• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

(possibly False) Rumors About A Strike?

Saturn

People are forwarding me messages that suggests there will be some sort of strike tomorrow and no electricity/water

is there any truth to this?

Well its a known fact that there probably will be a Work to Rule campaign by the CPC unions tomorrow and the next two days. NOT a strike of course, but there probably will be shortages. During the previous shortage the CEB and Water unions pledged that they would support any later action by the CPC. So there were fears of blackouts and such. Dunno what the new situ is now.

UPDATE: just got a text saying CPC buggers have been given a wage increase effective immediately to be paid in jan. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

UPDATE: just got a text saying CPC buggers have been given a wage increase effective immediately to be paid in jan. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

damn!...i just topped up before seeing this... :(

oh well...lol...atleast the petrol aint gonna run away :lol:

Also got a news update saying that they are not accepting the 22% wage increase and are going ahead with the 'work to rule' thing from tomorrow onwards

What exactly they want anyway? Just put the Military personal to operate the CPC and rest of the organizations.. this is going way too far it seems.. :angry-smiley-024:

Edited by Ruslan

Also got a news update saying that they are not accepting the 22% wage increase and are going ahead with the 'work to rule' thing from tomorrow onwards

I have no grudge against any Govt servant (my father and currently my bro work in Govt institute) but for me a work to rule would mean a no work at all. So its better to play it safe in these situations and be ready come what may. I went to Nawala to pump petrol and had to turn back because they were out, then went towards Nugegoda to find the same. Finally went to Pita Kotte and pumped after staying in a que for about half an hour.

I actually had faith in the Govt to sort out the situation (because of the looming elections), but it seems that the Govt servants want more.

naturally these are with broader political agendas and not merely to get a pay rise... chances are the union leaders must've been promised far better "deals" by certain parties to ensure te mayhem continues...

many private company people have been working their butts off during these past few years, fighting global and local financial difficulties and would be over the moon with 20+% pay hike.. but not these incompetent government workers! they want more for doing less!

This JVP lot is the most unproductive lot I've ever seen. they've being already unproductive and advise others to be unproductive as well. in recent Moratuwa uni has won a international award. i think the reason behind is that they are not plagued with these JVP buggers unlike other Unis in the island.

Edited by Ruslan

also, how the HECK is the govt gonna be able to afford such a hike?? I mean there are over 100 ministries taking all the cash... Looks like its gonna be petrol up then.. :angry:

naturally these are with broader political agendas and not merely to get a pay rise... chances are the union leaders must've been promised far better "deals" by certain parties to ensure te mayhem continues...

actually it is because the government adopted a similar strategy during the last work to rule campaign that there's another one looming.

mr. chinthanaya last time around only had discussions with the SLFP TU and has given the SLFP TU leader a promotion and a payhike to shut up and put up.

i'm not in a position to comment weather these government servants deserve a pay hike. but the story goes that they demanded an increment about a year ago and was told to wait till the war is over. now its been almost half a year since the war has come to an end but the government has not kept their end of the bargain.

What these morons in unions dont understand is that by their actions it is the general public who they punish and not directly the government hot shots who have ample fuel to go around. Im sure any direct impact on the public has an indirect impact on the government, but the gist is that it is us, the common folk who have to suffer.

The significant monopolies these government institutions have in this country enable them to punch around the public (their customers) and hold them ransom to achieve what ever demands they have, which are sometimes unreasonable. Whilst many of us in the private sector has to work our b*tts off even sacrifising bonuses and increments over the last year and still get tarnished by these so called public workers even for the slightest of misjudgements made! :angry-smiley-024:

Im not against government servants, as my dad is a senior government servants and so are some of my relatives and friends, but what i am saying is that there should be national contingency policy to counter these unreasonable strikes that are meant to disrupt day to day activities of the common man. Like mentioned in the forum training military personnel to take over these operations during such a crisis as done in many other countries sounds very practical. Some might argue about the fundermental workers rights, but what about the fundermental rights of the general public to be seved the basic utilities that they already pay a premium for!!!! :violent-smiley-099:

What these morons in unions dont understand is that by their actions it is the general public who they punish and not directly the government hot shots who have ample fuel to go around. Im sure any direct impact on the public has an indirect impact on the government, but the gist is that it is us, the common folk who have to suffer.

The significant monopolies these government institutions have in this country enable them to punch around the public (their customers) and hold them ransom to achieve what ever demands they have, which are sometimes unreasonable. Whilst many of us in the private sector has to work our b*tts off even sacrifising bonuses and increments over the last year and still get tarnished by these so called public workers even for the slightest of misjudgements made! :angry-smiley-024:

Im not against government servants, as my dad is a senior government servants and so are some of my relatives and friends, but what i am saying is that there should be national contingency policy to counter these unreasonable strikes that are meant to disrupt day to day activities of the common man. Like mentioned in the forum training military personnel to take over these operations during such a crisis as done in many other countries sounds very practical. Some might argue about the fundermental workers rights, but what about the fundermental rights of the general public to be seved the basic utilities that they already pay a premium for!!!! :violent-smiley-099:

double ditto that mate...fully with you!!!

machang i am totally with you in regards to the common man getting battered in situations like this. lets take a look at things from their (TU's) point of view for a minute. they didn't simply jumped into a trade union action. they've been making a rant about it for some time now. but unfortunately it felt on deaf ears. when it was chinthanaya's time to get involved what did he do, he only had talks with people who are in favor of him (and what a slap in the face is it for the CPC TU to have discussions with PB Jayasundara the architect behind the sale of CPC's bunkering facility to a private firm) . this situation aggregated to where it is now due to the governments inability to tackle things in an efficient diplomatic manner. this is yet another example of how incapable this regime is in managing its resources. if this is the only way to make them come out of their glass rooms and open their eyes then so be it....

what about the fundermental rights of the general public to be seved the basic utilities that they already pay a premium for!!!!

because who's actions/faults is it that we are paying a premium for? trade unions?????

many private company people have been working their butts off during these past few years, fighting global and local financial difficulties and would be over the moon with 20+% pay hike.. but not these incompetent government workers! they want more for doing less!

+1 dude.

I Agree 100% on this. I dont think these people deserve this much of a pay hike, these people are some of the most unproductive groupe of sri lankans I have ever seen.

Honestly speaking with greedy crooks like PB heading the treasury and Govt spending as high as it is - can you blame these workers? Majority of them are probably from the lower to middle class and wage rates must be low as it is- and repeatedly the Govt has made promises that have not been kept

This is what lankaenews says...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stocks not enough; severe fuel crisis ahead

(Lanka-e-News, Nov.11, 2009, 8.00PM) The Workers’ Unions which are on a work to rule from today jointly told Lanka e news that as the Kolonnawa storage terminal has not stocked enough fuel and there is n’t sufficient petrol, diesel and kerosene oil, an acute fuel crisis can be precipitated during the next two to three days.

The spokesman for the Unions said, because of the panic buying and stocking of fuel to beat the strike in the last two days, the dwindling stocks at the storage terminal as well as the neglect of duties due to the work to rule have taken toll of the normal functions. The maximum supply that could be given by the Petroleum main storage terminal today was only for 30 Bowzers.

As the Port workers are also on a work to rule in the next two to three days even if a consignment of oil arrives at the Port, there wont be any pumping of fuel done to Kolonnawa or Muthuraja. Consequently, a severe shortage of fuel throughout the Island can eventuate.

In 2003, in the Corporation‘s renewed agreement the CPC must always have at least three months stocks of fuel in advance, but this has not been followed. The Corporation has neglected this main requirement, it is revealed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Lanka-e-News, Nov.11, 2009, 8.00PM) The Workers’ Unions which are on a work to rule from today jointly told Lanka e news that as the Kolonnawa storage terminal has not stocked enough fuel and there is n’t sufficient petrol, diesel and kerosene oil, an acute fuel crisis can be precipitated during the next two to three days.

The spokesman for the Unions said, because of the panic buying and stocking of fuel to beat the strike in the last two days, the dwindling stocks at the storage terminal as well as the neglect of duties due to the work to rule have taken toll of the normal functions. The maximum supply that could be given by the Petroleum main storage terminal today was only for 30 Bowzers.

As the Port workers are also on a work to rule in the next two to three days even if a consignment of oil arrives at the Port, there wont be any pumping of fuel done to Kolonnawa or Muthuraja. Consequently, a severe shortage of fuel throughout the Island can eventuate.

In 2003, in the Corporation‘s renewed agreement the CPC must always have at least three months stocks of fuel in advance, but this has not been followed. The Corporation has neglected this main requirement, it is revealed.

Hmmm.. it's more like indirect threatening saying "without us it's impossible even if the government put Military to continue operations at CPC"

I'd take "lankaenews" with a grain of salt, AFAIK they are the online arm of the "lanka" paper, which is both rabidly pro JVP and has no qualms in "modifying" news to fit the JVP agenda.

Looking at the sheds this morning they all seem to be operational and well stocked. Of course this situ might change but im inclined to think it will be all right.

Honestly speaking with greedy crooks like PB heading the treasury and Govt spending as high as it is - can you blame these workers? Majority of them are probably from the lower to middle class and wage rates must be low as it is- and repeatedly the Govt has made promises that have not been kept

As per Gov. News minimum wage now they are geting is around Rs.35,000. I don't know how far it is true. Don't know how mach the labour level staff get paid. But in that case there are so many other groups in Gov. service like teachers, nurses, etc get less than that.

But the way Gov manage the situ is that keep on ignoring them so that civil society it self go start blaming the strikers and oposition. However the strategy worked so far for Gov, as no strong leadership from opposition and people know this is how JVP survive in the country.

As per Gov. News minimum wage now they are geting is around Rs.35,000.

I feel like a change of career. Look at the perks. You get to travel all over the country hauling fuel. And most other vehicles on the road would avoid you coz no one wants to collide with a bomb on wheels. :D