• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Turbo Engines

chamaps

Question

Friends

Some toyota cars (I mean diesel) coming with the Turbo Engines.Are they want to off the engine after 1 min stopping the vehicle.Is it practicle to cars (Even the timer installed).Normally the jeeps are coming with the Turbo engines but it is stop suddenly by the users.Is it harm to the vehicle?

And also can I know the exact functionality of thr Turbo and Intercooler Turbo Engines.

CHAMAL

22 answers to this question

About the functionality of turbo and intercooler.

This is a fan (turbo charger) which pumps air to the engine. With the development of high RPM engines, auto engineers faced the issue of having enough air getting in to combustion chamber as the inlet valves open only for few milliseconds. Hence the additional air pump introduced.

There were 2 types of turbo initially.

Self Charge - turbo fan connected to exhaust gas where engine speeds up, automatically the turbo fan speeds up.

Super Charge - there is a separate motor or belt to operate the turbo fan

Inter cooler - Even with turbo charger it was a problem that not enough Oxygen in inlet air, resulting loosing efficiency at high RPM. By reducing the temperature we can increase the density of air, thus increase the number of Oxygen molecules coming in to the combustion chamber. This is the functionality of the intercooler. It pressurize the inlet Air and when it pressurized heat will emitted from it, that is why we have a small radiator for intercooler.

I remember a minister speaks about the Pajero - turbo intercooler. About few years ago. He said its nothing luxury but, special air conditioner fixed there. :action-smiley-060: people used to think its some thing luxury and some thing to do with Air conditioning. But turbo engine initially introduced to heavy vehicles.

P.S this is quite old knowledge i gained in school at the motor mechanism class. May new additions and things might have changed now. There are lot of experts in Al for this subject.

Edited by MkX

Friends

Some toyota cars (I mean diesel) coming with the Turbo Engines.Are they want to off the engine after 1 min stopping the vehicle.Is it practicle to cars (Even the timer installed).Normally the jeeps are coming with the Turbo engines but it is stop suddenly by the users.Is it harm to the vehicle?

And also can I know the exact functionality of thr Turbo and Intercooler Turbo Engines.

CHAMAL

Wow !

Very clear description

Thanks lot friend

Thx again n again

CHAMAL

Friends

CHAMAL

to get more Info about Turbocharger http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

Intercooler http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercooler

The turbo charger needs Oil to cool it.So if you stop the car without idling the heated Oil will not cool down.This will cause damage to the Turbo

The reason behind idling a turbo engine for few minutes before shutting off the engine is to cool the turbo shaft and extend the bearing life. Only necessary to do if you drive the car really hard where the turbo shaft gets very hot. By idling the engine for few minutes, you circulate oil through the shaft bringing its temperature down so as to not to burn the oil in the shaft area due to high temperature. Turbo shafts can get to nearly 1000 dig F. on extremely hard use and oil can't withstand that kind of temperatures without turning into gunk. By idling the car and letting the shaft cool allows the temperature of this area to drop to more manageable level to keep the oil from gunking.

Turbo charges get extremal hot when running. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed. With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply ensuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off. Most turbo timers are based on digital electronics.

(Wikipedia)

is it possible to turbo a petrol vehicle

'Zambo',

Yes you can fix a turbo for petrol engines.

Turbochargers are most commonly used on Petrol engines in high-performance automobiles.

It has to be done by a expert on turbos.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I have seen many new vehicles say turbo, but i see the air intake model hood only on the older versions. Is the intake on newer versions in the engine itself?

Zambo,

As far as I know air intake design depends on the manufacture.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I have seen many new vehicles say turbo, but i see the air intake model hood only on the older versions. Is the intake on newer versions in the engine itself?

You need to stop making assumptions and read a little. The main assumption? That the hood scoop if for engine air intake.

Where can I start..... well its basically the turbo is a separate unit, which is kind of like a turbine which users the exhaust air to pressurize or charge the air going in to the engine. A intercooler is used to cool down this air. ( This is explained above in psot #2 )

The hood scoop you see in most vehicles is for fresh ( cool) air to come in to the intercooler. No air goes in b to the engine but only passes through the intercooler, which looks pretty much like any radiator. (This is also called a heat sink or heat exchanger ). If the vehicle has a intercooler in front of the engine, instead of on top of it there is no need for a hood scoop. This is why the Nissan Navara does not have one. Also the X-Trail takes the air from the front under the bonnet.

I think the new legacy has a FMIC, but still has a hood scoop just to cool the engine. Subarus tend to over emphasize the hood scoop.

Like Pericles has mentioned you can read up more.

• Like 1

I got a little confused when some say turbo with intake hood and others say turbo with no intake. Thanks for the clarification

'Zambo',

Turbo has to have a intake if not how can the turbo flow air into the intake of the engine.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I checked out the price of a turbo kit for the Vios (before anyone starts up, Thailand made a limited production run of Turbo Vios' with low boost compressors), and the estimates were on the wrong side of 1lak, just for all the bits and pieces. Not worth it IMO for the ~40hp boost.