• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Driving License Fading

Miyuru Daminda

Its just a case of bad quality printing of the cards. You dont need a lawyer to realize that. And I'm pretty sure the commissioner knows about this issue.

The only thing the commissioner (and not you or me) can do is give the card printing contract to someone else. But then again, there's always the internal factors and motivators that drive government officials to take some of the obvious wrong decisions they take. Why dont you ask your sweetheart Dilku, he'll educate you on it..

Watchman',

Do not write out of Point.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 1 month later...

BUMP!

I have to renew mine, now its totaly faded lol. Any updates? Anyone else went recently?? Just want to make sure I wont have to carry any forms or photographs signed by anyone..

Yes I got it done 2 months ago. If you want to get it done through the one day service, go on a weekday around 9 AM. There's no need to go there too early.

I went there around 10.30 and still managed to get in token number 170-something. The first queue to get your token takes about 45 minutes. Thereafter, things are pretty quick.

All you need is your NIC and your old license. There's no need for photos or forms or anything of the sort. If you need to change your address, you might need a letter from GS though. In my case I changed my address without a letter. But to be safe, take one.

They will take your photo and your fingerprint there. When you sign on the signing pad, make it big. really big or else your signature turns up tiny on the license.

You have the option of getting 5 year or 9 year license. 9-year license costs around 2900/-

DMT Licensing division is now paperless. So whatever paper you give, will be returned to you.

After you submit all forms, you can collect the license by returning the old card, around 4 PM.

(Please note: DO NOT contact the Government Information Centre to ask this. They will give you the old procedure and send you on a costly wild goose chase)

Yes I got it done 2 months ago. If you want to get it done through the one day service, go on a weekday around 9 AM. There's no need to go there too early.

I went there around 10.30 and still managed to get in token number 170-something. The first queue to get your token takes about 45 minutes. Thereafter, things are pretty quick.

All you need is your NIC and your old license. There's no need for photos or forms or anything of the sort. If you need to change your address, you might need a letter from GS though. In my case I changed my address without a letter. But to be safe, take one.

They will take your photo and your fingerprint there. When you sign on the signing pad, make it big. really big or else your signature turns up tiny on the license.

You have the option of getting 5 year or 9 year license. 9-year license costs around 2900/-

DMT Licensing division is now paperless. So whatever paper you give, will be returned to you.

After you submit all forms, you can collect the license by returning the old card, around 4 PM.

(Please note: DO NOT contact the Government Information Centre to ask this. They will give you the old procedure and send you on a costly wild goose chase)

What he say s is correct. You want to get it done in 5 min you have to pay about Rs 3000 more to one of the guys in there.

No need of any documents.

I got mine on Jan first week. No sign of any fade.

• 2 weeks later...

I went there yesterday, process was kinda as you have mentioned, i went around 8.45 and i got 180th number and only 200 numbers are issued for one day service and there were about 400+ people in the same queue to get new license, license renewed etc etc. Anyway I was there till around 12, to get the photo, submit all forms etc. And came bak again at 4.30 to collect the license. Anyway I think mine is valid for 8 years? And it was just 2200/=, only Cars/vans class

Hey Don, mine has deteriorated to the point that its just a smudged piece of plastic. I'm def gonna get in trouble if I get stopped. Since I'm sure things will be shut all next week, shall we organize and go the week after that?

Hey Don, mine has deteriorated to the point that its just a smudged piece of plastic. I'm def gonna get in trouble if I get stopped. Since I'm sure things will be shut all next week, shall we organize and go the week after that?

count me in too.. there's nothing but a white plastic card and twice cops stopped and took a good look at the license as if they can read!! and asked where do I live all crap and let me go. Not a word about the faded license, I wonder why. I had an answer ready on my tongue tip if he points out the damn thing is faded, that is, "this license has been issued by the same government you're serving for officer, not something I brought from home"

never had a chance to put it out though.

I'm no good 13th to the 20th,Heading for the hills...OK to go anyday after that.

Hows about this Monday(11) or Tuesday(12) eh?

Monday is out. Have to talk to boss about Tuesday. Do you think it'll even be open? I have a feeling they'll close up for the whole week.

• 1 year later...

OK, finally got it done! Only got there about 9ish, typical Govt kadey, people more interested in their personal phone calls and conversations than the people. Explanations are somewhat hard to come by from these people. I mean, can't blame them completely, if I had to sit and keep doing the same thing over and over again for a good 500 people a day, I guess I'd be bored too. Good news is, technology helps in moving the process along.

Only things I needed was the ID, and the blood donors card with the blood type was enough for the blood type. Remember to take a pen! Had to pass thru 4 different counters, God only knows why, I think 2 would have been enough, but at least the process was fairly painless. Didn't want to kill the estimated 2 to 3 hours it would take for the license to be printed so went home for lunch and came back, and the license was ready. Again, process could be a little better at the pickup, but it worked, and they had a much better system than the chaps at the NIC place.

Crosswinds post here - - is pretty spot on. Couple of changes, its not entirely paperless, there are two pieces of paper given to you to carry around, but by the time you get the license and leave, you've given it all back. I don't know what time they opened, but I went at 9, and got token 101. Probably could have had the license about 12:30 if I waited, but I went home and came back, so had it in my hands by 2. Also, I didn't get this 9 year option, and they actually didn't say anything about validity period or renewing the thing. Guess you have to keep yourself informed about that kinda thing.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the process to get a new copy for a faded driving license which was issued in 2007 (back & white)?

1. Document which should be produced?

2. one-day service charge?

3. is it werahera or narahenpita?

4. Any specific advice (time??? pre-requirments???)

Thanks.

Note: I just went through the forum topic http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/7345-driving-license-fading/ and it has information with contradictions and information might be outdated.

highly appreciate comments from members who have done this recently.

What is the process to get a new copy for a faded driving license which was issued in 2007 (back & white)?

1. Document which should be produced?

2. one-day service charge?

3. is it werahera or narahenpita?

4. Any specific advice (time??? pre-requirments???)

Thanks.

Note: I just went through the forum topic http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/7345-driving-license-fading/ and it has information with contradictions and information might be outdated.

highly appreciate comments from members who have done this recently.

If you looked through the thread properly, you would notice that my post was made within the last two weeks. I don't think it would have got outdated just yet.

If you looked through the thread properly, you would notice that my post was made within the last two weeks. I don't think it would have got outdated just yet.

i noticed that, but i thought that is also outdated with following motivation:

In ur comment it says that "Only things I needed was the ID, and the blood donors card with the blood type was enough for the blood type".

I called to 0112518950(tel no in RMV) and the person who answered said that it is not necessary to produce any document related to Blood Group.

Then you might be thinking that why I was unable to get all the information from that number.

I am not going to the same mistake again. I did this kind of query about “new number plates”. What they told is “bring the vehicle book and id copy, that’s it”. But once I was there they asked me to bring old number plates. Then I went back and brought it. Oops! Then they asked me to produce the small sticker which was sticked on windscreen.

thanks for the quick reply.

i noticed that, but i thought that is also outdated with following motivation:

In ur comment it says that "Only things I needed was the ID, and the blood donors card with the blood type was enough for the blood type".

I called to 0112518950(tel no in RMV) and the person who answered said that it is not necessary to produce any document related to Blood Group.

Then you might be thinking that why I was unable to get all the information from that number.

I am not going to the same mistake again. I did this kind of query about “new number plates”. What they told is “bring the vehicle book and id copy, that’s it”. But once I was there they asked me to bring old number plates. Then I went back and brought it. Oops! Then they asked me to produce the small sticker which was sticked on windscreen.

thanks for the quick reply.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/7345-driving-license-fading/page-3#entry152696

Too keep the info in one place, they DO ask for the old license, which they did punch a hole in and gave back to me. Tho as anyone can see from the pic up there, there is no information to be gleaned from it.

I guess you'll have to take that too, otherwise, anyone can go and keep getting a new license when you get copped or something. I mean, they DO have records on when the cards were issued, they had the issue date for my old card too, didn't even have that info myself.

Hi Pericles,

What was the total cost (charges)?

is it mandatory to produce Blood group proofs?

is it a "chiped" license you got? if it is then, doest it contain a black and white photo (since your old licence contained a black & white photo)?

Thanks.

Hi Pericles,

What was the total cost (charges)?

is it mandatory to produce Blood group proofs?

is it a "chiped" license you got? if it is then, doest it contain a black and white photo (since your old licence contained a black & white photo)?

Thanks.

Cost about Rs.2,700 for the 1 day service.

Blood group, I think it is, according to what we have heard. Like I said, I didn't have any issues. They just entered it into the system when I showed the card.

Yes, it is a chipped card. It does contain a photo, black and white. They take the picture from a webcam attached to the workstations then and there. (So try to look presentable when you go. Wish I had taken a tie with me. At least I was properly shaved and had a collared T-Shirt)

And apparently, I am licensed to drive a Land-master/hand-tractor. I have no idea how to, but they put it on the license.

And apparently, I am licensed to drive a Land-master/hand-tractor. I have no idea how to, but they put it on the license.

afaik you can drive land masters in any driving license.

• 5 years later...

Hi Mates,

My driving license too got faded, can't see anything at all. It was issued 2003 ( No expiry date) .

I already gone through the personnel experiences in renewing the licenses in this thread.  

But I wonder whether the procedure and protocols are still same to date  ( 2018 Nov)

Or  Do I need to produce any medical reports ? certified copies of photographs, etc ? 

If anyone went through the process recently, please kindly share the details.

Thanks lot.

Edited by trish_auto

• 1 month later...