• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Fortuner

Rosh_p

Hi Guys,

I am beginning to like Toyota Fortuner. Any one got any experience with it? Willing to share the experience? Please help to enlighten me! I like to know the prices, comfort and performance. Do you guys think this is suitable to use in Sri Lanka OR should I look for some thing else like RAV4?

Thanks a Ton.

i too am curious to hear about this - i don't recall ever having met a long term first hand user, so keen to hear any comments

everyone knows it based & built on the Hilux platform but i wonder how it rides n so on

then theres the 2.7L engine & the Thai build quality..

its one of the best selling SUV's in the south asian region so it may well be suitable enough for SL , but i do wonder how it holds up in long term use..

Can't comment on long term use, but I test drove a couple when I was looking for a SUV about 2 months ago. I was very impressed with the ride and power. The engine is better suited to it than the Prado. We recently took the inlaws prado (07 model with the 2.7) to Habarana and with 6 people on board it really struggled with the overtaking etc.

The Fortuner seemed well built - to Toyota standards, and no rattles etc. Leather trim etc fitted well. Very (very!) quiet inside! The one downside for us though was the huge extra seats. While this is great meaning you could squeeze in some smallish adults in the back, it meant that your luggage room is severly compromised even when the seats are in their hanging position. It would've been better if they folded flat into the floor.

For the asking price (they seem to start at low 7's for a 2-3 year old model), I didn't see value as such.

You should visit some of the Indonesian and Thai based Toyota sites since these are the markets it was designed for, something upwards of the Kijang, which is immensely popular there.

Edited by terrabytetango

Thank guys! I came to know that these are assembled in India also. So, my assumption was, if it is sutable for India, then it should fit for Sri Lanka also. There are lot of Indian web sited with reviews and other stuff, but I really do not buy the hype of indian reviews and comments, they really overdo most of the times.

I am happy with the power but long term use is a concern!

Edited by Rosh_p

....................There are lot of Indian web sited with reviews and other stuff, but I really do not buy the hipe of indian reviews and comments, they really overdo most of the times. .......................

Indians were waiting for the Fortuner since 2005, but Toyota Kirloskar Motors postponed the launch year by year citing factory capacity constraints etc. Finally they launched the Fortuner 1 1/2 months ago, and it is said that they have received a record number of bookings within few weeks. That might be the reason for the hype. :)

I owned one in Thailand for more than 2 years and bought as brand new. It was a 3.0 DVD V Grade and YOM2007.

I will strongly recommend to any one. It has a maximum speed of 200kmph on the odo and I even drove on the 200kmph for continuously for more than an hour and man the ride and also the engine was so smooth. I had done 70,000kms on my own in two years starting from brand new. I love Fortuner.

But I don't have any first hand experience with the 2.7vvti ones. I've heard the petrol ones also good as the diesel ones.

Are you serious? So does that mean the 3 litre new Hiluxs are capable of those same speeds?? Good grief, all we were missing were state owned double cabs capable of 200kmh.

Should be.. those Common Rails are nasty and mean in power. 3.0L 1KD-FTV developing 170HPs and 2.5L 2KD-FTV developing 120HP..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KD_engine

Brand new double cabs sold by the Agents are 2.5L ones if i remember correct..

Edited by Ruslan

Yeah, one thing you'd know with a Defender was that even your mum's Maruti is faster than one of those, although the newest Tata powered examples (and even the Ford powered ones earlier) are rather quick.

Yeah, one thing you'd know with a Defender was that even your mum's Maruti is faster than one of those, although the newest Tata powered examples (and even the Ford powered ones earlier) are rather quick.

that was a very embarrassing lesson i learned very early on in ownership with an under compressed normally aspirated 2.5 :lol:

i've heard the new 6 forward units are brisk but haven't gotten a chance to sit behind the wheel of one yet :( & for the record the new ones are still Ford powered in that they run a 2.4L unit from the Transit Van! :blink:

no no calm down - i think terrabytetango was going for Transit powered as pointed out :)

Yes, I think I lost track of my cynicism there for a minute :action-smiley-060:

Edited by terrabytetango

Bugger is not working at present machan.... Looking for greener pastures, so AL keeps him busy till then! :lol:

:lol: this would explain his 'eternal presence' then.... he he You could even say he's in the

entertainment industry now in that case.......... :P entertainment for AL that is........

no no calm down - i think terrabytetango was going for Transit powered as pointed out :)

i often worry that the Ant on the sig is gonna end up with me scratching my screen rather badly one of these days! :lol:

The first time I saw the damm ant I was trying so hard to get rid of it from the screen, feel like such a fool!

Speaking of off topic...Devinda, is this what you do at work? :P Thought they were keepin you busy? he he

oh believe me they were!

Bugger is not working at present machan.... Looking for greener pastures, so AL keeps him busy till then! :lol:

more like "blue-er skies" ;)

but that plan got "grounded" all too soon :(