• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Le Sabre

13 hours ago, Davy said:

So it's not the same spot... You made it sound a bit dramatic you know. ?

Get your fuel pump and filter checked out. Make sure there are no leaks in vacuum hoses. 

Does the check engine light come up just before the car stalls? The best way to diagnose the issue would be to plug in a diagnostic scanner and try to reproduce the issue.

in the morning, its the same spot though.... evening not the same spot.... im not sure if it comes before or after but both happens in the same time.. is it alright to wait for few more days and then take the car to inspect?

Edited by PreseaLover

On 6/2/2018 at 1:21 PM, PreseaLover said:

is it alright to wait for few more days and then take the car to inspect?

I will do the polite thing and not respond to this question although I am really tempted to leave a snide remark. 

Edited by Davy
Font colour changed to green

On 6/2/2018 at 1:21 PM, PreseaLover said:

in the morning, its the same spot though.... evening not the same spot.... im not sure if it comes before or after but both happens in the same time.. is it alright to wait for few more days and then take the car to inspect?

After stalling, does the car start and run normally till the end of your journey ?

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, ArtfulDodger said:

guys, I went to inspect a presea.. everything was fine apart from the fact that the indicators in the meterboard, the headlights, the a/c lights and everything were dimming and blinking slightly. Would this be due to a faulty alternator? can we fix the alternator or should we replace the alternator?

Sounds like a bad alternator to me. Probably a faulty rectifier/ v reg. If that's actually the issue, yes it can be repaired. Get the charging system inspected, battery tested before attempting to repair the alternator because it just might be a dying battery. 

Edit: When I said it can be repaired, I meant the alternator. Usually the rectifier is replaced with a new part. The rectifier is basically a set of diodes that sit inside the alternator. It's normal for them to fail as the car ages. 

Edited by Davy

1 minute ago, Davy said:

Sounds like a bad alternator to me. Probably a faulty rectifier/ v reg. If that's actually the issue, yes it can be repaired. Get the charging system inspected, battery tested before attempting to repair the alternator because it just might be a dying battery. 

Ah right thanks davy

On 9/24/2018 at 7:47 AM, Davy said:

Edit: When I said it can be repaired, I meant the alternator. Usually the rectifier is replaced with a new part. The rectifier is basically a set of diodes that sit inside the alternator. It's normal for them to fail as the car ages. 

with what happened with my cefiro, im right now facing a phobia to buy any car... Davy do you think if i buy the car I will be able to fix this lights flickering issue? Im afraid that i wont be able to fix this and go through another loss again... im afraid to buy a car that has a mileage of over 200k again thinking that the engine will seize again.. has anybody gone through a situation like this? what should i do? 

15 minutes ago, ArtfulDodger said:

with what happened with my cefiro, im right now facing a phobia to buy any car... Davy do you think if i buy the car I will be able to fix this lights flickering issue? Im afraid that i wont be able to fix this and go through another loss again... im afraid to buy a car that has a mileage of over 200k again thinking that the engine will seize again.. has anybody gone through a situation like this? what should i do? 

There are risks associated with any purchase, whether it be a car or not. The best you can do as a buyer is make an informed decision. If you're having doubts about the car because of this lights flickering issue, get the seller's permission and take the car to a good auto electrician for inspection before the purchase. 

On an online forum, I or any other member can only tell you what might be the issue as it's sometimes difficult to diagnose issues based on a description (especially of noises and vibrations etc.). It's up to you to take further action based on advice given here. From your description, it certainly looks like the rectifier in the alternator is on its way out, or already is. And as I've said before, if this is the issue, it is a simple repair where the alternator needs to be taken out, serviced and rectifier replaced. 

The rectifier (some call it the regulator, but it is a rectifier circuit really) is responsible for converting the alternating current (AC) produced by the alternator into direct current (DC). This is done with the use of a set of diodes. The diodes are essentially what forms the rectifier circuit. When one or more diodes in the circuit becomes faulty, the resulting current is not a smooth DC current and has small spikes. This is what you see as a flicker in the lights. 

1 hour ago, ArtfulDodger said:

We can only make educated guesses as to what might be the issue. In reality it might be something completely different. Go get it checked out and make an informed decision.

As for what I would have done with a car I just bought with a seized engine ? Well...I would replace the engine....then fix up the whole thing...and use it for more than 6 months and get my money's worth out of it. ...

Dude.... the most likely explanation for your car's engine seizing is running without water for some distance. One common problem with older cars is the thermostat valve gets stuck, pressure builds up and the cooling system start cracking (at their weakest points) to let off the pressure. Even with a brand new car, you should be keeping an eye on the heat indicator every 10-20 mins during a trip. Why do u think carmakers added the heat indicator as the only gauge other than fuel gauge to the meter cluster?

Other possibility is running without oil. Even in that case, the oil pressure warning should get lit up way before the engine seized. The way the Cefiro engine is formed causes as unique problem. Leaked oil from some areas of the engine block can actually land on the gearbox or the silencer without falling on the ground. But if you check oil every day, you shouldn't face this.

Either way, if you drive a car older than 5 years, you must check fluids every day. 

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, since there is a SR18 version engine also in preseas, im wondering whether it will be a good move to get the sr18 version... What are the other nissan cars that consist of the SR18 engine in sri lanka? Since im hoping to keep my next presea for my life I wanna make sure, I will easily be able to source a SR18 engine from Sri Lanka when needed... Any advice on this? Also cant the GA15 parts be used at all for this version?.. Would there be a significant difference in fuel figures comparing to the GA15DE? 

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

So as @PerfMad requested, here's a teaser of the car... broken and shit :D Right now the car is put to paint :D 

Seems to be in rough shape. At least on the outside. But hey, that's what a project car is right? :) Good luck!

Guys can you let me know a good place where i can align the power shutter of my car..? seems like the power shutter is not aligned properly in the rear door and when closing the door, it gets stuck between the upper beading and getting closed. I need to fix this asap or otherwise the inner beading will get damaged. I need to find a proper person who is experienced on this matter, so is there any recommended person? (The root cause of this is, there was a visor before, and the visor has been broken for a while and sometimes when you slam the door, the window closes over the visor and maybe the window alignment got f**ked because of that. and after few days i noticed yesterday that the beading rubber has started to get damaged due to that wrong window alignment. If I don't fix this soon as the paint job is done, im f**ked for life as there is no place to get beadings for Presea.. 

4 minutes ago, Davy said:

Seems to be in rough shape. At least on the outside. But hey, that's what a project car is right? :) Good luck!

Yes, the buffer is not aligned with the bonnet, and the lights, and the bumper light is broken.. the entire body needs a restoration. Thanks Davy :) 

Edited by PreseaLover

3 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

Guys can you let me know a good place where i can align the power shutter of my car..? seems like the power shutter is not aligned properly in the rear door and when closing the door, it gets stuck between the upper beading and getting closed. I need to fix this asap or otherwise the inner beading will get damaged. I need to find a proper person who is experienced on this matter, so is there any recommended person? (The root cause of this is, there was a visor before, and the visor has been broken for a while and sometimes when you slam the door, the window closes over the visor and maybe the window alignment got f**ked because of that. and after few days i noticed yesterday that the beading rubber has started to get damaged due to that wrong window alignment. If I don't fix this soon as the paint job is done, im f**ked for life as there is no place to get beadings for Presea.. 

Go to McCallum road. There's a tamil guy (I forgot the name) who has a little hole in the wall shop, just past those second hand bookshops. He's good with this kind of things.

Otherwise, try Rexton Motors, next to the Fire brigade in Darley road. Those guys are also good.

1 minute ago, Crosswind said:

Go to McCallum road. There's a tamil guy (I forgot the name) who has a little hole in the wall shop, just past those second hand bookshops. He's good with this kind of things.

Otherwise, try Rexton Motors, next to the Fire brigade in Darley road. Those guys are also good.

ah right, thanks Cross :) 

38 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

So as @PerfMad requested, here's a teaser of the car... broken and shit :D Right now the car is put to paint :D 

IMG-0267.JPG

Ok this is a Vivian(Julia Roberts) alright... some TLC , champagne, strawberries and some make up later she'll be yours for life 

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, PreseaLover said:

Guys, since there is a SR18 version engine also in preseas, im wondering whether it will be a good move to get the sr18 version... What are the other nissan cars that consist of the SR18 engine in sri lanka? Since im hoping to keep my next presea for my life I wanna make sure, I will easily be able to source a SR18 engine from Sri Lanka when needed... Any advice on this? Also cant the GA15 parts be used at all for this version?.. Would there be a significant difference in fuel figures comparing to the GA15DE? 

I think primera P11 also comes with SR18 isn't it?

1 hour ago, PreseaLover said:

IMG-0267.JPG

Great. Thanks for the teaser. I'm keen to see how this project will come out at the end. Please do keep us posted. i would love to see couple of pics after the paint job :D 

• Like 1

Ok Update on parts purchasing for cheap... Took a Risk and ordered a center panel from Russia for the first time for Rs. 2000 with shipping, cuz couldnt find the exact teak panel from yahoo auctions as 1 of my vents in the teak panel is broken.. Let's see if this works.. they got stuff for cheap.. anyone has ordered before from Drom.ru before? for those who are looking for rare car parts, this site has got few in case you guys want to take a risk and purchase. 

• Thanks 1