• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Driving License Fading

Miyuru Daminda

• 1 month later...
Guys,

I went yesterday.

Superb service.

I had no documents to take. Just my faded license and my National ID.

You need to stand in a que , but its really well organised.

They allow people inside , the tokens are given, you go to a counter ( over 35 counters) , there is a digital picture taken, a form is given , you fill the form, go to another counter hand over, pay the money and collect the license after a few hours.

I had the same day service. Rs 1700/- for the license + 500 for the same day fee.

Took me from 10 am to 2 pm to get it into my hands.

No touts / no bribery / no bull***.

Hats off to the RMV and the people who managed to get it done, with all the political meddling and mafia etc etc etc

Superb job.

The fee depends / changes if you have heavy vehicle etc etc obviously. But all well organised.

Kudos to all concerned.

Didnt have time all these days to get this sorted but plan to do it this month. Just a few questions

1) In the new license the blood group is also mentioned, do we need to take a blood type card(if available) or is there a facility at RMV to check it?

2) Whats the ideal time to go? half day work cut is sufficient to get the one day service? i guess this also depends on the crowd there.

I guess the only disadvantage in the new licesnse is that an expiry period is mentioned, depending on the category whereas in the old license it was not the case.

Thanks

Last week I got a replacement for my faded driving license. Process was smooth. If you have old license, no need to get new type license (smart card). You can get a copy of old license at zero cost.

Requirements:

• 2 passport size photographs with residency confirmed by Gramasewaka ( this is a must, if not signed by gramasewaka you will not able take new license )
  • Photocopy of National ID card ( both side ) and Natiaonal ID card
  • Existing Driving License

Steps:

Go to RMV office, Werahera @ 8AM-8:30AM. No need to go very early.

Tell to security person @gate, that came to get a replacement for faded driving license. Then he will direct you to a queue. Most of the time peoples came to update temporary license and who came to take replacement license will send to a single queue.

You may need to wait in queue till 9AM.

After office work started, queue will direct to relevant office.

Your documents will taken and you will receive a slip that mentioning the time you need to come back to collect license ( time between 2PM-4PM).

Be there @ mentioned time and collect your license. Simple as that.

If you went to RMV office by your vehicle, you have to wait there until you got license back in evening. Slip given when handover old license is not a temporary license. So you can't drive with it.

Last week I got a replacement for my faded driving license. Process was smooth. If you have old license, no need to get new type license (smart card). You can get a copy of old license at zero cost.

Requirements:

• 2 passport size photographs with residency confirmed by Gramasewaka ( this is a must, if not signed by gramasewaka you will not able take new license )
  • Photocopy of National ID card ( both side ) and Natiaonal ID card
  • Existing Driving License

Steps:

Go to RMV office, Werahera @ 8AM-8:30AM. No need to go very early.

Tell to security person @gate, that came to get a replacement for faded driving license. Then he will direct you to a queue. Most of the time peoples came to update temporary license and who came to take replacement license will send to a single queue.

You may need to wait in queue till 9AM.

After office work started, queue will direct to relevant office.

Your documents will taken and you will receive a slip that mentioning the time you need to come back to collect license ( time between 2PM-4PM).

Be there @ mentioned time and collect your license. Simple as that.

If you went to RMV office by your vehicle, you have to wait there until you got license back in evening. Slip given when handover old license is not a temporary license. So you can't drive with it.

Thanks Miyuru

Getting hold of the Gramasweke is another headache, so to avoid this can i get the new smart card license without any attestation of photos?

• 2 months later...
Guys,

I went yesterday.

Superb service.

I had no documents to take. Just my faded license and my National ID.

You need to stand in a que , but its really well organised.

They allow people inside , the tokens are given, you go to a counter ( over 35 counters) , there is a digital picture taken, a form is given , you fill the form, go to another counter hand over, pay the money and collect the license after a few hours.

I had the same day service. Rs 1700/- for the license + 500 for the same day fee.

Took me from 10 am to 2 pm to get it into my hands.

No touts / no bribery / no bull***.

Hats off to the RMV and the people who managed to get it done, with all the political meddling and mafia etc etc etc

Superb job.

The fee depends / changes if you have heavy vehicle etc etc obviously. But all well organised.

Kudos to all concerned.

Pradfred, since the New Driving license mentions a blood type do we need to take a certified document from a lab or hospital mentioning the blood type? Plan to get this done this week.

• 3 weeks later...

For the benefit of others who wish to replace their faded driving licence, i finally managed to find some time and got mine last week. However they have now stopped issuing the old type driving licence and only issue the new one with the chip.

As all have commented on the service, i found the staff at RMV to be extremely professional and friendly from the security gaurd at the front gate.

The same day service is conveninet but be prepared to allocate a whole day for this purpose, the day i went was extremely crowded and managed to get into the que just before the alloted slots for the day closed(around 150 i think).

Hi guys,

I got a new driving license in this march because of a spelling mistake in my old license. After few months, i noticed that it is fading and now it's not possible to read anything there. I heard that motor traffic commission will replace recently issued license. But dono whether i have to pay Rs550 again or they will do it for free. Did anyone faced to such issue?

Same story here........ My driving license is around 2 years old, but now I can't even see my face on it. my father's one is more than 30 years old and it's still looks very healthy. Now I'm in a big trouble. But I heard that there is a system to replace a new one. Hope It'll not fade :P If someone knows something, plz inform us. Thanks :angry:

mine has faded aswell...issued in 2004...cops dont give any trouble cos they're aware of this fading thingy...but it's only a matter of time before i get caught by some asshat "i know the law" popo and get harassed...so would like to sort it out.

would be nice if we could all go together for the one day service...i hate going to these kinda things alone.

It's nice to hear that at least some cops know the truth........ :P

It's nice to hear that at least some cops know the truth........ :P

Sir,

I got a new license after paying due fees for my old one last year March which was cracked few months after this new license faded I contacted by Telephone the commissioner in the relevant department and made my complain he at once told me to send the license with a letter to him.

I send my Clark with the License and the complain letter the commissioner concerned gave a order on my letter and requested him to go next day early morning to their Werahara Driving license issuing section and they gave a new one free of charge as so many had complained about this problem and they had issued number of old type licenses I think fading was due to some problem in their Machine. Please note I had to send new photos certified by a JP that pics are mine with my ID.

Wijesinghe.

Hey Guys,

One of my friend was Fined by cops telling that his DL is not clear, can they do like that..... Isn't it a fault of RMV...

When he has asked they have told that it's his duty to change it if it is faded.....

Sir,

Fading issue on new licenses is a problem with RMV License issuing machine if not I will never get a new License Free of charge.

Cops are correct Person cannot use a license which is not clear with faded photo of the person and faded letters of the license.

Get your Friend if he still has the ticket given by the traffic cop to contact DIG Traffic and put forward his complain as this is a

fault of the RMV..

• 9 months later...

Hello all, thought I'd just bump this thread a bit for those who haven't got the new licenses yet. :)

I went today and got my new license as the previous one is just a piece of white plastic now.. (meaning its completely faded)

ALL you need is... Yourself... your ID card and your old license.. thats it.. no photos no gramasewaka, nothing.

Firstly, if you want it done in 1 day, they take only 200 "same day" applicants,

My advice is, be there before 7 am.. (I got there at 7.10 am and my Token number was 104 so yeah..)

Also, be ready to spend the whole time standing in queue... the offices open only at 8.30 am... and then there's yet more standing.

Cost, "normal service" is 1700/= they "apparently" mail you the card within a month and give you a temp license for a month.

"one day service" is 2200/=... You can get your card after 2pm on the same day.

and word round there is, the new one fades faster than the old one... so a credit card cover or something would be ideal.

Ps. They take the pics, fingerprints and sign there, so don't send anyone else to do it for you.. Its either be there or be square...

Oh and one more thing, from the time you walk in there, you get all sorts of fellows coming up to you saying *the queue is full, we can get it for you..etc" one word for them, IGNORE!!

Cheers!

Edited by virensti

So, they don't issue old type license cards anymore?

Not that I know of.. They never said anything about an "old license" and "new license"

its just the new one.. with a slightly reddish greenish twinge to it.

Members,

This Driving License fading off is there for few years Mine is the third for last four years. It is 50% faded within 10 months. I normally send one person who knows a officer in RMV office he gets it in one day with a fee to his pocket.I like to suggest few members get to gather have a meeting disuses and represent this License fading matter to Commissioner of motor traffic or to any other higher authority for the benefit of all Driving license holders in our country.

We may be having lawyers in our forum to advice on this issue.I leave this matter to them for their comments.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Its just a case of bad quality printing of the cards. You dont need a lawyer to realize that. And I'm pretty sure the commissioner knows about this issue.

The only thing the commissioner (and not you or me) can do is give the card printing contract to someone else. But then again, there's always the internal factors and motivators that drive government officials to take some of the obvious wrong decisions they take. Why dont you ask your sweetheart Dilku, he'll educate you on it..

Yes they do, but do you know how exactly they read off anything in them? Cuz I've not seen any readers around here

you believe the readers would be available? even the previous license had a magnetic strip which was suppose to read and store offences, penalties but the equipment/reader was never given to cops. Same applies to the VIC sticker which suppose to tag on the wind shield of the vehicles with new number plates. A readers suppose to be given to cops to identify basic vehicle information if in case to cross check, never happened. This is the next episode of the same comedy.

you believe the readers would be available? even the previous license had a magnetic strip which was suppose to read and store offences, penalties but the equipment/reader was never given to cops. Same applies to the VIC sticker which suppose to tag on the wind shield of the vehicles with new number plates. A readers suppose to be given to cops to identify basic vehicle information if in case to cross check, never happened. This is the next episode of the same comedy.

Ah, I should have known better, the land like no other after all... rolleyes.gif Another pointless exercise to send some more money out of the country then, I've heard the cards come from Singapore and printed here. Hope all our personal info isn't flowing out to private companies in the process of entering though.