• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Who Is Using Iridium Or Platinum Spark Plugs

Nilantha

No no you all not understand what am i telling you. please see carefully attached picture. you can see the brown shine of the ceramic part of the plug. That brown shine happen result of the gas leak. I will give you clear pictures later.

p123b.jpg

I too doubt that it's a gas leak...

that sorta coloration can be due to the ceramic getting super heated and reacting with atmospheric gases...

if it's a gas leak...there should be further damages to the spark plug boot cos those gases are quite hot and most boots are just made out of rubber-plastic mix

It is the gas leak putha. i will show yo u clear pictures.

Based on the pic you posted earlier.. I'd say it's more or less normal- have a similar tan on my plats (which are made to run 100k)- and they run fine. If your plugs are constantly going bad and you feel its due to a gas leaks And if everything else has been checked- IMO its possible that the plug socket threads are wasted/damaged causing the plug to move and get spoilt.- Sorry if this is the case, have no idea how to fix it.

Edited by Elvis_Pil

Based on the pic you posted earlier.. I'd say it's more or less normal- have a similar tan on my plats (which are made to run 100k)- and they run fine. If your plugs are constantly going bad and you feel its due to a gas leaks And if everything else has been checked- IMO the plug socket threads are wasted/damaged causing the plug to move and get spoilt.- Sorry if this is the case, have no idea how to fix it.

i suppose in that case one would need a new cylinder head!

Well I thought of say using some of the white tape stuff you use on s-lon pipes to get them tight. But I guess that would perhaps melt?

Nope NEVER do that machan. plug needs better electric conduct between engine block. by putting tape your increasing the resistance between the Block and the plug.

Tell you what, take it to Toyota and get them to inspect the engine and give it a clean bill of health.

Also if you change the plugs every 3 months, it might avoid the discoloration causing 'gas leak'. NGK agents might be able to get you a wholesale price for NGKs!

Nope NEVER do that machan. plug needs better electric conduct between engine block. by putting tape your increasing the resistance between the Block and the plug.

Yes, do not put anything. More than then electricity, the melted rubber/plastic will drip in the combustion chamber and ... WHAAACKKKKKK!!!

Like everyone else keeps saying...... "its not a gas leak uncle! its just normal for an old plug...

BTW, maybe you can stick to normal size fonts simply out of good forum etiquette.. just cos the font you use is bigger, doesn't make your point more valid than someone else's.. :)

Edited by Dilesh

• 6 years later...
my car vibrates in idle mode (Presea auto).

Can it be Ok after change my Spark Plugs (I've inspected with few people they also told me Spark plug heads are bad) ?

If it is so which brand will be the best as Spark Plugs ?

Spark plugs are only one out of many possibilities that can cause the engine to vibrate at idle. If the existing spark plugs have done their service life then you have to change them anyway. Your car should have come with NGK BKR5E-11 spark plugs I believe.

my car vibrates in idle mode (Presea auto).

Can it be Ok after change my Spark Plugs (I've inspected with few people they also told me Spark plug heads are bad) ?

If it is so which brand will be the best as Spark Plugs ?

If few mechanics said the plug heads are bad, start with replacing them. They are not costly, will cost you around 1200-1500 for all 4 of them. What Ramesh88 mentioned was the correct spark plugs for your car I too believe, in fact it was commonly used with many Nissans.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/8/2016 at 8:01 PM, shaalee said:

Sorry for late replying. I've replaced all 4 spark plugs (NGK 6 ampheres). Costs around Rs.1600 . Garage bas told me If you replace them with Iridium plugs I'll get a better petrol performance. But the case it is too much Rs.2000 (per each)

Gb advised you well  :D  Yes, I use Iris'

Edited by Twin Turbo

• 9 months later...
On 09/11/2009 at 10:00 AM, Nilantha said:

Hi,

Any one is using Denso or NGK Iridium spark plugs here. I am thinking to change my AE110 normal spark plug to iridium spark plug. Any one has experience using iridium plugs please let me know your experience.

i am using Denso K16RU-11 normal spark plus at the movement but those are giving me problems. I change from NGK to Denso but both giving me same problem. I used NGK for 10 months but Denso I can use only about 8 months. The problem was gas leak from the plug head. (Spark plug gas leak)

if you are using Iridium or platinum spark plug please share your experience.

p123.jpg w100.png

Go for the specifications. Presently most of the manufacturers of vehicle recommend normal spark plugs. 
I used Denso iridium plugs on IO pajero, it lasted only 10,000 km.

Then I thought it must be duplicate and get down plugs from Denso iridium plugs for RAV4, from  Singapore,  it lasted only  12,000km

Earlier engines are manufactured with timing chain and later changed to belt and now reversed back to timing chain. 
Originally copper plugs are used for over 100 years and now again most Japanese and European manufacturers using copper plugs