• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw M3 Or Mercedes C55 Amg?

madmax

Question

Hi Guys,

If you were to pick between an BMW M3 (E46 model) or a Mercedes C55 AMG (W203 model) which one would you pick considering it will be a daily driver plus a family car. C55 comes in automatic only and the M3 picked will be one with SMG.

• Answers 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hmm seems M3 is voted 7 ahead of C55's 5 so far :)

MINIACE

Yep but many factors have me leaning towards a three point star and away from the ultimate driving machine.

4 doors

price

newer production date

availability

Where are you based? I probably looked at the same car! Just negotiating one with 32K miles on it down to $20k - one owner car still under warranty.

Dude! Im supposed to be visiting family in the US sometime next year... i am SO gonna come pay a visit to you as well!!

this is a tough decision....... if I was given the option, it would definitely be the E46 M3. but then i wouldn't DD it or consider it as a family car (esp in OH with all that nasty weather, you will need winter tires - i used to live in Cinci).

The M3 is much more fun to drive IMO. I think the M's are going for low 20s with plenty of CPO left. On the E46, have a PPI for vanos, sub frame cracks, coolant reservoir leaks, fan clutch, etc.

I am hoping you have driven both of them and considered the true cost of owning both of them. I DIY most of the stuff (on E39), but the maintenance (brakes, belts, pulleys, tensioners, etc.) can be costly and repairs (clutch, SMG pump, etc.) will be staggering. If you DIY, both engine bays are cramped full of all sorts of goodies, but is a bitch to work in.

Good Luck with the search and have fun test driving cars. Watch out for douche bag salesmen at BMW store and Merc steelership

this is a tough decision....... if I was given the option, it would definitely be the E46 M3. but then i wouldn't DD it or consider it as a family car (esp in OH with all that nasty weather, you will need winter tires - i used to live in Cinci).

The M3 is much more fun to drive IMO. I think the M's are going for low 20s with plenty of CPO left. On the E46, have a PPI for vanos, sub frame cracks, coolant reservoir leaks, fan clutch, etc.

I am hoping you have driven both of them and considered the true cost of owning both of them. I DIY most of the stuff (on E39), but the maintenance (brakes, belts, pulleys, tensioners, etc.) can be costly and repairs (clutch, SMG pump, etc.) will be staggering. If you DIY, both engine bays are cramped full of all sorts of goodies, but is a bitch to work in.

Good Luck with the search and have fun test driving cars. Watch out for douche bag salesmen at BMW store and Merc steelership

Yep looks like the snow tires are a must. I'm looking for some thing around 20k and most M3s available for that price are '02 and '04 models that have over 50k miles. But can get a 05 C55 with less than 50k miles for that price.

Edited by madmax

Yep looks like the snow tires are a must. I'm looking for some thing around 20k and most M3s available for that price are '02 and '04 models that have over 50k miles. But can get a 05 C55 with less than 50k miles for that price.

time for pros and cons list (some of these are personal experiences from test driving and borrowed driving and others are what i have heard from friends and read on the internets)

For M3

- higher purchase price for same mileage

+ lower depreciation rate

+enthusiasts will still want one with 70-80K miles when you wanna sell

+ peak power available at low gears

+ SMG (better compared to Auto)

- SMG means possible redlined engine

- possible SMG pump/clutch replacement

+ slightly better handling

+ many upgrades on interior from regular E46 (some awesome color combinations)

- interior is cramped esp back seats

- Insurance is higher

- image of a single /player/ young professional who is a weekend racer

For C55

+ Lower purchase price

- higher depreciation rate

- not many people looking for a C55 with 70-80K miles (not enthusiasts)

- real power doesn't come in until higher gears/speeds

- autotragic

+ hard to redline engine (i think)

- tranny is a weak point with all that power

- slightly softer handling compared to M3

- minor interior upgrades from regular C

- interior is cramped but i think the C55 has split rear folding seats for runs to Home depot

+ insurance is lower

+ image of a more mature (read boring) stable (usually WHITE) man who gets someone else to do his landscaping

if you have any plans for a baby seat in the near future then i would NOT consider the E39 M5 too big. I have had a few friends' car seats in the E39 and it makes the front seats a lil cramped (and I am only 6ft tall). Either one of the cars you're considering would be impractical as a baby hauler. The E39 M5 is just too expensive (BRAKE$) to maintain as a DD, also not having a spare wheel can be a hassle.

again, i am not trying to steer you in any (BMW) direction but this is just my 2 cents... hope it helps

again, i am not trying to steer you in any (BMW) direction but this is just my 2 cents... hope it helps

Thanks! That's a lot of information! I've already sold the 325xi. Now have to make up my mind about what to buy. BTW the kid's 2. No plans for another one. Wife sits upfront so the baby seat can go behind her. Heading out to see two M3s in a while.

Edited by madmax

For M3

- image of a single /player/ young professional who is a weekend racer

For C55

+ image of a more mature (read boring) stable (usually WHITE) man who gets someone else to do his landscaping

Problem is I'm none of those! Married grad student without a proper job! LOL :lol:

Edited by madmax

Good news for all you bimmer fans! The decision is final. An M3 it is! Test drove one with SMG yesterday and I must say I'm impressed! I'm not even going to bother trying out the Merc. Awaiting to get my hands on what will be my 4th E46!

Edited by madmax

Good news for all you bimmer fans! The decision is final. An M3 it is! Test drove one with SMG yesterday and I must say I'm impressed! I'm not even going to bother trying out the Merc. Awaiting to get my hands on what will be my 4th E46!

i am glad you went that way. I bet it was that whole "player" image huh?....j/k

just get a good PPI done, esp on the chassis crack.

I'd have unreservedly said m3 from the beginning if it weren't for the SMG box, IMO you should have at least tried the merc though, its a good car in its own right..

Anyway, as someone else said, in the end dude it IS your car.... and can I say "You Lucky BAstard!" now? :P

Congrats max, best of luck with her!

awesome! Congratulations buddy! :grinning-smiley-003:

I'd have unreservedly said m3 from the beginning if it weren't for the SMG box

It's not bad at all. And some folks prefer it over the manual because the manual's shift fork is a little vague. And most of all it's not easy getting used shifting with your right hand when you've been doing that all your life with you left! Test drove a manual M3 yesterday and ended up shifting to 1st instead of 3rd a couple of times.

Still part of 'awaiting' didn't you understand. Didn't find a one within my budget yet.

Easy tiger...was simply congratulating on your decision to GET an M3!! (Always wanted one, not sure whether I'd ever own one, BUT its awesome that you're gonna get one ;) So cheers to that!)

Don't you drive a RX -8 now?

Nopes, I whimped out and bought an Altima instead :( Your search for an M3 has been a real eye opener though: I didn't know you could lay hands on a 2005 M3 for 20k or there abouts...Really always wanted to have an M3 but the way I figured it a decent one would set me back at least 40k+ . Not sure how you're getting it for 20-30k but hey man, show me how its done! Perhaps when you're done with it and are ready to upgrade I might be able to buy it off you :D

madmax,

im in chi man...ull get a better deal if u look in a bigger city...are u lookin in cinci or in some bigger city?? good luck man...only a 5 hr drive to chicago to find ur ride..i went on autotrader.com....

good luck mate.........BTW get an SUV i hate driving a car in the snow...i m lookin in to the FJ cruiser.....hate all this snow

madmax,

im in chi man...ull get a better deal if u look in a bigger city...are u lookin in cinci or in some bigger city?? good luck man...only a 5 hr drive to chicago to find ur ride..i went on autotrader.com....

good luck .........BTW get an SUV i hate driving a car in the snow...i m lookin in to the FJ cruiser.....hate all this snow

Edited by getposition