• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Who Is Using Iridium Or Platinum Spark Plugs

Nilantha

Hi,

Any one is using Denso or NGK Iridium spark plugs here. I am thinking to change my AE110 normal spark plug to iridium spark plug. Any one has experience using iridium plugs please let me know your experience.

i am using Denso K16RU-11 normal spark plus at the movement but those are giving me problems. I change from NGK to Denso but both giving me same problem. I used NGK for 10 months but Denso I can use only about 8 months. The problem was gas leak from the plug head. (Spark plug gas leak)

if you are using Iridium or platinum spark plug please share your experience.

p123.jpg w100.png

Edited by Nilantha

Hi,

Any one is using Denso or NGK Iridium spark plugs here. I am thinking to change my AE110 normal spark plug to iridium spark plug. Any one has experience using iridium plugs please let me know your experience.

i am using Denso K16RU-11 normal spark plus at the movement but those are giving me problems. I change from NGK to Denso but both giving me same problem. I used NGK for 10 months but Denso I can use only about 8 months. The problem was gas leak from the plug head. (Spark plug gas leak)

p123.jpg w100.png

I am using Iridium plus in my Suzuki Aerio and normal plugs in Mazda BJ5P. No significant defference other than the high cost of Iridium plugs. :lol:

Thilak

Edited by ThilakR

Hi,

p123.jpg w100.png

you are using NGK????? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

i remember sometime ago you were advising somebody else to only use Denso for toyotas cos that's what toyota recommends!

what happened??

and on topic... member VVTI has iridiums in his p11 and as far as i know, he's a happy camper!

I am using Iridium plus in my Suzuki Aerio and normal plugs in Mazda BJ5P. No significant defference other than the high cost of Iridium plugs. :lol:

Thilak

yep true, as i have heard you can't expect any significant difference, except you can keep the iridiums for a longer time than coppers

What Gihan said is correct! no point using plugs other than what vendor recommends straight outta Japan. But if you can get the heat range and gap proper its good if u can afford it too..its more invulnerable to oil..with and engine which has spark issues..the plugs although wasted will run good for a long time..I have experience in this! whereas a normal plug would just die out..other than that I dont know if there is a performance gain!!!!

But remember Iridium isnt god! these plugs die out too.

• Like 1

My cars engine (Toyota 1ZZ-FE) was recommended (in Service manual) originally to use Iridium's. it came with Iridium's as well. (Originally NGKs). bought plugs from Agents. better check with your Cars Engine manual or service manual (if there any..) to verify with to use what kind of plug. found out that eBay got some super deals.

Edited by Ruslan

What Gihan said is correct! no point using plugs other than what vendor recommends straight outta Japan. But if you can get the heat range and gap proper its good if u can afford it too..its more invulnerable to oil..with and engine which has spark issues..the plugs although wasted will run good for a long time..I have experience in this! whereas a normal plug would just die out..other than that I dont know if there is a performance gain!!!!

But remember Iridium isnt god! these plugs die out too.

Yes, the best plug is what OEM recommend for the car, unless the car running heavy modifications, as i remember for every 75hp u need to go 1 step colder, gap is also very important, if the coil pack or individual coils get weak then the vehicle get low or high rpm hesitation at WOT, by re gaping the plugs you can get rid of the hesitation

Hi,

p123.jpg w100.png

I don't think basic cars/people movers such as the AE110 will reap any benefits from the plug changes. Its just an expensive way to say, 'Look, I am suffering the Placebo effect and I think I just over took a Ferrari becasue of my Spark Plugs'.

However in something like the SR20 the difference is noticeable. Mine's been running with Iridiums since July and I have removed the plugs for inspection a few times and must say the condition of the plugs are still very good, despite putting on at least 25K since changing.

But for Toyota I think its a waste of money and effort. Stick with he factory recommended type.

Edited by VVTi

i distinctly recall us having this discussion at great depth a long while back - well worth it if someone could dig up the old thread...

for a basic run abt with an ordinary engine there is theoretically unlikely to be any substantial gain switching to anything outside of the OEM plugs

2 months on Iri's (NGK) for the vios. No difference at all :D Put them hoping to get better fuel, but that was hoping too much as well :D:lol: Still I like to think as the vvt gives out super pickup in the low end, that it's the plugs and k&n's doings and not the vvt :rolleyes::lol:

I don't think basic cars/people movers such as the AE110 will reap any benefits from the plug changes. Its just an expensive way to say, 'Look, I am suffering the Placebo effect and I think I just over took a Ferrari becasue of my Spark Plugs'.

However in something like the SR20 the difference is noticeable. Mine's been running with Iridiums since July and I have removed the plugs for inspection a few times and must say the condition of the plugs are still very good, despite putting on at least 25K since changing.

But for Toyota I think its a waste of money and effort. Stick with he factory recommended type.

I also like to use factory recommended spark plugs. But my problem is in sri lanka very difficult to find out good quality NGK or DENSO. For AE110 5A-FE Factory recommended is DENSO K16R-U11 but how can I find out Made in Japan, Made in UK or Made in German like good quality plug set from sri lanka. Here only available Made in Thaiwan or China NGK or Denso. My problem is when I use this china or Taiwan spark plugs only I can use about 6 or 8 months it starts to leak compressor gas from the neck of the plug. Plug works fine but gas leaks from the plug neck. So I notice reduce the fuel mileage. When it happen that low fuel mileage, I usually do change the spark plug set and do the throttle body clean and air filter clean again I can take the good fuel mileage. If I clean air filter and throttle body without changing the plug set I can’t take the good result. If I want to take good result I should change the plug set. This is my experience. So every six month I have to change the plug set. So I think if I can use good quality plug set I can save money.

I am trying to take down CHAMPION spark plug from Italy. Will see what happen.

I also like to use factory recommended spark plugs. But my problem is in sri lanka very difficult to find out good quality NGK or DENSO. For AE110 5A-FE Factory recommended is DENSO K16R-U11 but how can I find out Made in Japan, Made in UK or Made in German like good quality plug set from sri lanka. Here only available Made in Thaiwan or China NGK or Denso. My problem is when I use this china or Taiwan spark plugs only I can use about 6 or 8 months it starts to leak compressor gas from the neck of the plug. Plug works fine but gas leaks from the plug neck. So I notice reduce the fuel mileage. When it happen that low fuel mileage, I usually do change the spark plug set and do the throttle body clean and air filter clean again I can take the good fuel mileage. If I clean air filter and throttle body without changing the plug set I can’t take the good result. If I want to take good result I should change the plug set. This is my experience. So every six month I have to change the plug set. So I think if I can use good quality plug set I can save money.

i've used champion bought from lucas, the agents on my XR and it wasn't as good as the NGK's...

plugs were fouling far sooner than the NGK's did

i too run denso on my ae100...5A-FE engine... bought from the agents and they have been in the car for about a good 7-8months without any issues...

got em checked a few weeks back and all are ok...

i've used champion bought from lucas, the agents on my XR and it wasn't as good as the NGK's...

plugs were fouling far sooner than the NGK's did

i too run denso on my ae100...5A-FE engine... bought from the agents and they have been in the car for about a good 7-8months without any issues...

got em checked a few weeks back and all are ok...

Trick is to properly torque them when you fit them. not too tight, not too loose. :rolleyes:

There is no way gas can leak from a plug unless its very loose. And if that happens the compression force will push it out eventually. NGK sold by A*W is the original. Dunno where you were buying your plugs from. Champions have a fouling issue on high compression, high temp engines found in most Jap cars. Use at your own risk.

Trick is to properly torque them when you fit them. not too tight, not too loose. :rolleyes:

yep...especially not too tight cos most our mechanic dudes go tarzan on them and tighten them up too much!

investing on a proper torque wrench is well worth the money :)

yep...especially not too tight cos most our mechanic dudes go tarzan on them and tighten them up too much!

No no you all not understand what am i telling you. please see carefully attached picture. you can see the brown shine of the ceramic part of the plug. That brown shine happen result of the gas leak. I will give you clear pictures later.

p123b.jpg

Edited by Nilantha

Heh heh was really curious about this since sometime, is there a special wrench that should be used with spark plugs? Or could we use ordinary torque wrenches that come with tool kit boxes?

Heh heh was really curious about this since sometime, is there a special wrench that should be used with spark plugs? Or could we use ordinary torque wrenches that come with tool kit boxes?

You can use a Torque wrench with spark plug adapter attached to it. some times you may need to use a extender.

torquej.jpg w500.png

31torquewrenchsetop60l.jpg w600.png

beamtypetorquewrench.jpg w900.png

dialtorquewrenchbike.jpg w325.png

Edited by Ruslan

No no you all not understand what am i telling you. please see carefully attached picture. you can see the brown shine of the ceramic part of the plug. That brown shine happen result of the gas leak. I will give you clear pictures later.

p123b.jpg

Machang, this is normal in plugs!!! Ayyoo Saamiii!!! If it makes you feel any better, my Iridiums are also showing the same coloration on the ceramic insulator part. But its not a sign of any 'gas leak'.

Pity you have been wasting money on changing plugs due to this.... :action-smiley-060:

I don't have a TW. I am practicing a trick one of my neighbors who is mechanic for 40 years taught me. Hand Tighten the plug until you feel the first serious resistance, then using the extension of the plug box, turn 1/4. Then again 1/8th. This way it's tight enough to function normally and can be removed next time around with out much force, as too much force to remove is as bad as too much force to tighten Been doing that for all my life it has not failed me once.

Machang, this is normal in plugs!!! Ayyoo Saamiii!!! If it makes you feel any better, my Iridiums are also showing the same coloration on the ceramic insulator part. But its not a sign of any 'gas leak'.

Pity you have been wasting money on changing plugs due to this.... :action-smiley-060:

It is the gas leak putha. i will show yo u clear pictures.