• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Primera P11

RLan

Are you selling it? May I ask why? Just curious how it's like owning one? :rolleyes:

Had it for a while now - so looking for something a little different and possibly bigger & more suited to the local terrain

A nice Forester (S/Tb or XT) is fairly high up on the list at the moment - i.e : something rather brisk yet capable of trotting along on off the ( be it slightly) beaten path

Had it for a while now - so looking for something a little different and possibly bigger & more suited to the local terrain

A nice Forester (S/Tb or XT) is fairly high up on the list at the moment - i.e : something rather brisk yet capable of trotting along on off the ( be it slightly) beaten path

I get what you mean. I saw a Froester somewhere in Kohuwela (I think) 2.0L turbo. Pretty powerful I guess. (Not as 300ZX though).

OMG lots of honda hate here! the problem is when one mentions "honda," bodykits and beat barrels and subwoofers come to mind. with a 16 year old jerk behind the wheel. sadly. honda's should instead be known for their sheer joy of driving and handling.

i'm someone who had a look at a p11 camino and got meself a 2000 EK3. agreed, the camino looks hotter. but a few things you should consider:

1. the primera is lower. it bottoms out over almost anything. this can be a real issue in sri lanka unless your address says "colombo 7" and you don't plan on leaving the greater city limits! hell, the car i saw was in dehiwela and it couldn't make it out of the owners garage without scraping the bottom.

2. the multi-link sus is rather expensive to maintain, specially if (as mentioned earlier) not been sorted to suit our country

3. nissan engines have an oil burning issue, mostly due to under compression. i looked at a beautiful specimen of camino which had this problem. this is not something, as far as i know, that should come up south of 200,000km. but this one had done close to 80k. and we all know what undercompression means.

fuel consumption, despite being in the 5-6kmpl range, was no issue for me, because as someone menioned, it is a powerful car that can kick reasonably decent ass! the hyper CVT comes in the camino, and also the 2000cc "sport" model has a 6 speed tiptronic (or trip-tronic as the hitad says lol) box.

if this doesn't bother you, do go for it. the car is sex on wheels.

but "power of dreams aside" i think in all fairness one does find "nismo" and "trd" stuck on tuk-tuks and hi-aces as well, so lets not try to be better than each other here! and do remember next time you see an annoying beat barreled honda with an idiot driving it, its what's under the hood and behind the wheel that matters...

OMG lots of honda hate here! the problem is when one mentions "honda," bodykits and beat barrels and subwoofers come to mind. with a 16 year old jerk behind the wheel. sadly. honda's should instead be known for their sheer joy of driving and handling.

i'm someone who had a look at a p11 camino and got meself a 2000 EK3. agreed, the camino looks hotter. but a few things you should consider:

1. the primera is lower. it bottoms out over almost anything. this can be a real issue in sri lanka unless your address says "colombo 7" and you don't plan on leaving the greater city limits! hell, the car i saw was in dehiwela and it couldn't make it out of the owners garage without scraping the bottom.

2. the multi-link sus is rather expensive to maintain, specially if (as mentioned earlier) not been sorted to suit our country

3. nissan engines have an oil burning issue, mostly due to under compression. i looked at a beautiful specimen of camino which had this problem. this is not something, as far as i know, that should come up south of 200,000km. but this one had done close to 80k. and we all know what undercompression means.

fuel consumption, despite being in the 5-6kmpl range, was no issue for me, because as someone menioned, it is a powerful car that can kick reasonably decent ass! the hyper CVT comes in the camino, and also the 2000cc "sport" model has a 6 speed tiptronic (or trip-tronic as the hitad says lol) box.

but "power of dreams aside" i think in all fairness one does find "nismo" and "trd" stuck on tuk-tuks and hi-aces as well, so lets not try to be better than each other here! and do remember next time you see an annoying beat barreled honda with an idiot driving it, its what's under the hood and behind the wheel that matters...

Oohhh a P11 expert... after a test drive!

I don't think all Nissans have an oil burning issue.. if so, Peri would be walking to work and VVTi would be using his P11 as a dinning table.

I don't think he even did a test drive.. According to him the owner couldn't get the car out of the garage :blink:

What say you, Fellow P11 user, is this guy telling the truth????? :) :)... are you bottoming out, spewing oil all over and pumping gas in to a tank with a hole??

I don't think all Nissans have an oil burning issue.. if so, Peri would be walking to work and VVTi would be using his P11 as a dinning table.

I think this is a Crisco CEO... he has no issue with the fuel consumption...

Peri takes a shuttle to work mostly :) But thats not due to any oil burning issue, but coz my estimate for the car is Rs. 20k a month and the shuttle costs me about 3k a month. Also being driven means I can catch an extra hour of sleep on the shuttle :)

I live quite far from where I work. :)

Oh and also, never had an oil burning issue on my car. Never need topping up between services.

Now here's a bit of mud that needs clearing up..

1. Many factors influence a cars height- rim size, condition of suspension, tires, shocks etc etc. - Don't know how you can generalize based a test drive

2. Expensive to maintain compared to what?- a maruti?

3. Under compression & oil leaks- can be caused by many issues other than oil- I know of poorly serviced cars that have this issue even under 50k on the clock. Again its questionable as to how this became a general issue with Nissans

What say you, Fellow P11 user, is this guy telling the truth????? :) :)... are you bottoming out, spewing oil all over and pumping gas in to a tank with a hole??

Well, my address is not in Colombo 7 but in an ultra modern city called Kalutara and I drive frequently along the silken road called the Galle Road. Therefore I do not have any issues with my under carriage brushing over every bump on the road. <_<

I pump about 40 litres every time which vanishes even before I leave the fuel station. But miraculously I do not need to fill up again until I reach about 350kms. :blink: Shouldn't I get some green award or something for running a car for that many kilometers on an empty tank...? and Oh yes, I have a dedicated employee to clean my engine every day due to the excessive oil leakages due to the "under compression" :angry-smiley-048:

Well, there are some who prefer the cheap who*es while some prefer the sensual angels.

Thanks for the info.

Oohhh a P11 expert... after a test drive!

Hey bro, I went to see 2 P11s. They were in bad shape (I went with a techie guy I know). It seems like P11 is a rare car. :rolleyes: Too bad you had to sell your car earlier.

Now here's a bit of mud that needs clearing up..

1. Many factors influence a cars height- rim size, condition of suspension, tires, shocks etc etc. - Don't know how you can generalize based a test drive

2. Expensive to maintain compared to what?- a maruti?

3. Under compression & oil leaks- can be caused by many issues other than oil- I know of poorly serviced cars that have this issue even under 50k on the clock. Again its questionable as to how this became a general issue with Nissans

Thanks for the info.

Well, my address is not in Colombo 7 but in an ultra modern city called Kalutara and I drive frequently along the silken road called the Galle Road. Therefore I do not have any issues with my under carriage brushing over every bump on the road. <_<

I pump about 40 litres every time which vanishes even before I leave the fuel station. But miraculously I do not need to fill up again until I reach about 350kms. :blink: Shouldn't I get some green award or something for running a car for that many kilometers on an empty tank...? and Oh yes, I have a dedicated employee to clean my engine every day due to the excessive oil leakages due to the "under compression" :angry-smiley-048:

Well, there are some who prefer the cheap who*es while some prefer the sensual angels.

:action-smiley-060:

a lot of egos are sore from my previous post, i see... haiyyo, let me clear a few things up:

no, just taking a car for a test drive does NOT make one an expert. obviously... whatever made you think that? have i mentioned i am an expert/pro/nissan-god in anywhere in that column? the reason this whole thread was posted is to give a guy some pros and cons of owning/maintaining a P11 before he goes and buys one. i wsa jsut like this dude, and had the same issues/questions when i was serching for a primera.

its a sporty car. low center of gravity. and most of you, i'm sure, would like to give it low pros. all that done, you will lose a lot of ride height. i'm not someone who lives in colombo or drives the galle road regularly. so it was in issue for me. but apparently a lot of people on this column seem to forget the island extends beyond greater colombo.

also, this is not the only nissan or the only primera where i have seen this issue. which is why i brought it up. primeras are rare. they not exactly advertised on the papers, and even when they are, the sales agents know shi'ite. you'll find them online mostly, or thru word of mouth.

that being said, you boys are entitled to love your primeras. i meant them no disrespect, and i'm sure your cars are less upset over my comments than you are. the primera is a lovely car, but it is NOT perfect. so stop trying to act like it is. where's the joy in that? so instead of being nasty and nit-picking over what i have said, lets try and help this dude out.

and @the dude who started the thread: you're most welcome!