• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Driving License Fading

Miyuru Daminda

Hi guys,

I got a new driving license in this march because of a spelling mistake in my old license. After few months, i noticed that it is fading and now it's not possible to read anything there. I heard that motor traffic commission will replace recently issued license. But dono whether i have to pay Rs550 again or they will do it for free. Did anyone faced to such issue?

My license is around 14 years old and age has caught up with, cant read a thing. My office boy has gone and replaced his new license which faded within a month with the brand new one with the chip card. No need of photos as there is scanner, all you have to do is take the existing license, National Id and Rs 1700. New license within a week.

I was planning to go this week, all depends on office time as they take in only 600 applications per day.

Will update if i get it done

My license is around 14 years old and age has caught up with, cant read a thing. My office boy has gone and replaced his new license which faded within a month with the brand new one with the chip card. No need of photos as there is scanner, all you have to do is take the existing license, National Id and Rs 1700. New license within a week.

I was planning to go this week, all depends on office time as they take in only 600 applications per day.

Will update if i get it done

Please do update this thread if things work out for you

I'm also contemplating or rather have been, the thought of getting it sorted , but just don't want to have to go through all that hassle

need to upgrade and get A,A1 as well so wondering if i can get all of it done sometime...

I thought they'd sorted that fading issue out - cuz the licenses issues in 2003-2005 face the same problem.. :(

machan devinda i got mine begining of 2003 and dont have any problems so far...i lost mine last week and was going through the gic website which stated that the one day service is only 770 buks...but didnt have to go through the whole procedure cos i recovered my DL again...

Please do update this thread if things work out for you

I'm also contemplating or rather have been, the thought of getting it sorted , but just don't want to have to go through all that hassle

need to upgrade and get A,A1 as well so wondering if i can get all of it done sometime...

I also have the same problem with my driving license fading. I was told that we can get it sorted out from RMV (Werahera) within a day, and I'm hoping to go tomorrow if all goes well.

Devinda; macho I think you have to go through the whole hassle to get any additional classes included, that means writing the exam and also doing the trial again.

Also the new one looks worse than the old ones. My cousin got it just last week after waiting for more than two weeks and it also looks prone to fading in my knowledge.

mine has faded aswell...issued in 2004...cops dont give any trouble cos they're aware of this fading thingy...but it's only a matter of time before i get caught by some asshat "i know the law" popo and get harassed...so would like to sort it out.

would be nice if we could all go together for the one day service...i hate going to these kinda things alone.

Gummrbr- Please do update us if you get it sorted and the exact procedure. Yes, have to go to weerahare and thats the issue clashing with office timings.

true that cops dont take it seriously as the fading issue is common, but i dont want to take any chances with them and finding a loophole anywhere(Especially after a couple of shots driving!:)

Gummrbr- Please do update us if you get it sorted and the exact procedure. Yes, have to go to weerahare and thats the issue clashing with office timings.

true that cops dont take it seriously as the fading issue is common, but i dont want to take any chances with them and finding a loophole anywhere(Especially after a couple of shots driving!:)

Well they did take it a bit serious when my cousin was stopped on our way back home, he was driving with the L board as he had the permit and I was on passenger side. The cops near the Nawala Keells said that you cannot have a faded license and that its a major offence. Managed to talk out of it and proceeded.

mine has faded aswell...issued in 2004...cops dont give any trouble cos they're aware of this fading thingy...but it's only a matter of time before i get caught by some asshat "i know the law" popo and get harassed...so would like to sort it out.

would be nice if we could all go together for the one day service...i hate going to these kinda things alone.

i wouldn't mind keeping you company if so - but lets figure out the procedure first

Well they did take it a bit serious when my cousin was stopped on our way back home, he was driving with the L board as he had the permit and I was on passenger side. The cops near the Nawala Keells said that you cannot have a faded license and that its a major offence. Managed to talk out of it and proceeded.

those guys are just looking for money :(

I also have the same problem with my driving license fading. I was told that we can get it sorted out from RMV (Werahera) within a day, and I'm hoping to go tomorrow if all goes well.

Devinda; macho I think you have to go through the whole hassle to get any additional classes included, that means writing the exam and also doing the trial again.

Will i be able to use the Defender for the trial run as its registered as a commercial vehicle (motor coach) ? :huh:

According to some, it IS an offence dude, got hassled twice for the license issue... second time by a cop who was openly bribe hunting (or as he put it, "Nadu hoyanna apiwa eliyata dala thiyenne") He was civil enough about it but insisted that this was an offense and that there was no spot fine but it was a court issue... finally wangled my way out of it, 1000 bucks outta pocket

D_z, you were there right?

So add my name to the list. Shall we all pick a day and go at once? My understanding is that you have to go really early, like 5.30 AM early, to get a decent spot in the Que. One of my office guys went a few weeks ago, he had gone at 7 and it was already very long. So it will have to be early then.

So add my name to the list. Shall we all pick a day and go at once? My understanding is that you have to go really early, like 5.30 AM early, to get a decent spot in the Que. One of my office guys went a few weeks ago, he had gone at 7 and it was already very long. So it will have to be early then.

Macho I dont think you need to go early morning to renew, its just for the new licenses where they take only 50 (now from 65) for one day service. But be there early so you can submit documents before 12.00noon then you can get it by evening.

Will i be able to use the Defender for the trial run as its registered as a commercial vehicle (motor coach) ? :huh:

i tried to do the same back in 99 when i was about to go through the practical driving test aka trial. What i've been told by the officials was that the vehicle should have learners coverage (additional insurance coverageand) should be in good fit. If your vehicle can satisfy above you can use it for trial . However what i further gathered was that the learner fellows and officials having a good relationship where if you use your vehicle with all above, still the officials (examinors) will be tough for you and try to their level best to fail you. But if you pay learner guys and use their vehicle for the trial, you stand a higher chance of getting through. This infor may be outdated since it was back in 99 i gathered, any updates on the scenario guys?

Funny thing is, my license which was issued 2008 august, though I got the card only in march and didn't start using it till august (kept using the temp license till then) is already starting to fade!! :blink: And my friend got his license (card) in may and its completely blank. He can't drive now till he gets a new one.. :blink: He's even put a laminated cover over it.. :blink:

Funny thing is, my license which was issued 2008 august, though I got the card only in march and didn't start using it till august (kept using the temp license till then) is already starting to fade!! :blink: And my friend got his license (card) in may and its completely blank. He can't drive now till he gets a new one.. :blink: He's even put a laminated cover over it.. :blink:

With the modern printing techniques, i can't understand why they still cannot print a plastic card that last even 2 years. :action-smiley-060: . My university id card is 4 year old and still looks good , and it cost only Rs.100.

Even the problem is with the motor traffic department, now we have to suffer ( taking photographs, waste a day and go to werahera office ) W*F ..! Land no like other

According to some, it IS an offence dude, got hassled twice for the license issue... second time by a cop who was openly bribe hunting (or as he put it, "Nadu hoyanna apiwa eliyata dala thiyenne") He was civil enough about it but insisted that this was an offense and that there was no spot fine but it was a court issue... finally wangled my way out of it, 1000 bucks outta pocket

D_z, you were there right?

yeah bro,i was just lucky so far i guess,like i said it's only a matter of time before some cop gets me.

brilliant!...you guys let me know a date and we'll go...do we need to take photos again?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello friends...

I got my driving license recently and was really confused with the new system. Anyway if you want to replace/renew or even to get one new you have to be there (RMB at Werahera) as early as possible. So There is a one day service but they take fewer number of applicants. Just call 1919 and tell ur problem.. they might give you the way it should solve...

Nishan

Guys,

I went yesterday.

Superb service.

I had no documents to take. Just my faded license and my National ID.

You need to stand in a que , but its really well organised.

They allow people inside , the tokens are given, you go to a counter ( over 35 counters) , there is a digital picture taken, a form is given , you fill the form, go to another counter hand over, pay the money and collect the license after a few hours.

I had the same day service. Rs 1700/- for the license + 500 for the same day fee.

Took me from 10 am to 2 pm to get it into my hands.

No touts / no bribery / no bull***.

Hats off to the RMV and the people who managed to get it done, with all the political meddling and mafia etc etc etc

Superb job.

The fee depends / changes if you have heavy vehicle etc etc obviously. But all well organised.

Kudos to all concerned.

Guys,

I went yesterday.

Superb service.

I had no documents to take. Just my faded license and my National ID.

You need to stand in a que , but its really well organised.

They allow people inside , the tokens are given, you go to a counter ( over 35 counters) , there is a digital picture taken, a form is given , you fill the form, go to another counter hand over, pay the money and collect the license after a few hours.

I had the same day service. Rs 1700/- for the license + 500 for the same day fee.

Took me from 10 am to 2 pm to get it into my hands.

No touts / no bribery / no bull***.

Hats off to the RMV and the people who managed to get it done, with all the political meddling and mafia etc etc etc

Superb job.

The fee depends / changes if you have heavy vehicle etc etc obviously. But all well organised.

Kudos to all concerned.

Excellent!! My 3 months used license card is already faded!! <_< Shall go there soon. Thanks for the update pradfred. Although 1700 is quite alot for license.. :angry: