• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Dslr

malikweerasiri

You boys should go lowepro! They got bags of various sizes, styles and oparational styles (sling shot, flipside etc) to suit whatever kinda usage.

I use a flipside 400AW. lots of space and VERY easy to use when on the move.

yeah...i actually wanted to go for the lowepro the first time too but thought canon would have a better product. big mistake.

i don't really use my bag that much. the biggest abuse it has taken is attending races in heavy heat.

after the f2.8 70-200 came in, the bag gave up within just a few weeks. the top fabric part that holds the zipper in place is coming off.

I have a varity of backpacks due to intrest in hiking etc and this is the first time a bag has given up on me this soon with little abuse.

So big straight middle finger to canon bags! :D

• 4 weeks later...

You boys should go lowepro! They got bags of various sizes, styles and oparational styles (sling shot, flipside etc) to suit whatever kinda usage.

I use a flipside 400AW. lots of space and VERY easy to use when on the move.

Don't suppose you could bring down a ThinkTank or a Clik Elite from Singa?

I know a chappy who said he can deliver a ThinkTank to my doorstep for 23k. Which is nice, but the Amazon price is $179. And the Clik Elite Pro does seem to have heaps more space.

Ok, now I presume you guys have heard the saying "there`s no question as a dumb question". :D

Just wondering, in a shoulder bag, is it ok to place the camera with the lens facing down? It`s easier to pop my camera in and out with the lens down but not sure whether this`ll cause any extra strain on the lens due to camera weight on top. :unsure:

Ok, now I presume you guys have heard the saying "there`s no question as a dumb question". :D

Just wondering, in a shoulder bag, is it ok to place the camera with the lens facing down? It`s easier to pop my camera in and out with the lens down but not sure whether this`ll cause any extra strain on the lens due to camera weight on top. :unsure:

Depends on the bag, depends on the lens. There is a bag type known as the "holster", the default way to insert the camera is lens down. Might not be so advisable on lens where the front element rotates during focus (18-55, 18-135, 55-250 in the Canon range off the top of my head).

Depends on the bag, depends on the lens. There is a bag type known as the "holster", the default way to insert the camera is lens down. Might not be so advisable on lens where the front element rotates during focus (18-55, 18-135, 55-250 in the Canon range off the top of my head).

The bag is just a Lowepro actually, it hasn't got that special shape of a holster. Lens is a Cannon IS 18-55 with motorized focus. :(

Guess I should be storing it lens up. Thanks for the tip.

The bag is just a Lowepro actually, it hasn't got that special shape of a holster. Lens is a Cannon IS 18-55 with motorized focus. :(

Guess I should be storing it lens up. Thanks for the tip.

Always switch an 18-55 to manual focus for storage. Lesson learnt. I have a lovely IS paper-weight now.

Always switch an 18-55 to manual focus for storage. Lesson learnt. I have a lovely IS paper-weight now.

ah bummer...wish i knew this earlier!

my 18-55 AF is now only one way. :(

• 3 years later...

Digging up this old thred to get some expert opinion on choosing a entry level dslr. Did bit of searching and went through few online reviews and im now bit biased towards nikon d3300. What are my other options ? Im currently having cannon sx40 point & shoot .

Digging up this old thred to get some expert opinion on choosing a entry level dslr. Did bit of searching and went through few online reviews and im now bit biased towards nikon d3300. What are my other options ? Im currently having cannon sx40 point & shoot .

If you are looking for a Nikon i believe if you can extent you budget a little bit for a old model Nikon D7000 (about Rs 99,000) would be better than new Nikon D3300 (about Rs 77500). Below are few main points i like about Nikon d7000 over Nikon 3K series.

D7000 is weather seal (less dust), more focus points (39), Fast shutter speed & burst rate, Build in focus motor (focusing is much faster, supports many older lenses), Standard battery grips available to use 2 batteries, etc..

I haven't own a D3300 but have owned a D3200 so i'm not 100% sure if there is any huge difference from D3200 -> D3300. Anyways these are some tips from a beginner. Better to get more info from Peri or someone who has good knowledge on this subject.

KMeeg.

Edited by kmeeg

Firstly -

http://techwire.lk/thoughts-on-buying-a-camera/

Next - If you already have a SX40, staying with Canon would be more familiar. For one thing, You can get the articulating LCD, which was the biggest thing I missed moving from S2 IS to 450D. The next 2 upgrades both had articulating LCDs, that was a big feature I wanted.

And considering the price difference between the D3300 and a 700D, I'd be picking the 700.

That said, thats me. Its a mistake to recommend anything without knowing what the intended use is.

@kMeeg, Thank you very much for the input.D3300 costs 64500 with 18-55mm vr2 kit lens. I don't know the price of 700D here. I can't afford to spend beyond 70k range. I thought of spend bit less on the camera and go for a 70-300mm lens later.

@peri, Thanks for the valuable info. Intended to use it as a hobby and love bit of wildlife photography.Thats why thought of spend bit less on a cammera and invest on a affordable telephoto lense later. Due to my poor storage of the cammera , sx40 has developed a small dot inside the lens . I still not take it to a repair joint. Mate, can you recommend a place to get it sorted.

Edited by H.C

@kMeeg, Thank you very much for the input.D3300 costs 64500 with 18-55mm vr2 kit lens. I don't know the price of 700D here. I can't afford to spend beyond 70k range. I thought of spend bit less on the camera and go for a 70-300mm lens later.

@peri, Thanks for the valuable info. Intended to use it as a hobby and love bit of wildlife photography.Thats why thought of spend bit less on a cammera and invest on a affordable telephoto lense later. Due to my poor storage of the cammera , sx40 has developed a small dot inside the lens . I still not take it to a repair joint. Mate, can you recommend a place to get it sorted.

H.C.,

Sorry I took the prices from Ph@toTe@hnica. I guess they are out dated.

BTW, I was saying about D7000. If you get a chance check for prices for that too and see if its within your budget. Since you are looking for little bit of wildlife D7000 would give you a faster focusing and you can increase iso to compensate the light loss from basic lenses.

Since cameras like d3300 does not come with focus motors focusing might be slower. D7000 would be the cheapest with a focus motor. Hope below video might help to understand what i was talking about;

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152865854801645&l=3118595503573660269 <Pls let me know if you can't access the video as its in my FB>

But anyways I also own D3200 its a great camera. But for certain scenarios D3200 is not enough. So it might be a good idea to start with d3300 and if it really needed you can update. Also as Peri said try Canon too..

KMeeg.

• Like 1

Speaking of which i have my eyes on the New Canon 100D, Which is well within your budget and it performes very similar to the 700D the only thing missing is that articulating LCD display but do gain a touch screen display which for me seems a bit easy

Speaking of which i have my eyes on the New Canon 100D, Which is well within your budget and it performes very similar to the 700D the only thing missing is that articulating LCD display but do gain a touch screen display which for me seems a bit easy

Its a bit of a dilemma to select a entry level dslr below 70k. Although 100D has a touch screen, in few other areas d3300 is better. May be those diffrences won't affect a bigginer like me. Edited by H.C

I've been using a D80 and D300s for the past 7 years. D300s has developed some system sw/hw issues so I bought a D3300 last month specifically for my wife so they have a camera when I travel. I can't say I've been impressed by the D3300 and would still pick the 7 year old D80 over it any day. It does serve it's purpose for my wife and it autofocuses with all new nikkor DX lenses, the quality at 24M is impressive and the HD video is something good to have.

But as kmeeg said, there are things about more robust and powerful cameras which makes the likes of D3300 feel like a prosumer camera rather than a proper DSLR. I got it in the US off Amazon for $398 body only so the investment is not bad, but I would still consider looking at a D7000 or a 700D if you got the cash.

If you're in the US/know someone there there's this great deal on 70D on ebay.

• Like 1

Its a bit of a dilemma to select a entry level dslr below 70k. Although 100D has a touch screen, in few other areas d3300 is better. May be those diffrences won't affect a bigginer like me.

i know this is different peoples perspective but for me canon cams devolop almost natural saturated pictures where i find Nikon is a bit more vivid compared to the natural image.

That small personal issue aside Nikon is more value for money

I've been using a D80 and D300s for the past 7 years. D300s has developed some system sw/hw issues so I bought a D3300 last month specifically for my wife so they have a camera when I travel. I can't say I've been impressed by the D3300 and would still pick the 7 year old D80 over it any day. It does serve it's purpose for my wife and it autofocuses with all new nikkor DX lenses, the quality at 24M is impressive and the HD video is something good to have.

But as kmeeg said, there are things about more robust and powerful cameras which makes the likes of D3300 feel like a prosumer camera rather than a proper DSLR. I got it in the US off Amazon for $398 body only so the investment is not bad, but I would still consider looking at a D7000 or a 700D if you got the cash.

If you're in the US/know someone there there's http://www.ebay.com/itm/300952734181'>this great deal on 70D on ebay.

j

Thanks mate. After listening to peri and you, l'll try to extend my budget a bit to go for a 700D.

H.C.,

Sorry I took the prices from Ph@toTe@hnica. I guess they are out dated.

BTW, I was saying about D7000. If you get a chance check for prices for that too and see if its within your budget. Since you are looking for little bit of wildlife D7000 would give you a faster focusing and you can increase iso to compensate the light loss from basic lenses.

Since cameras like d3300 does not come with focus motors focusing might be slower. D7000 would be the cheapest with a focus motor. Hope below video might help to understand what i was talking about;

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152865854801645&l=3118595503573660269'>https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152865854801645&l=3118595503573660269

But anyways I also own D3200 its a great camera. But for certain scenarios D3200 is not enough. So it might be a good idea to start with d3300 and if it really needed you can update. Also as Peri said try Canon too..

KMeeg.

No machan, can't access the link with my phone. D7000 is about 80k without lenses and its beyond my reach. At least l'll try for a 700D .

I am also struggling to make the decision of what to buy as my 1st DSLR. I got two options which are,

1. Canon EOS 700D Camera + 18-55mm STM, 55-250mm STM and 55mm Lens + Bag + Tripod for $1300
  2. Nikon D5500 Camera + 18-55mm, 55-200mm VRII Lens + Bag + Tripod for $1300

Any expert opinion here....

I am also struggling to make the decision of what to buy as my 1st DSLR. I got two options which are,
  1. Canon EOS 700D Camera + 18-55mm STM, 55-250mm STM and 55mm Lens + Bag + Tripod for $1300

For that price you may be able to get the 70D with one lens. In the the 70D you will get the top LCD and a few extra direct controls (this is the reason I decided on the 60D when I bought my camera) Once you get into the hobby, you can spend on a good lens thay you will find most suited for your needs than opting for a bundle option. Just my 2c

For that price you may be able to get the 70D with one lens. In the the 70D you will get the top LCD and a few extra direct controls (this is the reason I decided on the 60D when I bought my camera) Once you get into the hobby, you can spend on a good lens thay you will find most suited for your needs than opting for a bundle option. Just my 2c

+1 Hoonigan

If you check out the link I posted earlier, you can bag the 70D + 18-55 + the coveted 24-105 f/4 L for $1300++ (or you can get a couple of regular lenses instead of the L - all what you wanted) - a no brainer really.

Edited by vishkid