• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Camera Out Of Focus

MkX

guys, I used a RebelXT with canon 35mm - 85mm AF lens. It was working properly and i sold it some time back to a studio guy. Now he is facing issue with focus. I just want to give him some help.

Seems the camera doesn't focus properly manual, however the motor works fine. What could be the possible couses for this? And where to repair, is metro politan does that and how about their charges?

Any body faced similar problems? Just check with him manual focus is working, so the problem is with auto focus.

AFAIK camera send the infrared signal for the focusing, not the lens.

thanks

MKX

Edited by MkX

guys, I used a RebelXT with canon 35mm - 85mm AF lens. It was working properly and i sold it some time back to a studio guy. Now he is facing issue with focus. I just want to give him some help.

Seems the camera doesn't focus properly manual, however the motor works fine. What could be the possible couses for this? And where to repair, is metro politan does that and how about their charges?

Any body faced similar problems? Just check with him manual focus is working, so the problem is with auto focus.

AFAIK camera send the infrared signal for the focusing, not the lens.

thanks

MKX

OK, as far as I can find out, Canon doesn't make a 35-85mm. The only one I have found is a Vivitar, but that is for Canon's old FD mount, not the EF mount which is the mount Canon has been using since the mid 80s (EF and EF-S). If it IS a FD mount lens, it will not work with a Rebel XT (Thats EF-S). Unless you have an adapter.

Unless, you are talking of the old Canon Film Rebel. Is this digital or film? THAT seems to have a 35-80mm.

Anyway, if he is a studio guy, he should have other lens to try out on the body and determine if its a lens issue or a body issue. Thats the first step.

OK, as far as I can find out, Canon doesn't make a 35-85mm. The only one I have found is a Vivitar, but that is for Canon's old FD mount, not the EF mount which is the mount Canon has been using since the mid 80s (EF and EF-S). If it IS a FD mount lens, it will not work with a Rebel XT (Thats EF-S). Unless you have an adapter.

Unless, you are talking of the old Canon Film Rebel. Is this digital or film? THAT seems to have a 35-80mm.

Anyway, if he is a studio guy, he should have other lens to try out on the body and determine if its a lens issue or a body issue. Thats the first step.

It is the stock lens came with the camera. I gave it after I got my new Rebel XS model.

Well he has been using film cameras all the time and this turned to be his first digital camera. He uses this camera for indoor use of the studio, so i doubt if he got another lens. I have the same stock lens in Rebel XS (don't wanna give it for testing :ninja: ) if i'm not mistaken.

its nice of you to offer to help the guy out even after selling it...but sometimes this can backfire on you with him claiming u sold him a bad lens or whatever.. but back to the problem:

Its most likely to be something with the AF motor..

But like peri mentioned, 35-85 doesnt sound like a usual focal range for a lens that you claim came with the body.

IMO, there's very little we can help you with with the information you've given... And if the new owner's a professional photographer, i'm sure he has some regular camera repair shop he goes to for his other equipment. So that might be a safer bet for him :)

It is the stock lens came with the camera. I gave it after I got my new Rebel XS model.

Well he has been using film cameras all the time and this turned to be his first digital camera. He uses this camera for indoor use of the studio, so i doubt if he got another lens. I have the same stock lens in Rebel XS (don't wanna give it for testing :ninja: ) if i'm not mistaken.

If he has a Canon camera with an EF mount, even film, he'll have another lens that fits the XT. The kit lens for the XS is the 18-55mm IS. The stock lens for the XT is the 18-55mm.

If he has a Canon camera with an EF mount, even film, he'll have another lens that fits the XT. The kit lens for the XS is the 18-55mm IS. The stock lens for the XT is the 18-55mm.

Yes correct lens is 18-55mm. I'll check with him if he has another EF mount lenses to try with those.

its nice of you to offer to help the guy out even after selling it...but sometimes this can backfire on you with him claiming u sold him a bad lens or whatever.. but back to the problem

Well i sold the camera about 10 months back it was functioning properly till last few weeks. The guy is in Kandy and there is only one place that i know about Camera repair that is also very old place and i don't think we can rely on them. It will be a trial and error method and they might messup with camera.

Since the manual focus work fine he still can use the camera.

Thanks for the comments.. will see.

Yes correct lens is 18-55mm. I'll check with him if he has another EF mount lenses to try with those.

Well i sold the camera about 10 months back it was functioning properly till last few weeks. The guy is in Kandy and there is only one place that i know about Camera repair that is also very old place and i don't think we can rely on them. It will be a trial and error method and they might messup with camera.

Since the manual focus work fine he still can use the camera.

Thanks for the comments.. will see.

If I were you, I'd let it go. Chances are the AF motor is gone. A possibility with the kit lens coz of the build and the way its geared. Might be better to just buy a new lens.

Did he use any extra adapters such as wide angle adapters with that lens. I have heard that using heavy adapters on basic lenses cause the life span of the lens motor to be cut short dramatically. I use a Conon Rebel 1000D with a 35-80 mm lens. A guy in Singapore tried to sell a wide angle adapter to me when I was there; luckily before I bought it I checked with my friends over here who advised me against it. better take it to metro; There is a workshop near NIBM. They are quite helpful.

yeah if it's the kit lens, it may be the issue 'cos the kit lenses are usually not high quality units.

Same thing happened to me, my 18-55 kit lens lens took a crap and stopped autofocusing indoors and would only focus on really bright objects. Bought myself a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and autofocus works flawlessly now and it's a MUCH better lens and is much faster! The Tamron lens in f/2.8 ($460) is a fraction of the cost of the Nikon version ($1350) and is just as good for what I'm doing. The kit lens retails for about $90 lol

Edited by MeanGreenZ28

yeah if it's the kit lens, it may be the issue 'cos the kit lenses are usually not high quality units.

Same thing happened to me, my 18-55 kit lens lens took a crap and stopped autofocusing indoors and would only focus on really bright objects. Bought myself a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and autofocus works flawlessly now and it's a MUCH better lens and is much faster! The Tamron lens in f/2.8 ($460) is a fraction of the cost of the Nikon version ($1350) and is just as good for what I'm doing. The kit lens retails for about $90 lol

FYI, the Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 is about $900 too :)

Peri, didn't you have a similar problem? I say the kit lenses are completely useless.

Not completely, I did get more than a years worth of pretty good use out of it. And the optics and IS are quite good. Its just not built to last. But then, its $100-$124. Not much quality at that price range.

Not completely, I did get more than a years worth of pretty good use out of it. And the optics and IS are quite good. Its just not built to last. But then, its $100-$124. Not much quality at that price range.

Out of curiosity what exactly was the problem you were experiencing? And was this on the 18-55 or on the 55-250mm?

Out of curiosity what exactly was the problem you were experiencing? And was this on the 18-55 or on the 55-250mm?

18-55. AF motor seems to have packed up. Hence the 15-85 which I mentioned somewhere else.

Its a bit difficult to just blame the lens tho. I WAS using it with a hood and a filter, which adds weight to the rotating part of the lens. So the motor has to push against the added weight of the components. That and the fact that removing the hood for storage probably causes some movement in the gearing if the AF is left on. Lots of things.

18-55. AF motor seems to have packed up. Hence the 15-85 which I mentioned somewhere else.

Its a bit difficult to just blame the lens tho. I WAS using it with a hood and a filter, which adds weight to the rotating part of the lens. So the motor has to push against the added weight of the components. That and the fact that removing the hood for storage probably causes some movement in the gearing if the AF is left on. Lots of things.

Oh, I thought the new lens was a general upgrade 'cos of all the wedding stuff you were getting into. So I guess this means these lenses should be stored in MF mode by default and be in MF mode when adding / removing accessories?

-Good to know. Thanks.

Edited by Kavvz

Ah. So I guess this means these lenses should be stored in MF mode by default and be in MF mode when adding / removing accessories?

-Good to know. Thanks.

I guess you could say that. I noticed when putting my own camera into it's bag that unless you're very gentle with it the focusing ring can turn due to the pressure. So by defaut I've gotten used to switching it to MF before storage.

Oh, I thought the new lens was a general upgrade 'cos of all the wedding stuff you were getting into. So I guess this means these lenses should be stored in MF mode by default and be in MF mode when adding / removing accessories?

-Good to know. Thanks.

Nope. I was happy with the 18-55 for weddings. I decided not to replace with another 18-55 just coz I wanted something reliable. I'm more interested in the telephoto end of the business, so other than a real wide prime (maybe a 50mm f1.4) and/or a macro, I'm done with the lens for that. It works, its good enough. Unless I get paid like Dimitri Cruz, I don't see a reason to sink a lot of money into that gear.

Interesting way of thinking. Not spend money on the thing that generates income, but spend money on the interests :D

And yes, I was switching it to MF when no in use, for quite some time now. Oh well.

It works, its good enough. Unless I get paid like Dimitri Cruz, I don't see a reason to

Googled the guy; dude's got a really nice business website and quite an extensive flikr site to boot. Is this someone you work with?

Edited by Kavvz

Dimitri is an awesome photographer. He's a close friend of one of my close friends and we had him do my wedding ... I was MORE than pleased. However, his rated have jumped quite high since then

Hey MeanGreenz28 I just noticed off your signature that you have a 50mm 1.4 prime lens as well. How much did that run you?

(And err roughly how much are we talking about when you say the rates are high? High as in the $2000-$3000 range?)

Edited by Kavvz

Googled the guy; dude's got a really nice business website and quite an extensive flikr site to boot. Is this someone you work with?

:) No. I've been to friends weddings where he was the paid dude, and I just snapped for fun for my friends, and he did my sis's wedding where I was a groomsman, but thats it. I've not worked with him. But he is a really nice guy. Taught me some stuff too.