• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Park And Ride

Le Sabre

Question

'Park and ride' goes up to Wadduwa from Nov 1

The Cityliner premium bus service 'Park and Ride' which operates from Moratuwa to Colombo Fort will be extended up to Wadduwa from November 1 as a measure to curb the traffic congestion and man power loss.

Already 117 daily commuters ride in the luxury bus to the Colombo Fort.

Addressing a media-briefing in Colombo yesterday, National Transport Commission (NTC) Advisor M.B.S. Fernando said the NTC has also selected a site to develop a "Park and Ride" in Kadawatha following good public responses.

He said the present service operating from Moratuwa to Colombo Fort has been able to attract a considerable volume of passengers. Already 117 daily commuters who travel by car or motorcycle, park their vehicles at Katubedda and ride in a luxury bus to the Colombo Fort.

Places in Talangama, Katunayake, Homagama, Ja-ela and Werahera have also been identified to operate the Cityliner service.

In addition to the office service, plans are afoot to commence the Cityliner service to cater to the shopping crowd in the afternoon. It will be operated on main roads and streets where main shopping malls and supermarkets are located.

The NTC commenced this service under the instructions of Transport Minister Dullas Alahapperuma with the main objective of reducing traffic on the roads by private vehicle owners who motor to the City daily.

The NTC implements the service to reduce the number of private vehicles entering and operating within the City from 200,000 to 150,000 and thereby reducing traffic congestion, consumption of fuel and environment pollution.

"The project would save an annual petrol and diesel cost of Rs.560 and Rs.260 respectively spent by motorists who enter the Colombo Fort in their private vehicles due to traffic congestion in Colombo and its suburbs," he said.

"We operate 24 turns for the two way service daily at a reasonable price," he said. Turns will be increased up to 150 by allocating more buses to the project.

This facility provides parking for around 150 vehicles and it operates from Moratuwa and Fort via Nawam Mawatha. Initially the Moratuwa-Fort service will operate every 30 minutes between 6.30 a.m. and 8.30 a.m. and will return from Fort from 4.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.

Park and Ride schemes are often marketed as a way to avoid the difficulties of driving in congested traffic and to avoid the cost of parking within the City centre.

The Cityliner service is designed for commuters to read, relax or even work on their laptop computers while offering low cost and less stressful travelling to the City.

11 answers to this question

I tried out the service on Tuesday and must say I was impressed......placed a call to book a ride and was told to stay outside the office at a given time and it was there on the dot.

In fact I know a couple of people who take it daily and they have nothing but praise for it.

You let them know early enough an they pick you up from even town hall.

I only hope they continue to offer a reliable service............

I hope they have a lot of customers now...cos I still haven't seen much publicity about the thing. Would be a shame if it died due to bad marketing.

Well 117 daily customers isn't really a lot, I for one can't imagine how they are sustaining themselves....

i see them in the mornings but do worry if they can manage to continue as i don't see too many ppl :(

its quite a nice idea - if only people would get around to giving it a shot...

there where a few ads in the newspapers during the last few months, but nothing in terms of a planned or substantial marketing effort

I tried out the service on Tuesday and must say I was impressed......placed a call to book a ride and was told to stay outside the office at a given time and it was there on the dot.

In fact I know a couple of people who take it daily and they have nothing but praise for it.

You let them know early enough an they pick you up from even town hall.

I only hope they continue to offer a reliable service............

mind sharing the charges?

i have no idea abt it..

i see them in the mornings but do worry if they can manage to continue as i don't see too many ppl :(

its quite a nice idea - if only people would get around to giving it a shot...

there where a few ads in the newspapers during the last few months, but nothing in terms of a planned or substantial marketing effort

+2 a good concept....hope the ppl will giv it a shot.....& it it picks up it'll benefit a lot of ppl....individual drivers as well with less traffic on the roads....

Another thing which might help boost the park and ride service is that if they expand to locations that they operate outside the city.

This might bring in more people.

Also they should have good and secure parking spaces and some other facilities that will tempt the people to use this service.

Another thing which might help boost the park and ride service is that if they expand to locations that they operate outside the city.

This might bring in more people.

Also they should have good and secure parking spaces and some other facilities that will tempt the people to use this service.

profit of this project is not merely off from the revenue. amount of $$ we can save as a country on fuel due to this project too will be an indirect profit for this. However i'm not sure how government gonna manage this, coz every month there are additions to the traffic so the more ppl park and ride there will be more join to enjoy the less traffic :) govt should think of entry fee mechanism to further de motivate motorists and at the same time invest for metro train service

mind sharing the charges?

i have no idea abt it..

Machang from what I experienced it was Rs. 200/- for a two way ticket. BUT I was told by the crew of the bus and the gentleman at the counter that when you buy one it also means that you can go to and from Moratuwa as many times as you like till the time of the last bus.

They also have weekly tickets and monthly which are a cheaper option to buy if you hope to be

a long term user. Can't remember the rates tho.

I have a friend who uses the service daily and and he has no complaints whatsoever.

Swears by the fact that he saves quite a bit on travel this way.

All you have to do is call 0714997722 for reservations and further details.

Machang from what I experienced it was Rs. 200/- for a two way ticket. BUT I was told by the crew of the bus and the gentleman at the counter that when you buy one it also means that you can go to and from Moratuwa as many times as you like till the time of the last bus.

They also have weekly tickets and monthly which are a cheaper option to buy if you hope to be

a long term user. Can't remember the rates tho.

I have a friend who uses the service daily and and he has no complaints whatsoever.

Swears by the fact that he saves quite a bit on travel this way.

All you have to do is call 0714997722 for reservations and further details.

then this is only worth if a car is used by one person.

If two or more travel by one car, then it can cost more than pertrol....

so ppl will think abt that too