• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2004 Honda Civic Es8 / Es5??

rangerover

Question

Guys, im currently having a budget of around 2.7 - 3.2. And i really wanna go for a Honda civic. Would the 2004 model facelift civc fit in the range (similar to a one advertised on AL. I dont mind a brand new J Series or K series reconditioned ones, but am particular on the fabric interior. Im sure there are so many Honda owners who could help on this fact

Also, at that price range are there any other 2003 upward cars (Japanese) that you guys recommend (except for the vios)

7 hours ago, rukmaldk said:

Check if it has been maintained (repairs and servicing) by the agents as most typical makabaases will ruin a honda in minutes, and most importantly the condition of the gearbox if it has an automatic/CVT. There have been a lot of talk about this particular issue especially in the cars which have done above 150k. 

For the most part my ES8 has been trouble free, and gets very decent fuel mileage

@rukmaldk Thank for responding.

Yeah that is my concern as I am looking for the CVT model due to its good fuel mileage. 

Most of these 2000-2004 models must have passed the 150K mark by now, hence I do not trust the ODO.

How can I check the condition of the CVT gearbox? Can I get it done at the agent? or any other third party place to check? 

Any idea about the market value difference of ES8 Vs ES1?

Also what are the mileages you are getting?

Stafford Rattanapitiya branch has been good with their service and do not upsell as much as TL. I get mine maintained there too. 

In very heavy traffic i now run about 6.5- 7kmpl but in light traffic it goes upto 10-11. On highway i have done around 18 a few times and on long trips upcountry around 15.5kml

these are rev happy engines and therefore suit a more brisk driving style. As such dont keep the revs below 2k at all times in the hope of increasing fuel mileage as it wont happen. 

On 6/5/2017 at 1:45 PM, san1985 said:

@rukmaldk Thank for responding.

Yeah that is my concern as I am looking for the CVT model due to its good fuel mileage. 

Most of these 2000-2004 models must have passed the 150K mark by now, hence I do not trust the ODO.

How can I check the condition of the CVT gearbox? Can I get it done at the agent? or any other third party place to check? 

Any idea about the market value difference of ES8 Vs ES1?

Also what are the mileages you are getting?

Given the age of the cars whatever small gain you get from the cvt might be offset if you have to replace the gearbox. CVT's gearboxes are costly and even if you can repair one it will still be more costly than an auto. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Stig said:

Given the age of the cars whatever small gain you get from the cvt might be offset if you have to replace the gearbox. CVT's gearboxes are costly and even if you can repair one it will still be more costly than an auto. 

Not forgetting that CVT fluid needs changing more frequently than Auto. Stafford recommends Auto to be done at 40k and CVT at 30k.

i have found that Stafford replace the oil at no extra cost if you do it at the routine service, and will charge only for the cost of the oil.

All in all, you are better off purchasing an auto ES8/ES5  than a CVT

On 6/9/2017 at 10:30 AM, rukmaldk said:

Stafford Rattanapitiya branch has been good with their service and do not upsell as much as TL. I get mine maintained there too. 

In very heavy traffic i now run about 6.5- 7kmpl but in light traffic it goes upto 10-11. On highway i have done around 18 a few times and on long trips upcountry around 15.5kml

these are rev happy engines and therefore suit a more brisk driving style. As such dont keep the revs below 2k at all times in the hope of increasing fuel mileage as it wont happen. 

Thats awesome fuel mileages for a Honda. Thanks for these valuable information given.. i am anyway a brisk driver :P

On 6/9/2017 at 4:07 PM, rukmaldk said:

Not forgetting that CVT fluid needs changing more frequently than Auto. Stafford recommends Auto to be done at 40k and CVT at 30k.

i have found that Stafford replace the oil at no extra cost if you do it at the routine service, and will charge only for the cost of the oil.

All in all, you are better off purchasing an auto ES8/ES5  than a CVT

I would like to go for a CVT rather an auto due to its great fuel mileage

Still on the hunt for a good ride without much luck..!!

On 03/10/2016 at 10:42 PM, rajithanw said:

ES8 is better in fuel.  My one did above 15kmpl constantly long run,  sometimes above 18kmpl in zero traffic journeys about speeds of 70-90.  

Bro massive values.. Had the 1.6 VTI Es-5 never did more than 11-12 and on the way to arugam bay even with speeds between 80-100 at an average dint do more than 13-14??... U towed it or something to get those hybrid car figures?