• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Dslr

malikweerasiri

I am hoping to buy a canon eos rebel xt or a xs or a xsi .can some one instruct me which one is better as i don't have a big photographic knowledge. one other thing is all of these 3 models come with a 18-55mm ef lens.Is it a reasonable lens?i am currently using a canon powershot film camera and feeling the deficiencies of A P&S.I like to travel lot and enjoy wild life very much .will 18-55mm lens suit my interests

Edited by malikweerasiri

I think without any brand or model debate, it is quite safe to say, no the 18-55 will not do for wildlife. Unless you just want pictures of elephants, that it :)

Small note, the XT will probably come with the old EF-S 18-55 where the XS and XSi will come with the new EF-S 18-55 IS.

The stuff I've said in the thread that Dev has pointed out is still valid, just needs some updates on the models recommended :) Right now, I would suggest a SX20 IS for you.

Oh, ranking on the cams you wanted

Best - XSi

middle - XS

less - XT

I think the XS and XTi might be about on par, but the better processor on the XS should give it the edge.

I think without any brand or model debate, it is quite safe to say, no the 18-55 will not do for wildlife. Unless you just want pictures of elephants, that it :)

Small note, the XT will probably come with the old EF-S 18-55 where the XS and XSi will come with the new EF-S 18-55 IS.

The stuff I've said in the thread that Dev has pointed out is still valid, just needs some updates on the models recommended :) Right now, I would suggest a SX20 IS for you.

Oh, ranking on the cams you wanted

Best - XSi

middle - XS

less - XT

I think the XS and XTi might be about on par, but the better processor on the XS should give it the edge.

Thank you for your quick reply I think your suggetion is a good one .but all the time i have been looking at sx10 .is there a big difference between sx10 and sx20?because i read one review which says sx 10 is better

Thank you for your quick reply I think your suggetion is a good one .but all the time i have been looking at sx10 .is there a big difference between sx10 and sx20?because i read one review which says sx 10 is better

Well, just the specs say its identical except for the higher res, and HD movie capacity. Not much of a price difference tho. You might be right on the image quality being better on the SX10, due to lower pixel density. SX10 seems like a good choice.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_po...is&show=all

I am hoping to buy a canon eos rebel xt or a xs or a xsi .can some one instruct me which one is better as i don't have a big photographic knowledge. one other thing is all of these 3 models come with a 18-55mm ef lens.Is it a reasonable lens?i am currently using a canon powershot film camera and feeling the deficiencies of A P&S.I like to travel lot and enjoy wild life very much .will 18-55mm lens suit my interests

wow.. seeing that old post Devinda linked was quite a trip down memory lane.

back to your question..

I would recommend the XS or XSI. Depends on what you want.

with the 18-55, make sure you get the 18-55 IS (Image stabilized)

the older non IS version isn't so good.

The 18-55 is a good lens.

Re: photographing wildlife, you should get a zoom lens - I recommend the 55-250 lens (around 35k at metropolitan?) - those two lenses and the camera should be fine..

Just one thing I must point out is - you may not need a dSLR - you may be just fine upgrading to a good point and shoot.

Personally, I have multiple dslr's and lenses, but I use a simple pocket point and shoot camera for most photos as it is quite flexible, portable, and with practice you can get good shots.

One thing you could consider is buying a cheap used dSLR - you can pick up a used one for around 40k with the 18-55 IS (I think) add another 35k for the 55-250 and you should be set.

I just saw your post about the SX10 / SX20 - those are pretty neat cameras

If you don't mind me asking, what camera do you currently use, and what shortcomings does it have?

Edited by Saturn

wow.. seeing that old post Devinda linked was quite a trip down memory lane.

back to your question..

I would recommend the XS or XSI. Depends on what you want.

with the 18-55, make sure you get the 18-55 IS (Image stabilized)

the older non IS version isn't so good.

The 18-55 is a good lens.

Re: photographing wildlife, you should get a zoom lens - I recommend the 55-250 lens (around 35k at metropolitan?) - those two lenses and the camera should be fine..

Just one thing I must point out is - you may not need a dSLR - you may be just fine upgrading to a good point and shoot.

Personally, I have multiple dslr's and lenses, but I use a simple pocket point and shoot camera for most photos as it is quite flexible, portable, and with practice you can get good shots.

One thing you could consider is buying a cheap used dSLR - you can pick up a used one for around 40k with the 18-55 IS (I think) add another 35k for the 55-250 and you should be set.

I just saw your post about the SX10 / SX20 - those are pretty neat cameras

If you don't mind me asking, what camera do you currently use, and what shortcomings does it have?

Thank you for your thoughts.I am still thinking whether to buy a dslr or sx10is.because i can get a sx10 for about 38k from oman.some of my friends have suggested a used dslr also.thing is i use a small film camera(canon sure shot 76) and really fed up with it because one has to print photos and it is very cumbersome when you compared to a digital camera.And i travel considerably and frustated most of the time due to the restricted nature of my camera. Initially i thought of buying a sx10 and move onto a dslr after another year or so.But when i saw the price of sx10 i kind of change my mind because it seems if i spend another 30k i might get that elusive dslr for which i have been dreaming for a long time.There is a special promotion also which says you can buy a xs+18-55is lens+55-300mm lens for 699$.As YOU SAY A GOOD P&S MIGHT SUIT ME BETTER THAN A DSLR because i have two small kids with whom it might not easy to carry a dslr.one thing bothering me to buy a sx10 is that one of my friends' is using a sx 10 and she is not satisfied with it. she is in face book as sarala gamage if you can visit her site you can see her photos.i WOULD VALUE YOUR COMMNTS AFTER SEEING THEM.one other thing is if you know someone who is willing to sell his camera i might be intereted.kit

Edited by malikweerasiri

Thank you for your thoughts.I am still thinking whether to buy a dslr or sx10is.because i can get a sx10 for about 38k from oman.some of my friends have suggested a used dslr also.thing is i use a small film camera(canon sure shot 76) and really fed up with it because one has to print photos and it is very cumbersome when you compared to a digital camera.And i travel considerably and frustated most of the time due to the restricted nature of my camera. Initially i thought of buying a sx10 and move onto a dslr after another year or so.But when i saw the price of sx10 i kind of change my mind because it seems if i spend another 30k i might get that elusive dslr for which i have been dreaming for a long time.There is a special promotion also which says you can buy a xs+18-55is lens+55-300mm lens for 699$.As YOU SAY A GOOD P&S MIGHT SUIT ME BETTER THAN A DSLR because i have two small kids with whom it might not easy to carry a dslr.one thing bothering me to buy a sx10 is that one of my friends' is using a sx 10 and she is not satisfied with it. she is in face book as sarala gamage if you can visit her site you can see her photos.i WOULD VALUE YOUR COMMNTS AFTER SEEING THEM.one other thing is if you know someone who is willing to sell his camera i might be intereted.kit

well mate... checked your friends flickr page... hope it's the same person we're talking about here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36652898@N05/

she's got some neat pics there but naturally a DSLR will give you more control over the whole process of taking pics over a p&s...even an advanced p&s

but a p&s is a lot easier to not only carry around but also to take pics with provided that you're ok with no having more control over the process...

my bro has a 400d with two lenses but he hardly use the full capacity of that camera and he's quite ok with...He would have been quite happy with a p&s i think but he wanted to see the dslr wide of things and bought into one...

I used to have a small p&s but lost it to the sea after a trip and gotta say carrying around a dslr to take pics all the time aint easy...espcially when you have to baby sit your kids and also the camera...

So i would say if you prefer taking photography a lot more seriously...go for a dslr... you wont regret it... i certainly haven't :)

If you just gonna be shooting the odd pics here and there, lot more family sorta pics and maybe want to retain the ability to do a bit of advanced on the side, an advanced p&s might suit you better...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=canon+sx10...10_is&s=int

that's what the sx10 is capable of, in the right hands at the right time of course :)

my 2 cents :)

well mate... checked your friends flickr page... hope it's the same person we're talking about here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36652898@N05/

she's got some neat pics there but naturally a DSLR will give you more control over the whole process of taking pics over a p&s...even an advanced p&s

but a p&s is a lot easier to not only carry around but also to take pics with provided that you're ok with no having more control over the process...

my bro has a 400d with two lenses but he hardly use the full capacity of that camera and he's quite ok with...He would have been quite happy with a p&s i think but he wanted to see the dslr wide of things and bought into one...

I used to have a small p&s but lost it to the sea after a trip and gotta say carrying around a dslr to take pics all the time aint easy...espcially when you have to baby sit your kids and also the camera...

So i would say if you prefer taking photography a lot more seriously...go for a dslr... you wont regret it... i certainly haven't :)

If you just gonna be shooting the odd pics here and there, lot more family sorta pics and maybe want to retain the ability to do a bit of advanced on the side, an advanced p&s might suit you better...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=canon+sx10...10_is&s=int

that's what the sx10 is capable of, in the right hands at the right time of course :)

my 2 cents :)

Thank you .yes it is my friends photos.I will let you know future developments.kit

I have a few observations:

1. Modern cameras are good. Any modern Canon camera for example (I mention Canon because I use canon's) can take good photos, even pocket cameras - 70% of good photography is skill, the remaining could probably be put down to gear. Getting a good camera does not guarantee good photos. Even the best DSLR's / Lenses can be used to make bad photos (trust me, I've tried and succeeded)

2. Try out any camera, before you buy it. If you are interested in Canon you can always visit metropolitan.

3. Have you decided what features/capabilities you want? when you mention restricted nature of your camera - can you elaborate which features specifically hold you back?

4. Try reading up about the cameras you are interested in. Kenrockwell.com is a useful source of info

OT gentlemen,

but i've got an odd question - i don't know much about photography,so hence this query - is there a camera/lense that would enable one to capture the same kind of scope (width) the human range of vision does?

...was staring at a gorgeous view on the north eastern coast of SL and was trying to take it all up and noticed a more than a few ppl try to capture the view with all kindsa P&S digi cams,but fail miserably of getting the entire view

is there any way of getting that kind of a panoramic landscape oriented view on camera? eg : a bay or coast line spanning a few km's , being viewed from a height lets say?

:huh:

Edited by Devinda_Z

Gtot an exam in 7 hours and i gotta catch some sleep too, but couldnt resist replying.

I know what you mean dev! You get lots of people going on trips coming back and describing what beautiful landscapes they saw, and yet when they show you a photo they took using most P&Ss (and at worst a Camera phone) and you think "HUH? thats it?" To me shooting landscapes is one of the hardest things to do. And like you say capturing the entire sight isnt easy. You need to go REALLY wide(angle), and thats expensive and still also has its limits. What I do most of the time is use a subject (say a tree/person) closer to the camera and then capture the background to merely complement the main subject. That gives the viewer a sense of scale on the distance/size of things... This is all personal opinion/preference, so feel free to disagree. :) Couple of such shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dileshw/37175...57616647411562/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dileshw/37544...57616647411562/

The best solution is to take multiple shots and merge them all together, which at most times give a decent result as long as the view is static. I've tried a few of those and they come out pretty ok. But still it just doesnt capture the real thing's full magnitude. This is a merge of 2 photos btw.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dileshw/31160...57616647411562/

The best solution is to take multiple shots and merge them all together,

I have a very basic Nikkon Cool Pix 3200 and it has the "Panorama Assist" function which can be used to merge multiple shots. Best result are when used with a tripod. :) has been very useful when taking big groupe phots in my family. :D BTW Dilesh nice pics you got there.

but i've got an odd question - i don't know much about photography,so hence this query - is there a camera/lense that would enable one to capture the same kind of scope (width) the human range of vision does?

Technically the lens that covers the human field of vision is 35mm on a full frame sensor :) But humans move their eyes and heads and the brain puts together a large picture.

Thats why the 35mm is the standard. It let photogs capture just what they see.

Technically the lens that covers the human field of vision is 35mm on a full frame sensor :) But humans move their eyes and heads and the brain puts together a large picture.

there is a used nikon d70 is for sale with the kit lens. asking price is 60k. it it bit too much isn't it

there is a used nikon d70 is for sale with the kit lens. asking price is 60k. it it bit too much isn't it

Oh Yes..and if anyone of you wanna import goahead anddo so..but only via ebay! the tax is just 60%(max) for Photographic material..usually its 20%..andyou know whot I got one passed customs for free!!(without any tax)..ifyou wanna knowhow!!!PMme. :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048:

Belated birthday wishes Peri!

Re: human field of vision, I think that's 50mm on full frame and 35 on 1.6x crop.

Devinda_Z: you are probably looking to capture wide / ultra wide angle

different ways to go about this:

Full frame dSLR - 17mm or wider lenses (e.g. 17-40)

Crop sensor dSLR - 18mm is the widest most lenses go - if you want more you'd probably have to get a 10 or 12mm zoom - various companies make them (canon, nikon, tokina, tamron, etc(

you can also consider a fisheye - expensive ones go for about $500 upwards

you can get a cheap fisheye like the peleng 8mm and use software to correct the image

Pocket camera (and even dSLR's) - there are wideangle converters/adapters but these don't always give the best results - YMMV - try ask dilesh about this topic as he uses a good one I think.

Peri, here's something funny you may like:

(ps: lyrics may be NSFW)

Edited by Saturn

Belated birthday wishes Peri!

Re: human field of vision, I think that's 50mm on full frame and 35 on 1.6x crop.

Devinda_Z: you are probably looking to capture wide / ultra wide angle

different ways to go about this:

Full frame dSLR - 17mm or wider lenses (e.g. 17-40)

Crop sensor dSLR - 18mm is the widest most lenses go - if you want more you'd probably have to get a 10 or 12mm zoom - various companies make them (canon, nikon, tokina, tamron, etc(

you can also consider a fisheye - expensive ones go for about $500 upwards

you can get a cheap fisheye like the peleng 8mm and use software to correct the image

Pocket camera (and even dSLR's) - there are wideangle converters/adapters but these don't always give the best results - YMMV - try ask dilesh about this topic as he uses a good one I think.

Peri, here's something funny you may like:

(ps: lyrics may be NSFW)

Thank you :)

18 is standard, but from Canon there is

EF 17-40mm f4L (With any luck, will manage to get one this year) - approx $700

EF-S 15-85mm approx $700-$730 (to say tempting is an understatement, look at this review! http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews...ns-Review.aspx)

EF-S 10-22mm approx $700-$730

Then the Tammys staring at 17, like the 17-50mm f2.8 around $350-$450

Sigma 10-20mm $450-$500

Of course, if you wanna splurge there is the

EF 16-35mm f2.8L near as makes no difference $1500

The widest prime I have found from Canon was the EF 14mm f2.8L which is <gulp> nearly $2000!

Then I found this interesting little thing....

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Aspherical-Fi...d=3B9YQO8JDKBBU

Opteka 6.5mm f/3.5 Manual Focus Aspherical Fisheye Lens for Canon EOS 50D, 40D, 5D, 1Ds, 1D, T1i, XSi, XS, and XTi Digital SLR Cameras - $289

If you're on a tight budget like me a converter is the best option to go for. But it has its glitches. 1- drop in sharpness 2- vignetting at corners. I use a pretty 'budget' converter i got on ebay (set of .5x converter + 2x converter cost around USD55). The drop sharpness is negligible but the vignette becomes a issue at the wide end. fitted on the 18-55 kit lens if you try to shoot anything less than 20-22mm you start to suffer (http://autolanka.fotopic.net/p52122402.html) note the corners in this. Sometimes if i really want to go wide i just do it and then fix it in PP, else i try to stick above 20mm. You can get a relatively more expensive converter which has a even bigger outer diameter which doesnt give any vignette. But those are quite heavy too, which brings me to my concern over using converters.

The converter is more or less one big block of glass, hence its nearly as heavy as the kit lens itself. Personally I'm a huge fan at shooting wide-angle shots. So my kit-lens is more or less permanently fitted with the converter. And with time the converter has taken its toll on the lens. I could sometimes hear the AF-motor squeek a a bit too loud for comfort. I fear it may just die out someday soon. But I still love shooting wide (if you've been through my photostream you'd have noticed already) . It captures action shots and even emotions so much better.

But ideally, the best would be to go for one of'em 10-22mm lenses.

Edited by Dilesh

Malik dude, if you want help on this, you'll have to turn your PM system on. No good asking questions and having the system turned off coz I can't reply.

Thanks to the results of research caused by this thread, I'm gonna put the 17-40 on the shelf and go with the 15-85. Cross my fingers and hope :)

Malik dude, if you want help on this, you'll have to turn your PM system on. No good asking questions and having the system turned off coz I can't reply.

Thanks to the results of research caused by this thread, I'm gonna put the 17-40 on the shelf and go with the 15-85. Cross my fingers and hope :)

wait.. you are going to get the 15-85 instead of the 17-40?

hm. I must say I'm surprised

I've considered both lenses - I can say the 15-85 is an excellent lens, with pro'ish build/quality and cool stuff like USM etc

but the 17-40 is a pro lens

Looking at the examples on the review you posted, 15mm to 18mm isn't much of a difference.

If you don't mind me asking, what factors are causing you to consider the 15-85 ahead of the 17-40

also, how do you intend to purchase it? (direct import, via agent etc)

for wideangle, have you considered the canon 10-20

also, tamron's 12-24 is quite a good lens according to reviews, and can be got for around 499 or so I think.

btw, Metropolitan were quoting a pretty decent price for the 15-85 - do check with them before you buy

Edited by Saturn

wait.. you are going to get the 15-85 instead of the 17-40?

hm. I must say I'm surprised

I've considered both lenses - I can say the 15-85 is an excellent lens, with pro'ish build/quality and cool stuff like USM etc

but the 17-40 is a pro lens

Looking at the examples on the review you posted, 15mm to 18mm isn't much of a difference.

If you don't mind me asking, what factors are causing you to consider the 15-85 ahead of the 17-40

also, how do you intend to purchase it? (direct import, via agent etc)

for wideangle, have you considered the canon 10-20

also, tamron's 12-24 is quite a good lens according to reviews, and can be got for around 499 or so I think.

btw, Metropolitan were quoting a pretty decent price for the 15-85 - do check with them before you buy

This is again a what seems right for me, my needs decision. What I wanted was a general wide for weddings, parties, etc. Not just a wide angle, I'm not a "wide angle for the artistry" fan of wides. (Dev is the one with the questions on wide) 10-22 would be fun, but not practical. Thought about going for another 18-55, but decided to go for more reliability. Hence 17-40, not the 17-85 or 17-55 f2.8. Also why I dropped the Tammy 17-50 f2.8 idea. 17-40 at that price point with the combo of IQ/sharpness/colour seemed best. But I was compromising on the range. Even with the 18-55, you always could use a little more zoom. I can switch lens, but its a hassle. Not to mention the only times I use wide is for weddings and parties, and I don't want to collect on that end. My interests (birds, wildlife, motorsports) tend to need more zoom, so I'll collect at that end. Not the wides. So the more I can cover the whole range of wide applications with one lens, the better. And I forgot, wide needs to do car shows too. I can't be bothered dropping $700 for a 10-22 just to do car shows, even if that will be much more interesting :)

So 15-85. reviews say, excellent sharpness and color. decent low light perf and focusing. Good build quality. Add IS and USM with FTM focus. Couple more ticks width and lots more length. I'll mostly be using with a 430EX II, so the aperture stopping shouldn't bother me too much. I was hoping that 3.5-5.6 spread out over 15-85 means that when I get to 40 I'd still be able to get f4 and therefore not loose much, but looks like that won't be the case. C'est la vie :) I still have to option of getting f4 at 55mm by putting on the 55-250 :)

I think I will check with Metro. The contact you gave me should be able to handle it, right? If its ok, I might go thru agents coz of the warranty. Little more peace of mind since I'm not going L. Or e-bay thru Hong Kong, directly shipped here. Waiting for Madmax to come down again might take some time.

This is again a what seems right for me, my needs decision.

thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, have you ordered any gear through eBay / Hong Kong? How was tax/vat/duties? I've ordered a few cheap parts from China and customs charges came to almost 40 - 50% price :(

So 15-85. reviews say, excellent sharpness and color. decent low light perf and focusing. Good build quality. Add IS and USM with FTM focus. Couple more ticks width and lots more length. I'll mostly be using with a 430EX II, so the aperture stopping shouldn't bother me too much. I was hoping that 3.5-5.6 spread out over 15-85 means that when I get to 40 I'd still be able to get f4 and therefore not loose much, but looks like that won't be the case. C'est la vie :) I still have to option of getting f4 at 55mm by putting on the 55-250 :)

I think I will check with Metro. The contact you gave me should be able to handle it, right? If its ok, I might go thru agents coz of the warranty. Little more peace of mind since I'm not going L. Or e-bay thru Hong Kong, directly shipped here. Waiting for Madmax to come down again might take some time.

But won't the fact that its an EF-S lens be a draw back if you end up upgrading to a 5D or a 50D at some point?

Edited by Kavvz