• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Dslr

malikweerasiri

thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, have you ordered any gear through eBay / Hong Kong? How was tax/vat/duties? I've ordered a few cheap parts from China and customs charges came to almost 40 - 50% price :(

No, I haven't. Actually, gotta try getting down something and seeing. I just got the card confirmed with paypal.

But won't the fact that its an EF-S lens be a draw back if you end up upgrading to a 5D or a 50D at some point?

A 50 is a crop sensor dude :) I'm ok with EF-S up to 7D. And I've already said it, I really don't plan on going full frame. You know, unless this wedding stuff starts making me some serious money :D

In my experience the local customs, especially at the central post office seems to be quite moody and not really on set values...

Once i got a fishing lure bought on ebay and shipped from us...total cost to me with shipping war about rs3000 and i got taxed for rs.1100.

On another occasion i got the same type of lure but instead of just one, i bought 6 :D shipped from US yet again and won on ebay.... Only this time i got taxed some 300 odd rupees.. :D

quite weird system they have there...

and sometimes i've not been taxed at all :D... once i bought this massive fishing reel in used condition off ebay, it was in excellent mechanical shape but looked filthy. and the customs bloke didn't even wanted to look at it... He just wrote "free" on that customs release form thingy and asked me to take the damn thing and bugger off :) :)

suppose it also depends on the customs guys' mood at the time...

A 50 is a crop sensor dude :) I'm ok with EF-S up to 7D. And I've already said it, I really don't plan on going full frame. You know, unless this wedding stuff starts making me some serious money :D

lol! So it is! I stand corrected. I thought the 50D was a full frame based purely on its size. My bad.

Edited by Kavvz

No, I haven't. Actually, gotta try getting down something and seeing. I just got the card confirmed with paypal.

Know any local weddings coming up? I need to do some practice of wedding photography.

Know any local weddings coming up? I need to do some practice of wedding photography.

You wanna crash a wedding to practice photography? :) Just go hang out at on the 5 star hotels. Wear a suit :D

Unless some kind soul on AL is getting married and wants to send out an invite :D

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone finally I bought a camera.I didn't buy the sx10 as planned .Instead I bought a nikon D 3000 which came with two lenses nikkor 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR .Paid $599 .Thank you all of you for helping.Looking forward your help for the future also.Thanks again all of you are doing a great service here.

Malik

hello everyone finally I bought a camera.I didn't buy the sx10 as planned .Instead I bought a nikon D 3000 which came with two lenses nikkor 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR .Paid $599 .Thank you all of you for helping.Looking forward your help for the future also.Thanks again all of you are doing a great service here.

Malik

congrats on your buy mate! :)

Nice time to revive this thread. :)

Not heard much about the D3000. But the 200mm, imho, will be a little short for wildlife. Unless your lucky and get close like this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tharendra/3163252698/

Also, I just picked up the 15-85 this morn. And I'm loving it so far :D Will put it to a stern test tonight, company dinner dance.

HI Peri,

you are correct about the 55-200mm lens but as I have a very long learning curve I think I will be alright with this combination for sometime.Any how I am very happy because when I accidentally found this forum I was hunting for a P&S .Because of your forum and there after sites like DCRP I was able to buy myself a DSLR.Hurrah for the Internet.

Malik

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for diging up an old thread. but i need the experts view on this. im planing to buy a sony cybershot w210 p&s cam for my sister as present. price is close to 25k with 1 GB memory card ( 6 months warrenty ). But the cam is made in China..

I would like to know is it worth for the price ? what are the similar modles other brands having and the price. :)

W210 is not listed on Amazon or dpreview. Only brit sites seem to feature it. The W220 seems to have the same feature set, and costs $150 approx.

I dunno about the other brands, but I'd say the SX120 IS, $199 on amazon with a 4 gb card. Also 10x zoom in the same compact form factor. Also, advantage of normal AA batteries. Much better option than picking up some tiny 3x-4x zoom model.

But if you want choice - http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_...rnid=1248877011

W210 is not listed on Amazon or dpreview. Only brit sites seem to feature it. The W220 seems to have the same feature set, and costs $150 approx.

I dunno about the other brands, but I'd say the SX120 IS, $199 on amazon with a 4 gb card. Also 10x zoom in the same compact form factor. Also, advantage of normal AA batteries. Much better option than picking up some tiny 3x-4x zoom model.

But if you want choice - http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_...rnid=1248877011

Peri thanks for the quick reply. Any good place i can buy a decent cam for around 20-25 k?

Peri thanks for the quick reply. Any good place i can buy a decent cam for around 20-25 k?

(Hope you don't mind me answering), may I recommend you try Metropolitan / Canon?

You can pick up the canon A480 with warranty for about 23k or so.

It is an excellent camera and I've got some remarkable results form it.

@peri: speaking of canon...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/845602

Please do share some images from the 15-85. I'd particularly love to see a raw-converted 100% test image :)

Edited by Saturn

Finally got my hands on the 5D mkii. I also bought a 17-40 for landscape work. I was using the 24-105 f/4L on my 40D, quite awkward focal length on that crop sensor, it makes so much sense now on the FF. Hey Peri, I know its kind of early in the day but will you be there at the N'eliya hill climbs?

Finally got my hands on the 5D mkii. I also bought a 17-40 for landscape work. I was using the 24-105 f/4L on my 40D, quite awkward focal length on that crop sensor, it makes so much sense now on the FF. Hey Peri, I know its kind of early in the day but will you be there at the N'eliya hill climbs?

adey congrats dude! so you took the plunge on the mkII :)

Finally got my hands on the 5D mkii. I also bought a 17-40 for landscape work. I was using the 24-105 f/4L on my 40D, quite awkward focal length on that crop sensor, it makes so much sense now on the FF.

Sheer awesomeness!! Don't tell me your company footed the bill ;)

• Like 1

If you can figure out the model you want, Nastars and that place in MC (Since Panama should be no more). Metropolitan, and photo-technica. But your cheapest, best option is to get from the US. But that means waiting.

@peri: speaking of canon...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/845602

Please do share some images from the 15-85. I'd particularly love to see a raw-converted 100% test image :)

Interesting link. :) The SLAS Awards pics in the gallery are completely the 15-85.

http://autolanka.fotopic.net/c1792521.html

The wide end looks like this

http://autolanka.fotopic.net/p62529482.html

The colors look like this

http://autolanka.fotopic.net/p62529485.html

But I wasn't shooting RAW. I'll put something up sometime. :)

Funky. But you might need a better zoom for the Hill Climbs :) I'm not sure I can make it, I want to try and come for at least one this time. Will see how it works out.

adey congrats dude! so you took the plunge on the mkII :)

yeah buddy, the 1.3x crop started bugging me too much and this way I can get more for my money.

Sheer awesomeness!! Don't tell me your company footed the bill ;)

Not a chance! :-)

Funky. But you might need a better zoom for the Hill Climbs :) I'm not sure I can make it, I want to try and come for at least one this time. Will see how it works out.

I already have the 70-200 for that. Try and come mate!

Whoa! you have a 70-200 2.8L on a 5D mark2 ? No kidding? Okay, that's a pretty formidable piece of kit there man... NICE!

It's actually 70-200 f/4 kavvz, but have my eyes on a f/2.8. A trade in for my current lens. and thank you.

• 1 year later...

Hey chaps. Anyone coming down from the States that can bring a camera bag for me? Need an upgrade.

aaah...the canon bag gave up?

i'm so dissapointed in mine....will never buy canon branded bags ever again :)

Not given up, but close to it. One of the seams has separated about two inches. The current weight IS quite a lot. I'm still actually very happy with it :) The only things that have broken are the seam separation, a broken tab on a zipper, and the buckle on the sternum strap that broke coz I stepped on it. Considering I paid only 3k yonks ago, its done damn well.

Anyway, I'd get it stitched and keep going, but I'm expecting an equipment upgrade by the end of the year. Should add about 1.5Kg in weight to the bag. So new one needed. Still debating a Think Tank Street Walker Hard Drive (Shak has on, its damn good stuff) and a Kata 3in1 33.

You boys should go lowepro! They got bags of various sizes, styles and oparational styles (sling shot, flipside etc) to suit whatever kinda usage.

I use a flipside 400AW. lots of space and VERY easy to use when on the move.

You boys should go lowepro! They got bags of various sizes, styles and oparational styles (sling shot, flipside etc) to suit whatever kinda usage.

I use a flipside 400AW. lots of space and VERY easy to use when on the move.

I'm looking at something more like the fastpack than the flipside. Either that, or go for the over-engineered Benz of the bag word, Think Tank ;)

Or the Clik Elite Pro. Now THAT has capacity.

Edited by Pericles