• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Volkxwagan

kjk

Question

10 answers to this question

Wow, a Beetle?

Older the better, a 1303 is more power but a lot more trouble as well, try a real classic if you can.

Maithri

1303 holds the highest market value in sl. It's more modern and comes with front mcperson struts and a dash board as oppose to other beetles. If you're looking at daily ride with better handling, go for 1303 and if you're looking at a classic, go for early plates split glass 1100, 6v

1303 holds the highest market value in sl. It's more modern and comes with front mcperson struts and a dash board as oppose to other beetles. If you're looking at daily ride with better handling, go for 1303 and if you're looking at a classic, go for early plates split glass 1100, 6v

The Super Beetles (1302, 1302S and 1303, identifiable by a longer front end than the standard beetle) are indeed somewhat more modern cars, but current prices being quoted are kinda ridiculous! Having said that, it is sometimes possible to find a decent car in a sensible price.

However, May i suggest the Later (1968 onwards) standard 1300 as a good compromise. They are a lot cheaper than the super beetles and offer 90% of the benefits that they do, as well as being easier to maintain!

hi guys,

Thank you very much for the reply......

Hw is VW1200 is it good?

You can get engine & body parts (second hand) from place wattala.... Infront of pizza hut.on my way to office I saw they had few...

More advices will be wormly welcome.

hi guys,

Thank you very much for the reply......

Hw is VW1200 is it good?

You can get engine & body parts (second hand) from place wattala.... Infront of pizza hut.on my way to office I saw they had few...

More advices will be wormly welcome.

I used to drive my father's (3rd owner) 1956 VW1200.

While the car was almost in its original shape sans hub caps, the rear end has been ruined by the previous owner by fitting post-1968 type tail lamps.

Thankfully the tiny oval rear glass was untouched.

Like most cars from the 50s, ergonomics (including all-round visibility and the gear shift) were extremely poor. No surprise since it is a low-cost car made for the masses.

Some weird features noticed by me;

Head light dipper switch is operated by the left foot.

Brake fluid reservoir (opaque) located behind the spare wheel.

However by the early 60s VW has vastly improved its short comings.

Finally I have an advise regarding the rear window glass.

There are many owners of this 1955-56 model who have replaced that tiny oval rear glass with a bigger one to improve rearward visibility.

One should never ever do that since it adversely affects the value of the car.

(True, the tiny oval window is a pain when reversing.)

Edited by samishka

................................ if you're looking at a classic, go for early plates split glass 1100, 6v

Split glass? They are extremely rare.

I remember reading in a newspaper article, that in the early 80s a prince from Japan while in a visit to Sri Lanka, bought most of those split glass models and took them home. (As a result only a handful of split glass model VWs survive in Sri Lanka.) :(

Edited by samishka

I remember reading in a newspaper article, that in the early 80s a prince from Japan while in a visit to Sri Lanka, bought most of those split glass models and took them home. (As a result only a handful of split glass model VWs survive in Sri Lanka.) :(

quite true, but they do exist and that's why split glass model should be considered if one opt for classic beetle. I've seen a superb condition split glass black beetle in colombo with white wall tires driven by a fairly young guy and saw an abandoned body of a split glass on matugama - neluwa road about an year ago.