• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wipers Skipping, Chattering!

Ripper

Question

ok folks...strange problem here...

bought one of those rain repellant things for my windshield...summin like rainX but of malaysian origin...

It works like a charm and i can drive in somewhat heavy downpour without wipers... even at night...

the hitch is...the repellant doesn't work that great for light drizzles at slower speeds... so you need to use them wipers...

this is where the trouble begins.... now after the repellant thing on my screen, them wipers are making a huge racket... skipping on the glass, leaving streaks...

and i'm on a new pair of wurth blades that i bought about 2 months ago...

anybody with similar experiences and possible remedies???

according lord google, i need to use a "clay lube" and clean my windshield pretty well and also ensure blades are new and this issue would go away...

since the blades are new, suppose i need them "clay lube" ... whatever that is

help!

13 answers to this question

bought one of those rain repellant things for my windshield...summin like rainX but of malaysian origin...

It works like a charm and i can drive in somewhat heavy downpour without wipers... even at night...

the hitch is...the repellant doesn't work that great for light drizzles at slower speeds... so you need to use them wipers...

this is where the trouble begins.... now after the repellant thing on my screen, them wipers are making a huge racket... skipping on the glass, leaving streaks...

according lord google, i need to use a "clay lube" and clean my windshield pretty well and also ensure blades are new and this issue would go away...

help!

That's a stumper.. Maybe if you reduce the quantity of the rain-x like thingy? Can't it be a simple over-dose on the windshield? :unsure:

Are you using any wiper blade treatment? Maybe the RainX and that don't like to play well with each other i.e. adverse chemical reaction.

nah mate...since blades are pretty new...didn't bother!

used wurth windshield cleaner for the washer and that's about it...

after many google searches today... most folks are saying to thoroughly clean the windshield surface... something i plan on trying today itself if i managed to leave office not too late :(

That's a stumper.. Maybe if you reduce the quantity of the rain-x like thingy? Can't it be a simple over-dose on the windshield? unsure.gif

yep...can be that too... but i followed all instructions to the dot :(

and it seems that even with rainX...this blade skipping issue seems to be quite common! so many topics on other forums show up on google!

Edited by Ripper

nah mate...since blades are pretty new...didn't bother!

used wurth windshield cleaner for the washer and that's about it...

after many google searches today... most folks are saying to thoroughly clean the windshield surface... something i plan on trying today itself if i managed to leave office not too late :(

yep...can be that too... but i followed all instructions to the dot :(

and it seems that even with rainX...this blade skipping issue seems to be quite common! so many topics on other forums show up on google!

well, it simply competing with the competitor, wipers :) if thorough wash fails try to clean windshele with a thinner soaked piece of cloth

help!

I have the same problem after using RainX..! it is pretty damn annoying.. from my experience, I think what happens is that the solvent creates friction between the wiper blade and the glass.

This thinner treatment might work, need to try it out.

well, it simply competing with the competitor, wipers smile.gif if thorough wash fails try to clean windshele with a thinner soaked piece of cloth

yep harshana...did that in the morning and whallaah! its sorted :)

my theory is that the windshield had become ultra slippery after putting in "RainKick" and the wiper blade surfaces were not as slippery and was causing some drag between the surfaces... The chatter was more noticeable on the down stroke so thought that made sense and cleaned the blades with a tissue wet out with "RainKick"

and now all works fine :) at least so far :)

Does Wurth Blades are Silicon based or regular stuff?

If my memory is serves me correct..those are some sorta special rubber thing coated with graphite...

and they worked flawlessly prior to applying "RainKick"

yo, check to see if there's excessive play in your wiper arm pivot itself. That can cause the chatter.

that's what i too thought at first but since the chatter wasn't there earlier to applying "RainKick" i sorta thought that had something to do with it and not the wipe arms...

but checked the pivots anyways and though they do have a bit of play...it's not too bad to be making such a big racket...

So far i'm a happy camper :)

tested the screen today with a garden hose and RainKick works superbly and so does the wipers without any issues..

Just hope that by applying RainKick to the wiper blades, it wont get too messed up fast :)

yeah mate! especially these days you them wipers to work well!

searched the web a lot for solution to the chatter issue and most solutions offered in other forums were quite hazy...

those two links had the best solution IMHO..

tried with my wipers and the issue had reduced a lot...

just need to fine tune it and i'd be perfect :)

weird thing is..until rainX application...all was o k :D