• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ad People- Old Lankan Adverts

SeanD

I recently came across this old Sunlight Ad that any of you who were born in the mid-80s or before would remember:

Made me feel really nostalgic to see that again. Does anybody know where we can access old Sri Lankan ads like this (other than archive footage from TV stations that I guess would be impossible to get anyway). Perhaps the agencies who made them or places like video image will still have em. I know this ad was made by Lowe Lintas, any of you ad men know who composed this song? That guy/girl deserves a grammy award, if for nothing else the staying power of the song that I guess is used to this day.

I don't really watch TV anymore, but somehow the old ads are more fresh in my mind (I'm sure it will be the same for today's ads in many years time). Something about 'Lanka banku rakinne api...', 'delta tofee hari rasayi', 'kochchara kaawath madi mata glucorasa', 'singer, trusted excellence', man...

OK, so this thread is completely pointless :D Just so I don't get kicked out of this forum for good, I'm sure you remember the one and only car ad I remember in Sri Lanka, to the tune of the banana boat song- 'Daewoo, it's the car make for you, style performance and comfort too'!

Edited by SeanD

I recently came across this old Sunlight Ad that any of you who were born in the mid-80s or before would remember:

Made me feel really nostalgic to see that again. Does anybody know where we can access old Sri Lankan ads like this (other than archive footage from TV stations that I guess would be impossible to get anyway). Perhaps the agencies who made them or places like video image will still have em. I know this ad was made by Lowe Lintas, any of you ad men know who composed this song? That guy/girl deserves a grammy award, if for nothing else the staying power of the song that I guess is used to this day.

I don't really watch TV anymore, but somehow the old ads are more fresh in my mind (I'm sure it will be the same for today's ads in many years time). Something about 'Lanka banku rakinne api...', 'delta tofee hari rasayi', 'kochchara kaawath madi mata glucorasa', 'singer, trusted excellence', man...

OK, so this thread is completely pointless :D Just so I don't get kicked out of this forum for good, I'm sure you remember the one and only car ad I remember in Sri Lanka, to the tune of the banana boat song- 'Daewoo, it's the car make for you, style performance and comfort too'!

that's not that old mate :)

our agency once did a campaign with IAA to talk about the importance of proper adveritising...

It featured old ads that are still stuck in people's minds... like the "kandos Man" commercials from the 90's

The "Lipton Laogi Rosa" comemrcials... Mind you Rosa commercials are still running with newer looks given to the same old ad :)

that's not that old mate :)

our agency once did a campaign with IAA to talk about the importance of proper adveritising...

It featured old ads that are still stuck in people's minds... like the "kandos Man" commercials from the 90's

The "Lipton Laogi Rosa" comemrcials... Mind you Rosa commercials are still running with newer looks given to the same old ad :)

One ad i always remember still is that famous Bic Razor ad where the man says, Silinduwata raula baaama mata sulu deyak!!

another is DOT Seeya, Maame Andare, monwada oya padure, mewa thamai DOT kiyanne HAri peni rasa tofeee...

Its disturbing how i still remember them.... :action-smiley-060:

Kandos Man is still fresh in my memory because they sponsored Knight Rider!

Orex Pens advertised Battlestar Galactica (1979)

One ad i always remember still is that famous Bic Razor ad where the man says, Silinduwata raula baaama mata sulu deyak!!

another is DOT Seeya, Maame Andare, monwada oya padure, mewa thamai DOT kiyanne HAri peni rasa tofeee...

Its disturbing how i still remember them.... :action-smiley-060:

Kandos Man is still fresh in my memory because they sponsored Knight Rider!

Orex Pens advertised Battlestar Galactica (1979)

haha had a good laugh with the DOT seeya!

one thing which has stuck in my mind is the 'Suwen Suu' ad! lol i think i must have been around 10 years or so.. lil pervertish brat :P

haha had a good laugh with the DOT seeya!

one thing which has stuck in my mind is the 'Suwen Suu' ad! lol i think i must have been around 10 years or so.. lil pervertish brat :P

HELL YES... that Su En Su chick made me so horny!!! In her little nighty and thick lips! Why can't they make ads like that anymore???

HELL YES... that Su En Su chick made me so horny!!! In her little nighty and thick lips! Why can't they make ads like that anymore???

oh well... that sorta thing in far better quality and quantity is freely available on the world wide web nowadays...

we wont stand a chance of competing there... :)

besides...once one of our billboards was pulled down by the CMC after some monks protested over it :) apparently the lady in the billboard had heavy assets and that didn't go too well with some of the clergy :P

oh well... that sorta thing in far better quality and quantity is freely available on the world wide web nowadays...

we wont stand a chance of competing there... :)

besides...once one of our billboards was pulled down by the CMC after some monks protested over it :) apparently the lady in the billboard had heavy assets and that didn't go too well with some of the clergy :P

maybe the clergy was worried about having 'impure' thoughts themselves.....

Made me feel really nostalgic to see that again. .......................................

This was the very first Sunlight ad to use the (now familiar) "Sunlight Tune".

As far as I know, that Jingle was sung by Mariazelle Goonatilleka

At that time she held the SL record for singing the most number of Jingles.

-----------------------------------------------------

The voice-over was by the Late Mr. Upali Attanayake (of Dulux's Wilson Bappa fame), who handled several ad campaigns for Lever Brothers.

Edited by samishka

Thanks Samishka for the info! Did you work in advertising?

Ripper, did were you guys able to actually pull up those old ads? I do remember the Kandos man now, as well as the OREX pen, and the BIC razor ad with the guy who sings 'ran pota thelambuwa maniketa' or at least some variation of that song relating to Bic razors, and I think Henry Jayasena (RIP) in the actual ad.

Also the Z-lon ad with the plumber who is eternally out of luck. Su En Su I can rememeber. And who can forget that ad for car parts from the very early 90s "I know the place putha, mama dannawa thana... I know the parts putha, mama dannawa (something)" , "ICE CREAM soda, harima rasayi", "NINJA, paya SEEYAK paththuwena maduru coil", and the rather gross/loud one for CT LIONEL RADIATOR on Saturday afternoons.

I'd also like to hunt down the "station opening" theme songs for Rupavahini and ITN (if anyone remembers those from the early and mid 90s). They never failed to get the Lankan Pride flowing.

Edited by SeanD

Ripper, did were you guys able to actually pull up those old ads? I do remember the Kandos man now, as well as the OREX pen, and the BIC razor ad with the guy who sings 'ran pota thelambuwa maniketa' or at least some variation of that song relating to Bic razors, and I think Henry Jayasena (RIP) in the actual ad.

Also the Z-lon ad with the plumber who is eternally out of luck. Su En Su I can rememeber. And who can forget that ad for car parts from the very early 90s "I know the place putha, mama dannawa thana... I know the parts putha, mama dannawa (something)" , "ICE CREAM soda, harima rasayi", "NINJA, paya SEEYAK paththuwena maduru coil", and the rather gross/loud one for CT LIONEL RADIATOR on Saturday afternoons.

I'd also like to hunt down the "station opening" theme songs for Rupavahini and ITN (if anyone remembers those from the early and mid 90s). They never failed to get the Lankan Pride flowing.

No, i don't work in advertising. :) Just my nostalgic memories. (especially regarding the artistes)

The "Ranpota thelambuva" guy Mr. Nimal Jayamanne was in the ad for "Tempo" brand blades (circa. 1989-90).

There he was shown shaving with a disposable-blade razor.

"Ranpota thelambuva" song was playing in the background when he says "Oya ahenne mage janapriyama sindhuve tempo eka" and goes on 'admiring' the "Tempo" blade.

The famous "Bic" ad (circa. 1984-85) was all about showing the convenience of a Bic Disposable razor compared to an "old fashion" disposable-blade razor.

While Mr. Navanandana Wijesinghe messes up with the latter type, (the Late) Mr. Wimal Wicramarachchi (of Kopi Kade fame) goes on saying "Sininduwata raula baaama mata sulu deyak" etc. (as shown above by VVTi)

That car parts ad of MM Organisation dates back to 1989.

It was inspired by the famous "Paul Uncle" character (acted by Mr. Hemasiri Liyanage) and his catch-phrase "I know the law" from the "Asalwasiyo" teledrama which telecast in the same year.

As far as I remember, the person who asks "Sir, HiAce ekata badu gannada aawe? Mang aran dennam laabeta." was Mr. Shammi Rohitha who also played a role in the same teledrama.

Along with that CT Lionel radiator, (1991 - which shows water/coolant gushing out of the radiator of a Lancer Box),I never forget that funny ad (1991-92) where Mr. Ronnie Leitch recommends Pxxx Axxx Electricals to a person (whose car has a faulty starter motor) "Ethana Starter Motor dha, Armature dha, Alternator dha, arakadha, mekadha hemadhema thiyenava" :D

Regarding "station opening" theme songs Rupavahini song was first aired in February 1989 and ITN's "Samanola siripaa" dates back to 1990. Earlier Rupavahini used an instrumental version of our National Anthem and ITN used the full length vocal version of "Sri Lanka Maathaa".

(Since TV stations start their transmissions at odd times, I haven't heard/seen both of the theme songs for a long time.)

No, i don't work in advertising. :) Just my nostalgic memories. (especially regarding the artistes)

Samishka, your nostalgic memories had my jaw hitting the floor, and I spent about 5 mins trying to pick it up... :mellow: You have one heck of an amazing memory dude, amazing! It's obviously the Tempo blade ads that I'm remembering now then. Been also struggling for years to remember what company actually had that "I know the (bla) putha..." ad- thanks!

As for the Rupavahini and ITN theme songs, I've been looking for them for a long time but nobody I know could even remember much about them. I don't think they are played anymore and are probably owned by those organizations. I have a friend who knows some guy at Rupavahini who is trying to dig them out of the archives, hope that works. (I did get something called Samanala Siripa by Henry Kaldera but that doesn't seem to be the one you're referring to). I really remember only the tunes and some of the words of one of them like "pansal kovil palli giyath api, ekama piyaa ge doodaruwo". If you do have any info on them please PM me or something, would love to know.

Thanks again for refreshing our memories!

Edited by SeanD

Samishka, your nostalgic memories had my jaw hitting the floor, and I spent about 5 mins trying to pick it up... :mellow: You have one heck of an amazing memory dude, amazing! It's obviously the Tempo blade ads that I'm remembering now then. Been also struggling for years to remember what company actually had that "I know the (bla) putha..." ad- thanks!

As for the Rupavahini and ITN theme songs, I've been looking for them for a long time but nobody I know could even remember much about them. I don't think they are played anymore and are probably owned by those organizations. I have a friend who knows some guy at Rupavahini who is trying to dig them out of the archives, hope that works. (I did get something called Samanala Siripa by Henry Kaldera but that doesn't seem to be the one you're referring to). I really remember only the tunes and some of the words of one of them like "pansal kovil palli giyath api, ekama piyaa ge doodaruwo". If you do have any info on them please PM me or something, would love to know.

Thanks again for refreshing our memories!

Eka ammagen kiru biw api sema// Eke le mas athi sohoyuro. Pansal Kovil palligiyath api ekama piyage du daruwo.

And if I remember

Smanala siripa piyuma dowagena seetha gangul rata wato yanawo. I think I'll be able to put togher the lyrics. Buh not rite now.

Eka ammagen kiru biw api sema// Eke le mas athi sohoyuro. Pansal Kovil palligiyath api ekama piyage du daruwo.

And if I remember

Smanala siripa piyuma dowagena seetha gangul rata wato yanawo. I think I'll be able to put togher the lyrics. Buh not rite now.

Awesome!

Awesome!

As far as I remember ITN's "Samanola Siripaa"was written by Kalashuri Mr. Arisen Ahubudu. [Can't remember who composed the music, however it was sung by a group of (novice ?)singers]

And it was Mr. Sarath De Alwis (Former Member of "Old" SUPERSTARS) who composed the melody for the Rupavahini song. [No info about the lyricist and the singer]

By the way let's wait and see whether someone will upload those two songs on to YOU TUBE. :)

Edited by samishka

:smilie_liebe9: Pepsi mega advertisement long time ago was my favorite mainly because of Natasha Pereras heavenly voice

One mega bottle standing....

Because they are unbreakable silly....

Edited by maersk

As far as I remember ITN's "Samanola Siripaa"was written by Kalashuri Mr. Arisen Ahubudu. [Can't remember who composed the music, however it was sung by a group of (novice ?)singers]

And it was Mr. Sarath De Alwis (Former Member of "Old" SUPERSTARS) who composed the melody for the Rupavahini song. [No info about the lyricist and the singer]

By the way let's wait and see whether someone will upload those two songs on to YOU TUBE. :)

Samishka, thanks to you, I finally managed to find one of the songs which I have been looking for so many years. The ITN one: http://www.infolanka.com/miyuru_gee/yyy/y149.ram

Now to find the other one. Thanks man!

yeah mate...normally the agencies keep all their previous work quite safely! every little press ad to leaflet is stored in some dvd or cd somewhere...

it's not always easy to track em down but tv and radio work get proper storage when compared to other work.

The "Ranpota thelambuva" guy Mr. Nimal Jayamanne was in the ad for "Tempo" brand blades (circa. 1989-90).

There he was shown shaving with a disposable-blade razor.

"Ranpota thelambuva" song was playing in the background when he says "Oya ahenne mage janapriyama sindhuve tempo eka" and goes on 'admiring' the "Tempo" blade.

The famous "Bic" ad (circa. 1984-85) was all about showing the convenience of a Bic Disposable razor compared to an "old fashion" disposable-blade razor.

While Mr. Navanandana Wijesinghe messes up with the latter type, (the Late) Mr. Wimal Wicramarachchi (of Kopi Kade fame) goes on saying "Sininduwata raula baaama mata sulu deyak" etc. (as shown above by VVTi)

That car parts ad of MM Organisation dates back to 1989.

It was inspired by the famous "Paul Uncle" character (acted by Mr. Hemasiri Liyanage) and his catch-phrase "I know the law" from the "Asalwasiyo" teledrama which telecast in the same year.

As far as I remember, the person who asks "Sir, HiAce ekata badu gannada aawe? Mang aran dennam laabeta." was Mr. Shammi Rohitha who also played a role in the same teledrama.

Along with that CT Lionel radiator, (1991 - which shows water/coolant gushing out of the radiator of a Lancer Box),I never forget that funny ad (1991-92) where Mr. Ronnie Leitch recommends Pxxx Axxx Electricals to a person (whose car has a faulty starter motor) "Ethana Starter Motor dha, Armature dha, Alternator dha, arakadha, mekadha hemadhema thiyenava" :D

Regarding "station opening" theme songs Rupavahini song was first aired in February 1989 and ITN's "Samanola siripaa" dates back to 1990. Earlier Rupavahini used an instrumental version of our National Anthem and ITN used the full length vocal version of "Sri Lanka Maathaa".

(Since TV stations start their transmissions at odd times, I haven't heard/seen both of the theme songs for a long time.)

woah samishka quite a memory u have :)

woah samishka quite a memory u have :)

Thank you :) , but my memory is good only on Trivia.

Never forget those days (mid- to late 80s), when I (as a child) thoroughly enjoyed watching TV.

Until Maharaja TeleVision started in 8th of May 1992, only two State-owned TV channels (SLRC and ITN) existed.

Today with nearly ten TV channels caught in cut throat competition, watching TV has become a stressful experience.

Therefore now I rarely watch local channels.