• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Inner Tire Touching The Wheel Wells

Az

Question

I changed my tires a couple of months back and went for thicker tires. Originals were 165, new ones are 185. Now, when cornering hard, the inner sides of the tires are touching the wheel wells :( May be somebody on this forum has already faced a similar situation.

Any ideas on how to overcome this? Can some adjustment be done so that the tires are moved a bit outside from their current positions?

Thanks in advance

Az

25 answers to this question

I had a problem wit tyres rubbing the fenders, whenever hard cornering or having 2+ passengers in the backseat. I swapped my wheel rims to a different offset setup, now it doesnt rub at all ;)

Is there a way to resolve this without changing the rims?

word of caution.. it will cost u a bit.. and select the exact type.. because too wide outside you ourside edge of the tire will hit outside wall of the arch...

If it is hitting the inner... chances are it is already jutting out of the wheel arch. Try loading 4 passengers and check, cos installing spacers will worsen the situ.

If it is hitting the inner... chances are it is already jutting out of the wheel arch. Try loading 4 passengers and check, cos installing spacers will worsen the situ.

No, it is not jutting out of the wheel arch. Will try after loading the vehicle. Thanks for the tips.

Fixed 1/4" spacers for all 4 wheels from Amila. Now there is no more rubbing. Each spacer costs Rs. 600.

Thanks guys for your help.

Mate now your handling should be a bit better, Wider wheel base. :D lol But still check on the speed readings etc. Did you pack the car up and try cutting full on each side?

Mate now your handling should be a bit better, Wider wheel base. :D lol But still check on the speed readings etc. Did you pack the car up and try cutting full on each side?

Wider track you mean

wheelbase generally refers to the distance between front & rear axles / wheels afaik

& the implications of running a non standard set up are far less flattering or pleasant than you think, in the long run...

Wider track you mean

wheelbase generally refers to the distance between front & rear axles / wheels afaik

& the implications of running a non standard set up are far less flattering or pleasant than you think, in the long run...

Oh yeah sorry my bad. Mixed up the two.. :blush:

True that, and anyway I doubt a tiny increase in the track will make a significant improvement in handling.. :unsure:

Wider track you mean

Well, the ride is much more softer & comfortable after I went for larger, thicker tiers. I'm assuming that this will put less strain on the suspension as well. Isn't that the case?

Yes, I feel that the handling is a bit better, but that may be a placebo affect :)

I haven't tried cutting full with a packed car at higher speeds

I had a problem wit tyres rubbing the fenders, whenever hard cornering or having 2+ passengers in the backseat. I swapped my wheel rims to a different offset setup, now it doesnt rub at all ;)

I have somewhat the same issue. Interested in knowing where you found alloys with a different offset setup. Cause the standard places i checked like Amila and J.. only has one offset set up which is slightly on the positive side.

Yes, I feel that the handling is a bit better, but that may be a placebo affect :)

I haven't tried cutting full with a packed car at higher speeds

Well if it doesn't rub under normal use, why care? I mean how many times in your life do you plan on whizzing about at breakneck speeds with a car full of adults?

I have somewhat the same issue. Interested in knowing where you found alloys with a different offset setup. Cause the standard places i checked like Amila and J.. only has one offset set up which is slightly on the positive side.

ohh well, I don't know a specific place, coz I was looking for a set of recondition wheels, but I did look around a lot of places around Kandy - Colombo road and in Kurunegala, in the end I exchanged mine to another set of reconditioned wheels at a random place in Kurunegala <_<

ohh well, I don't know a specific place, coz I was looking for a set of recondition wheels, but I did look around a lot of places around Kandy - Colombo road and in Kurunegala, in the end I exchanged mine to another set of reconditioned wheels at a random place in Kurunegala <_<

Hmm... yeah.. looks like reconditioned is the only option and that really doesn't make things easier in terms of finding the right set.

It's a pitty that we don't have places that considers offset set up when selling their wheels. Some places don't even know about the offset, they only talk about the diameter(14", 15") and PCD (dura thavu and langa thavu). If anyone knows about a place that offers wheels with different offsets please post.

Thanks

QUOTE (Prami @ Oct 26 2009, 02:39 PM)

Yep.

Fixed 1/4" spacers for all 4 wheels from Amila. Now there is no more rubbing. Each spacer costs Rs. 600.

Thanks guys for your help.

dude i'm having the same problem. went from 195/65/15's to 205/50/16's. now cant take 3 ppl and the wheels hit the wheel well. 1/4" spacers didthe trick for you, no? any rubbing afterwards?

dude i'm having the same problem. went from 195/65/15's to 205/50/16's. now cant take 3 ppl and the wheels hit the wheel well. 1/4" spacers didthe trick for you, no? any rubbing afterwards?

Yeah. It's been 2.5 years since I added the spacers & everything has been fine so far.