• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pulling A Auto Gear Car

Edward

HI Guys,

I got into big trouble yesterday night, I could not start the car at Kohuwala, after stopping for pumping petrol. I thought it may be a problem in the battery & tried to start with the help of a cabel, but it was not a problem with the battery, but with the starter motor. My family was in the car including small baby. I knew it is not good to pull the auto car, but I had no option other than pulling it upto Ratmalana. What will be the impact on the gear box. please let me know what I can expect.

HI Guys,

I got into big trouble yesterday night, I could not start the car at Kohuwala, after stopping for pumping petrol. I thought it may be a problem in the battery & tried to start with the help of a cabel, but it was not a problem with the battery, but with the starter motor. My family was in the car including small baby. I knew it is not good to pull the auto car, but I had no option other than pulling it upto Ratmalana. What will be the impact on the gear box. please let me know what I can expect.

Not sure about this but according to what I heard from others is that pulling a auto transmission car is completely normal for that car but if you are pulling it using another auto transmission vehicle, its not good for that vehicle. not to your car.

Not sure about this but according to what I heard from others is that pulling a auto transmission car is completely normal for that car but if you are pulling it using another auto transmission vehicle, its not good for that vehicle. not to your car.

Exactly correct.

HI Guys,

If you pulled the car while it was in Neutral (N), then there wont be any problem at all.. If you left the gearbox in anything other than N, then there might be some damage.

There is a possibility that towing caused considerable or insignificant damages to your box irrespective of what tranny position you towed N or D.

Case is that normally when towed no circulation of transmission fluid taking place inside to lubricate the internal rotating parts.Any car user manual highlights importance of avoiding towing. Towing long distance and towing at high speed increase the internal box temperature and immediately damage the box or unquestionably lessen the life.

If towing is inevitable. Towing slow with multiple interval stops and towing short distances may reduce the damages.

MINIACE

Edited by miniace

Never heard that before

MINIACE

Ive also not heard it before.Anyway towing a car over a long distance can damage its gearbox.But since u have stopped at 3 places and towed it very slowly i think u will not have to worry about it.

If you pulled the car while it was in Neutral (N), then there wont be any problem at all.. If you left the gearbox in anything other than N, then there might be some damage.

This is what happens when the cops tow your car !! Gear is on P, and Hand Brakes pulled .

I have see this been done to some poor guys car, its terrible as they have no concern for the car.

How about when the car has the front wheels lifted off the ground? This is how I've seen cars being towed even at highway speeds in the US (probably all automatics). Assuming they are all front wheel drive, should be no damage to the car right?

How about when the car has the front wheels lifted off the ground? This is how I've seen cars being towed even at highway speeds in the US (probably all automatics). Assuming they are all front wheel drive, should be no damage to the car right?

towing with the drive wheels up is the recomended method on user manuals I've come across...

Believe Miniace has given the explanation for this requirement...

towing with the drive wheels up is the recomended method on user manuals I've come across...

Believe Miniace has given the explanation for this requirement...

yep...it's either one of those tow trucks that can lift your front wheels and tow or a car carrier... there are quite a few places that has car carriers nowadays so should not be a big issue to find one in an emergency...

which brings to another point...maybe we should have towing service contact details on a thread so that folks can keep those numbers in an emergency :)

QUOTE (Corolla121 @ Nov 3 2009, 09:50 AM) *

this is quite strange though...can't figure out how this be true... :unsure:

only one i can think of is that the stuck with an auto tranny is causing too much of strain on the other car that's pulling it... But does it matter whether the pulling vehicle is auto or manual?

There is a possibility that towing caused considerable or insignificant damages to your box irrespective of what tranny position you towed N or D.

Case is that normally when towed no circulation of transmission fluid taking place inside to lubricate the internal rotating parts.Any car user manual highlights importance of avoiding towing. Towing long distance and towing at high speed increase the internal box temperature and immediately damage the box or unquestionably lessen the life.

If towing is inevitable. Towing slow with multiple interval stops and towing short distances may reduce the damages.

MINIACE

Hi Guys,

Please correct me if I am wrong, when the gear is in N, does the inner parts of the gearbox rotate? I thing the wheels are released from all the connections from the gear box & the wheels are free.

this is quite strange though...can't figure out how this be true... :unsure:

only one i can think of is that the stuck with an auto tranny is causing too much of strain on the other car that's pulling it... But does it matter whether the pulling vehicle is auto or manual?

There is no truth behind that...just his imaginations...so no worries mate...Actually in USA & Euro ,the most popular tranny for motorhome towing is Auto.

MINIACE

Why?? OD is automatically engaged only after speeds beyond 55km/h.Never heard a towing done at that speed.

MINIACE

That makes sense.. but what's the purpose of the OD on/off switch? when do we have to use it? :unsure:

Edited by Ruslan

There is no truth behind that...just his imaginations...so no worries mate...Actually in USA & Euro ,the most popular tranny for motorhome towing is Auto.

MINIACE

Quite true. Alot of people pull their boats during summer in their daily drivers. But these daily drivers are quite often a 4.7L Grand cherokee or a Tahoe, Trailblazer etc.

And in the case you park in another persons slot or unauthorized place your toast and your car gets towed. If its front wheel drive and engaged in park only, the tower will lift the front end, but in a case where the hand brake is pulled they use this tray kinda thing with wheels under the rear two wheels and lift the front end and tow.

If our cops dont have these rollers and you happen to have the hand brakes on.......... then um....

Please tell me you don't drive an Auto...

:P I do but it doesn't have the OD switch. got this Gate type shifter (P R N D 3 2 L). was curious because most of the sources that i came up with saying turn OD off when pulling or climbing steep hill.

Edited by Ruslan

That makes sense.. but what's the purpose of the OD on/off switch? when do we have to use it? :unsure:

you turn off the OD when you're going down a hill (to stay in a lower gear) so you can maintain a controlled speed without using the breaks. IF you don't then the vehicle would be in perpetual acceleration and you would have to use your brakes to maintain speed.

It is also safe to drive with OD off when roads are very slippery (ie iced up here in the US). This way, all you have to do is take the foot off the car and the vehicle will immediately start to decelerate. This is esp. helpful on RWD vehicles. The last thing you want to do is tap the brakes when you have little to no traction and start sliding and get sideways.

The Auto Tranny OD is the Manual tranny Fifth Grear or simply known as Overdrive or Topgrear.In auto OD mode this automatically shifts from OD to direct drive during more load is present. During conditions when less load is present, it shifts back to OD.

In some countries when the motorway speed is constantly changed in a speed range between 60-75km/h or under certain conditions, for example driving uphill or downhill ,tranny hunts between OD and the third gear, shifting back and forth.Simply switching it off helps the transmission to settle on 3rd gear until the constant and the settled speed is reached and most importantly avoiding the "Shift Shock" during shitings.

It is advantageous to switch it off if auto engine braking is desired,during downhill driving.

Remember you need to bring the car to a speed below 20 to change the auto tranny position and OD switch toggle can be done at any speed.This is very advantageous when driving up hill or downhill or when towing a motorhome or a trailer.

MINIACE

The Auto Tranny OD is the Manual tranny Fifth Grear or simply known as Overdrive or Topgrear.In auto OD mode this automatically shifts from OD to direct drive during more load is present. During conditions when less load is present, it shifts back to OD.

In some countries when the motorway speed is constantly changed in a speed range between 60-75km/h or under certain conditions, for example driving uphill or downhill ,tranny hunts between OD and the third gear, shifting back and forth.Simply switching it off helps the transmission to settle on 3rd gear until the constant and the settled speed is reached and most importantly avoiding the "Shift Shock" during shitings.

It is advantageous to switch it off if auto engine braking is desired,during downhill driving.

Remember you need to bring the car to a speed below 20 to change the auto tranny position and OD switch toggle can be done at any speed.This is very advantageous when driving up hill or downhill or when towing a motorhome or a trailer.

MINIACE

thanks for that detailed explanations mate :) i think i will never get an auto tranny car! :P far too complicated :)

Quite true. Alot of people pull their boats during summer in their daily drivers. But these daily drivers are quite often a 4.7L Grand cherokee or a Tahoe, Trailblazer etc.

And in the case you park in another persons slot or unauthorized place your toast and your car gets towed. If its front wheel drive and engaged in park only, the tower will lift the front end, but in a case where the hand brake is pulled they use this tray kinda thing with wheels under the rear two wheels and lift the front end and tow.

If our cops dont have these rollers and you happen to have the hand brakes on.......... then um....

wow...how considerate of them :) our guys would just tow it not giving a crap about what it will do the car :)