...

even AL site takes while to loadup...

i'll be ditching that wretched connection very soon... possible wrap it with some dog poop and post it to dialog :D

are you using an unlimited connection? those tend to suck big time on both dialog and airtel. airtel puts (at least, used to some months ago) all unlimited users on one APN and therefore it tends to be slow. I tested a limited package for a few days and it was much better than the unlimited.

I guess it is a similar story with Dialog.

Currently using data limited packages from Mobitel and Dialog and they're both quite fast. about 150KB/s (i.e. 1.2mbps) if the source is good.

According to sources the unlimited 1mbps will be limited but 512 will function normally.

This happened when slt had a server crash due to high usage by 1mbps line and speeds dropped to dial up.Stupid idiots keep giving away peotv connections without upgrading their bandwidth or server capacities :angry-smiley-005:

http://www.slt.lk/broadband/package_f.html

Well this one says both are still unlimited. :rolleyes:

IMO - Mobitel's the way to go- coverage wise I've used it all over the place and never had a problem getting WCDMA signals. And you never feel any slowness when browsing. Only drawback in that it keeps getting disconnected on weekdays between 9 and 10PM or so..

Members,

Please note that I am not advocate to one service provider. All available Internet connections in Srilanka I have tried out. For my location this works best.

I give under the speed of Air tell HSDPA my location in Colombo 00300.

Last Result:

Download speed: 1.03Mbs (129kB/sec transfer rate)

Upload speed: 115kbs (14kB/sec transfer rate)

Thu Jan 6 07:56:33 GMT+0530 2011

Your IP address: 203.153.223.80

I have SLT Copper wire Land line ADSL Home package give the speed as under.

Last Result:

Download Speed: 543 kbps (67.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 204 kbps (25.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:33:52 AM

I do not have the other two dongles of Mobitel and the Dialog they are taken out by my assistants with their lap tops will give the test result later.

Wireless HSDPA speeds vary to location where you down load and some areas in Colombo I have had drop connectivity on all three providers which I use.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

• 2 months later...

To all you guys wondering if the "unlimited" clause still exists. It does not. I know this because I just applied for a new phone connection with ADSL recently (Dec 2010) and they do have a cap as the SLT sales rep explained clearly. I was happy to leave the horrible AirTel 3G connection behind so was not complaining. Can't remember exact cap but it was somewhere close to 10GB per month then you get charged per Kilobyte on the 512K down package, with the 'lite' package you get charged Rs.500 and they bump your speed upto 1000K down but the cap is very low, think it was 2GB per month and charge you per additional Kilobyte after that. My connection clocks about 55-60K.

To all you guys wondering if the "unlimited" clause still exists. It does not. I know this because I just applied for a new phone connection with ADSL recently (Dec 2010) and they do have a cap as the SLT sales rep explained clearly. I was happy to leave the horrible AirTel 3G connection behind so was not complaining. Can't remember exact cap but it was somewhere close to 10GB per month then you get charged per Kilobyte on the 512K down package, with the 'lite' package you get charged Rs.500 and they bump your speed upto 1000K down but the cap is very low, think it was 2GB per month and charge you per additional Kilobyte after that. My connection clocks about 55-60K.

So whats the point in switching to slt adsl if they also have a fair usage policy ?

Airtel offers 1.8mbps speeds and FUP of 10GB, slt also offers 10Gb for the same price but with only 512kbps !

I dont know about your bad experience with airtel but so far i have not gotten a single break down (this is customary in slt adsl) or slowdowns or even any reason to complain about !

They promised only 1.8mbps but i got a top speed of 508KBps speed from them, where as in slt you have to pray every morning that there wont be any disconnections or slowdowns.

• Like 1

So whats the point in switching to slt adsl if they also have a fair usage policy ?

Airtel offers 1.8mbps speeds and FUP of 10GB, slt also offers 10Gb for the same price but with only 512kbps !

I dont know about your bad experience with airtel but so far i have not gotten a single break down (this is customary in slt adsl) or slowdowns or even any reason to complain about !

They promised only 1.8mbps but i got a top speed of 508KBps speed from them, where as in slt you have to pray every morning that there wont be any disconnections or slowdowns.

'The Stig',

Re your post I did a speed test this is what I got At 10.00am SLT promises different speeds but they never provide same. Only solution is to complain to TRC.

Date 07/03/11 04:27:38

Speed Down 445.64 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )

Speed Up 73.70 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps )

Port 8095

Server speedtest2.thinkbroadband.com

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

508KB/s?? :o That's awesomely fast if you mean B, around 4Mbps right? Such speeds I've only seen in the limited 3.6Mbps connections.

Anyway, I'm moved to around Katugastota and signals are a bit hard to come by, I've always got one bar max but even then speeds aren't too bad until 6pm-12am. After 12, it's fast as usual and time for torrents, 200+KB/s :)

508KB/s?? :o That's awesomely fast if you mean B, around 4Mbps right? Such speeds I've only seen in the limited 3.6Mbps connections.

Anyway, I'm moved to around Katugastota and signals are a bit hard to come by, I've always got one bar max but even then speeds aren't too bad until 6pm-12am. After 12, it's fast as usual and time for torrents, 200+KB/s :)

Do you use prepaid or post paid? If I activate torrent with my Airtel connection I have to keep on disconnect and reconnect in every 5 mins.

The unlimited package is offered no more maybe,but for existing 512kbps connection customers its still unlimited.trust me I use way more than 10GB per month and so far theres no additional charges or cut offs.

The unlimited package is offered no more maybe,but for existing 512kbps connection customers its still unlimited.trust me I use way more than 10GB per month and so far theres no additional charges or cut offs.

Yes correct. I'm using the same.

Do you use prepaid or post paid? If I activate torrent with my Airtel connection I have to keep on disconnect and reconnect in every 5 mins.

Postpaid Impatience, the connecting problem is there only during very busy times and present only here not back home at any time. So what I do is put it to download it at around 10-12pm and set it to shut down the comp after finishing and sleep. Wake up in the morn and you have everything done and off nicely, come back in the eve and enjoy :)

i agree MasterDon iam a heavy user and so far no problems :)

Yes BLu3HaZe i do mean 508Kilo Bytes per second (not bits), so that would mean 508x8= 4064 kbps :)

Just to be clear guys i use a prepaid sim for big downloads ( reload 45/= and you get 1.5GB of data) this is when i got the 508 top speed, i also use a postpaid unlimited package for normal surfing (usually get around 370-400KBps on that)

And i have no problems at all with torrents either.

I did get a snapshot about a month ago, couldn't get one of the 508 speed though

airtelhsdpaspeed.png

Edited by The Stig

Yes BLu3HaZe i do mean 508Kilo Bytes per second (not bits), so that would mean 508x8= 4064 kbps :)

Just to be clear guys i use a prepaid sim for big downloads ( reload 45/= and you get 1.5GB of data) this is when i got the 508 top speed, i also use a postpaid unlimited package for normal surfing (usually get around 370-400KBps on that)

Aha, that's how you've hit such numbers, the prepaid speed is 3.6Mbps so considering mine goes upto 2Mbps, their limits aren't very accurate so 4 is quite possible. It all depends on the location you're in (signal strength) and the tower you're connected to and the APN (traffic in it) you're using. Have to check all these things before deciding on a wireless net conn. So in my area, there are too many prepaid/limited users but nearly no unlimited, so I get high speeds from mine. During day time the prepaid is nearly unusable in Dangolla/Peradeniya area, disconnects all the time. Now different story in Katugastota/Akurana area, it's other way around :(

Aha, that's how you've hit such numbers, the prepaid speed is 3.6Mbps so considering mine goes upto 2Mbps, their limits aren't very accurate so 4 is quite possible. It all depends on the location you're in (signal strength) and the tower you're connected to and the APN (traffic in it) you're using. Have to check all these things before deciding on a wireless net conn. So in my area, there are too many prepaid/limited users but nearly no unlimited, so I get high speeds from mine. During day time the prepaid is nearly unusable in Dangolla/Peradeniya area, disconnects all the time. Now different story in Katugastota/Akurana area, it's other way around :(

So if its the other way around in Katugastota doesnt it mean that its usable during day time ? :unsure:

Yeah machan i have a 7.2 dongle not a 3.6 so i guess thats also an advantage. But the thing is my postpaid connection only states 1.8mbps but i still get around 300KBps (300x8=2400kbps) speeds so i think its good value for money, specially since i get more than what i pay for :)

So if its the other way around in Katugastota doesnt it mean that its usable during day time ? :unsure:

Yeah machan i have a 7.2 dongle not a 3.6 so i guess thats also an advantage. But the thing is my postpaid connection only states 1.8mbps but i still get around 300KBps (300x8=2400kbps) speeds so i think its good value for money, specially since i get more than what i pay for :)

True, prepaid is but I don't want to keep switching the SIM all the time, these dongles are fragile things and break easily so want my postpaid to work properly at all times. But too many users in this area I think :(

Ah yes, can go to speeds beyond advertised, even I have a 7.2 and it's slightly faster in the same location with the same network than the other 3.6 we have for home use, maybe due to better signal capturing?

Average I get at night for the 1.8 conn is 200KB/s = 1.6Mbps but have hit a max of 370 or so, but true it's good value for money since I get charged only for the amount used too :) I use 10GB usually and it's 700Rs

• 2 months later...

Holly molly, The internet speed in Sri Lanka seems damn bloody slow. I have 7MB/s connection and seems pretty slow. But could see movies with streaming rather than downloading. This something sri lanka need to improve on.

My previous house had a fibre optic cable connection and I got 30MB/s. Fantastic.

Holly molly, The internet speed in Sri Lanka seems damn bloody slow. I have 7MB/s connection and seems pretty slow. But could see movies with streaming rather than downloading. This something sri lanka need to improve on.

My previous house had a fibre optic cable connection and I got 30MB/s. Fantastic.

you complaining about 7MB ? 512kbps user here :ninja:

• Like 1

I was just going through the forum as I am probably coming back to sri lanka for a job. Internet has become an essential part of life now. Watching movies, education DIY jobs, Music, Car mechanical problems, financial stuff, cooking recipes etc. Slow internet and the major set backs. My plans are, A good car and air conditioning.